Masks in banks?

SidJames

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why is it courteous if it isn't a requirement? Surely, it's just a matter of personal choice. 

I don't know if I have ever been in a place in Thailand where every single person was maskless, although I do notice it is mostly foreigners who do not wear them.

When in Rome etc.

I have been wearing a mask in all buildings except my own home for two and a half years and in my town I would be very much in a minority if I didn't and possibly inviting more unwanted attention as a foreigner!

I agree with the OP and other posts about the perceived futility of it but...

When I am confronted with an irritation in public, and in private for that matter, it is easier to concede than be angry and argue the principle that isn't worth it and it definitely saves time, heightened stress levels and potential embarrassment from a watching audience.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

Their premises, their rules.

Of course, and you will have noticed from my posts that supermarkets in and around Pattaya don't require it, as I haven't been asked anywhere for the past 2 weeks, and I'm not the only maskless person inside either.

On the streets in Bangkok most non-Thais don't wear masks, like me. Thais are obsessed with them. Explain to me the science behind sitting in a restaurant, eating, talking ad drinking without a mask and then going out on the street after putting a mask on. And there is more nonsense around. Of course any authoritarian government has an interest in keeping its citizens scared. Prolongation of the emergency situation for instance. And I would not be surprised if many officials have shares in companies that produce face masks. I don't see them disappearing soon, like in the rest of the world. And of course on a motorbike they offer better protection than an uncomfortable helmet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

On the streets in Bangkok most non-Thais don't wear masks, like me. Thais are obsessed with them. Explain to me the science behind sitting in a restaurant, eating, talking ad drinking without a mask and then going out on the street after putting a mask on. And there is more nonsense around. Of course any authoritarian government has an interest in keeping its citizens scared. Prolongation of the emergency situation for instance. And I would not be surprised if many officials have shares in companies that produce face masks. I don't see them disappearing soon, like in the rest of the world. And of course on a motorbike they offer better protection than an uncomfortable helmet.

are you not worried about the pollution whilst out and about on the streets of Bangkok? I went full maskless for the first time the other day but quickly regretted not bringing the blessed thing after about a minute on the back of the motorcycle taxi. 

think I'll keep one in the back pocket from now on, just in case.

16 hours ago, peterfranks said:
17 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Also the mandate is for public places.  Not private like Banks, shopping malls, Makro.  You'll most likely be asked to wear a mask.

Yes, public places, since they don't have any rights to demand what happens in private places.

Did you see my post that in the past 2 weeks I have visited 3 different Makro branches, and visit Big C and other supermarkets and hardware stores like HomePro and Thaiwatsadu on an almost daily basis, and have never been asked to wear a mask?

All those stores mentioned have security at the entrance.

Banks, Supermakets, shopping malls etc while privately owned are public spaces - they are most definitely not considered ‘private areas’ either by the law, or by anyone with common sense. 

As to whether they are considered ‘crowded areas’... that comes down to discretion - If a supermarket is only has 10 people in it, its obviously not crowded, yet at a different time of day it can be extremely busy and crowded.

Whether someone is asked to wear a mask may come down to the store, or even the coincidence of the staff in that store themselves.

It would be somewhat naive of someone to think its ok to not wear a mask in a busy public place like a supermarket just because they were not asked... its quite likely the staff were too shy or too scared to ask, or didn’t know how to approach the foreigner etc...  meanwhile they stood / sat / walked around uncomfortably thinking negatively of said foreigner.... Equally so, they may just not care and like many westerners are already over it. 

I’m going to HomePro today, I’ll take my mask and put it on if the staff are wearing one.

I simply consider that the polite thing to do regardless of my thoughts of...

- Mask wearing itself

- Effectiveness

- Legalities

- My personal agenda

- Want to teach all those around me that they are sheep

- Proving my own independent thought

- Personal protest again being controlled by a government wanting to maintain its grip

- Any other exaggerated rationalisation to justify my position

Its just easier to mask up and its not really hurting anyone...  it’ll wear off in a few months. 

That said: I’d like to see mask wearing on / in public transport continue. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SidJames said:

I understood that they had to wear them during lockdown etc but those restrictions have been lifted besides which I often saw them take off their masks when sat in the little back office those days.

I wonder why they still carry on like this.

It's a private area, so if they wish you to wear a mask, you wear a mask or stay out...????

Masks as far as the eye can see. It seems like an obsession. The numbers are falling, yet masking outdoors is still common. 

I wear a mask indoors. It has nothing to do with my health. It is all about the mental health of the locals. Don't want them to lose their minds from fear of the unmasked. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Why should their clients put up with this nonsense?  It's not their money, it's MINE that they are holding, and I should have a right to it.  If they do not wish for me to enter their bank, for whatever reason, they must provide an alternative means to return my money to me.

ATM

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Masks as far as the eye can see. It seems like an obsession. The numbers are falling, yet masking outdoors is still common. 

I wear a mask indoors. It has nothing to do with my health. It is all about the mental health of the locals. Don't want them to lose their minds from fear of the unmasked. 

Sensible............????

Why should their clients put up with this nonsense?  It's not their money, it's MINE that they are holding, and I should have a right to it.  If they do not wish for me to enter their bank, for whatever reason, they must provide an alternative means to return my money to me.

Supply them wiv a fishing rod and reel, then stand under their upstairs window....????

I'm sure they will accommodate the odd fruitcake....????

I hope they close your  account.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

People wear masks in Asia especially inbthe Flu season so do smart  foreigners.

"The white is right" entitled white men shout loudest against local  culture and customs so why not go back to home  country and stop  making problems here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Banks, Supermakets, shopping malls etc while privately owned are public spaces - they are most definitely not considered ‘private areas’ either by the law, or by anyone with common sense. 

As to whether they are considered ‘crowded areas’... that comes down to discretion - If a supermarket is only has 10 people in it, its obviously not crowded, yet at a different time of day it can be extremely busy and crowded.

Whether someone is asked to wear a mask may come down to the store, or even the coincidence of the staff in that store themselves.

It would be somewhat naive of someone to think its ok to not wear a mask in a busy public place like a supermarket just because they were not asked... its quite likely the staff were too shy or too scared to ask, or didn’t know how to approach the foreigner etc...  meanwhile they stood / sat / walked around uncomfortably thinking negatively of said foreigner.... Equally so, they may just not care and like many westerners are already over it. 

I’m going to HomePro today, I’ll take my mask and put it on if the staff are wearing one.

I simply consider that the polite thing to do regardless of my thoughts of...

- Mask wearing itself

- Effectiveness

- Legalities

- My personal agenda

- Want to teach all those around me that they are sheep

- Proving my own independent thought

- Personal protest again being controlled by a government wanting to maintain its grip

- Any other exaggerated rationalisation to justify my position

Its just easier to mask up and its not really hurting anyone...  it’ll wear off in a few months. 

That said: I’d like to see mask wearing on / in public transport continue. 

Sound good. 

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

People wear masks in Asia especially inbthe Flu season so do smart  foreigners.

"The white is right" entitled white men shout loudest against local  culture and customs so why not go back to home  country and stop  making problems here.

Do they wear masks in the home country?  And are people all uniform in thinking and action in the home country?  Is it right to expect everyone to think alike?

This has little to do with race, entitlement, or disrespect.  From my perspective, I respect others more by not wearing the mask.  Why?  Because I show them that I am not afraid of them.  I am willing to be vulnerable in their presence, and oftentimes they will also remove their masks.  And guess what?  I am not sick, nor sickened, nor are they harmed by my presence.

I attend a group gathering of people, nearly always the same ones, regularly...and for the first two or three hours, a number of them will have masks on, almost as if it were a religious duty.  But then comes mealtime, and, guess what? All those masks come off and we spend the next hour eating together.  It seems rather silly to have worn the mask, then, does it not? 

But there has been no outbreak.  Nor should one be expected.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:11 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Krunsgri Big C Extrq also want masks, security guard took my book to update for me, I'm not wearing a mask. 

Off to Bangkok next week, taking a mask in case they're mask strict on BTS.

As to why, just think they are a bit stupid 

Number one: Use a Mask

Number two: no helmet....no problem

On 9/2/2022 at 5:39 PM, AsianAtHeart said:

Hehe, its not your money but the banks. The bank can repay the loan you made to them on demand.

Edited by userabcd

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know if I have ever been in a place in Thailand where every single person was maskless, although I do notice it is mostly foreigners who do not wear them.

When in Rome etc.

Where I am, many of the Thais are not wearing them--unless they go to a superstore or something, then they virtually all do.   (I think they still believe it is required in those places.)   Just around town, it's hard to say exactly, but I'd estimate that it's close to 50/50 on mask wearing.  The trend toward removing them began sometime back, and, in this locality, at least, it began with the elderly.  The older Thais were the first to go maskless.  That seemed to set an example for others to follow.

EDIT: I should add that where I am there are few foreigners, and the trend that I have seen shows the foreigners wearing masks more consistently than the Thai.  I'm one of the exceptions among the foreigners here.  I can go days, though, without seeing another foreigner.

Edited by AsianAtHeart

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I hope they close your  account.

Some banks in the U.S. do this if they get tired of dealing with nut case customers, either in-person or on the phone.  And they don't tell the customer they're doing this or maybe they do, but the customer I know just didn't listen.  I know someone who lost his home to foreclosure because the bank tired of his tirades on his phone calls from Thailand where he was hospitalized for a while, closed his account and the auto-payments of his mortgage stopped.  He was from a state that permitted banks to do this and had no recourse.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This Carries a special level of fluckwittery in a Bank when everyone else is wearing a mask !!! 

Why should a bank be more concerning than a post office or grocery store?  Or maybe I just don't know that word you used--couldn't find it in my dictionary.