Motorbike insurance

racket

Hello,

I'm looking for a comprehensive BigBike insurance, which covers damage to the insured vehicle regardless of fault in case of accident, fire, theft, or natural disaster as well as liability to third parties (property damage and bodily injury) when the driver is at fault.

Since my bike is 300cc. I need a compulsory third-party liability insurance is known as "Por Ror Bor" among locals. From what I read, you will need this type of insurance if you bike is over 150cc, according to thai law.

Which are the most best choices of insurance companies in Thailand?

Thank you! 

Edited by racket

2 hours ago, racket said:

Since my bike is 300cc. I need a compulsory third-party liability insurance is known as "Por Ror Bor" among locals. From what I read, you will need this type of insurance if you bike is over 150cc, according to thai law.

All motorbikes (even a 110 cc) need the compulsory insurance.

But coverage and price are a joke.

I assume your thread would get more attention in the motor forum?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

All motorbikes (even a 110 cc) need the compulsory insurance.

But coverage and price are a joke.

I assume your thread would get more attention in the motor forum?

Most likely, could you move it there? 

Thx.

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Just ask one of the locals where to get insurance. It's not as if they'll be a big difference in prices.

Most locals don't have motorbike insurance, unless they paid for mandatory tax&insurance at the transportation office. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, racket said:

Which are the most best choices of insurance companies in Thailand?

Be aware that Roojai - while easy to access online, is priced higher than other companies. Not much, but some. And I have found their coverage limits to be lower. The worst of both worlds - higher price and less coverage.

But they sure are convenient.

I have all my bikes with MSIG except the PCX - it is with Paiboon which was almost 1/2 of Roojai

• Like 2

10 hours ago, racket said:

Most locals don't have motorbike insurance,

I agree, most locals in the sticks won't have motorbike insurance. Hence why he stands a better chance asking someone with a 'BigBike' who'll more likely have full cover. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I agree, most locals in the sticks won't have motorbike insurance. Hence why he stands a better chance asking someone with a 'BigBike' who'll more likely have full cover. 

Got you, now it makes sense.

I always carry third-class insurance on the motorbikes owned by my wife and stepson as they provide me protection the consequences from an unfortunate accident such as injury or death at an exceedingly reasonable cost of ThB3,000 per year.  For that payment I avoid paying for 500k/10M/1M (per person/per accident/property )liability and the first 50K of medical payments (not to mention bail bond).   

I don't care about first class on the bikes we have - chump change, but even though I am not the person riding (gave up after 50-years), I know I would be on the hook for costs can afford to insure against, so I am glad to pay the modest costs of keeping third-class insurance.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mudcat said:

I always carry third-class insurance on the motorbikes owned by my wife and stepson as they provide me protection the consequences from an unfortunate accident such as injury or death at an exceedingly reasonable cost of ThB3,000 per year.  For that payment I avoid paying for 500k/10M/1M (per person/per accident/property )liability and the first 50K of medical payments (not to mention bail bond).   

I don't care about first class on the bikes we have - chump change, but even though I am not the person riding (gave up after 50-years), I know I would be on the hook for costs can afford to insure against, so I am glad to pay the modest costs of keeping third-class insurance.

I have been doing some thinking, and might go ahead and skip additional coverage for potential fires, theft, national disasters and floods.

This just adds up to the premium costs, as I'm more interested in covering the cost of myself, the bike and the third-party whether liability is property damage, medical bills for injuries etc. - regardless whose fault it is.

Mind sharing what insurance company you have?

Edited by racket

Both bikes are insured with MSIG through AA insurance in Pattaya.  Our contact person is Nam - our car is too old for the previous carrier's first class program, so they switched us to AIG which still gives us enough residual value for a down-payment if there is a total loss.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2022 at 8:24 PM, eisfeld said:

Bad advice. Most locals do not know where to get a proper big bike insurance with the coverage the OP talked about. And yes, there are very big differences in prices and coverage.

@racket: Roojai is one you can try (online), you can also try a broker like Mister Prakan (https://misterprakan.com/en/motorbike/motorbike-insurance-thailand?lg=en).

Big bike dealerships usually have a deal with some insurance company and include 1 year first class insurance or offer it at a discount. You can ask the dealership of your motorbike which insurance company they usually work with. I had in the past insurance from Bangkok Insurance, Tokio Marine and another one that starts with a C, forgot the name... Cosmo or something? I know Tokio Marine has an office not far from Central.

As previously stated any motorbike needs compulsary insurance and what changes with cc is the price.

Tokio Marine has stopped insuring bikes over 4 years old, I was with them for 7 years with my Forza.

I was just asking about this in another thread, if in Phuket , there are two insurance companies who sit right outside DLT office in that small box, that's where everyone buys there compulsory insurance, but they also offer higher level of coverage, I had their fliers but lost it, if you like you can check them, they can print you insurance certificate there and then if you choose one and pay - I think for older bikes it's something like 2nd or 3rd class, not sure...!

I will be checking with them next month as I have to renew my tax, insurance etc .