Masks in banks?

SidJames

17 hours ago, peterfranks said:
22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

it’ll wear off in a few months.

That's also what they said 6 months ago, and now even 2 months after the government has published in the Royal gazette that masks are voluntarily NATIONWIDE, there are still people who find and excuse.

Just to go by your post.

You went from crowded places, to busy places, and at the end places where you see the staff wearing a mask, to advocate the wearing of one.

As long as those mask advocates are active, it will never wear off.

Its already wearing off...  But I don’t really care about mask wearing, I’d prefer not to, but its not something that really bothers me enough to start calling people ‘mask advocates’ etc... I just don’t see an issue with it - if people want to wear a mask thats up to them. 

I will continued to wear a mask on the BTS because I think its a good idea in crowded places, not just for Covid, but for regular colds and flu. 

• Like 1

Public, private, irrelevant.  If a business wants you to wear a mask to enter, you wear, or don't enter.

Thankfully only Makro requires (locally) to enter, then once in, UP2U.  7-11s no longer requires, or haven't lately, and that's locally, Krung Thep & Udon Thani.  No request to wear or even dagger eyes from staff.  Think more envious since they have to wear.

Nobody cares any more, or, my experiences of late.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:
21 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

People wear masks in Asia especially inbthe Flu season so do smart  foreigners.

"The white is right" entitled white men shout loudest against local  culture and customs so why not go back to home  country and stop  making problems here.

Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. 

Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? 

A good response. 

Sadly, some people see any negative comment on forums such as this as ‘Thai Bashing’... 

Their binary view point argues that If you are not 100% in love with everything Thai then you hate Thailand. 

As you wrote, their comments are ridiculous inane and hardly worth comment, yet its frustrating to be accused of having ‘rose tinted glasses’ or being a ‘Thai apologist’ in one thread because you don’t agree with someone’s post that all Thai’s hate us, yet in another thread to be accused of a ‘Thai basher’ because I am critical of the attitudes towards safety in Thailand. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t really care what the rules are when it comes to mask wearing - within reason I’ll do what most people around are doing... I’m not going to waste too much time thinking about it or the legalities etc. 

IF in a supermarket or a bank the security guards, staff and most people are wearing a mask I’ll put a mask on to make those around me more comfortable - I don’t feel the need to make my own individual little protest.

I do feel some people are taking this ‘anti-mask’ argument too far and standing up for their rights etc to not wear a mask... It’s just a mask, its not like they’ll come for your freedom and guns next !!! 

IF walking in and out of a restaurant, I won’t bother wearing a mask for 10 seconds, the mask is going to be taken off when sat down anyway.

IF in a general shopping mall, I’ll wear a mask if that ’seems to be expected’, its no great hardship to wear one. 

IF in a park or walking down the road etc I won’t wear a mask - I just don’t think it necessary outdoors  and wearing a mask outdoors really does feel stuffy. 

On the BTS I will wear a mask, I think thats good idea anyway - even to assist with protection and prevention of the spread of influenza etc. 

I’ll put my mask on in a Taxi IF the taxi driver is wearing a mask, thats for his benefit. 

When I was in Bangkok a few months ago before the mask wearing was dropped, I wore a mask for several hours during the afternoon, and my nose was running constantly, In early evening I had the worst runny nose ever and as soon as I got back to my hotel and took the mask off, after a short time my runny nose stopped.

After that my mask wearing stopped apart from going into a supermarket, or the MRT with my nose staying uncovered all the time. If ever I feel obliged to wear a mask to save any hard feelings from anyone, my nose will be staying uncovered.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder how many banks throughout the world have been robbed so easily throughout this pandemic because everyone is wearing masks, and anyone caught on camera anywhere in stores or in the street will not be recognised, it won't take long for criminals to change their clothing.

What I am saying is all this mask wearing must be a haven for criminals, and yet I have not read of anyone committing any crimes and getting away with it because everyone is wearing masks.

Is the crime statistics deliberately being kept quiet? I mean in general throughout the world.

Yes, definitely. It's a conspiracy. All the banks worldwide exchange emails every week with the number of masked bank robberies they each had.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Unless needing to get into the vendor, in the past, my nose was always uncovered.  Just too hot and uncomfortable breathing & feeling my own exhaust.

If not physically unhealthy, mentally stressful ????

Besides, not being clean shaven every day, that mask is useless ... IMHO

The mask still stops much of the particles carrying the virus coming from your mouth and nose. The virus is most efficiently transmitted on droplets than any other vector.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The mask still stops much of the particles carrying the virus coming from your mouth and nose. The virus is most efficiently transmitted on droplets than any other vector.

Do you have a study to show that?  I have heard doctors saying virtually the opposite--unless, of course, your mask is one of those respirator style devices that covers virtually your whole face and bulges out on each cheek.

14 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Do you have a study to show that?  I have heard doctors saying virtually the opposite--unless, of course, your mask is one of those respirator style devices that covers virtually your whole face and bulges out on each cheek.

Is it groundhog day so we have to start over again? Literally dozens of links already posted on the subject but here goes.

They're meant to protect the wearer from contact with droplets and sprays that may contain germs

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Respiratory infections can be transmitted through droplets of different sizes: when the droplet particles are >5-10 μm in diameter they are referred to as respiratory droplets, and when then are <5μm in diameter, they are referred to as droplet nuclei.1 According to current evidence, COVID-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/modes-of-transmission-of-virus-causing-covid-19-implications-for-ipc-precaution-recommendations

During these close-up, face-to-face interactions, a common belief is that a susceptible person wearing a face mask is safe, at least to a large extent, from foreign airborne sneeze and cough droplets. This study, for the first time, quantitatively verifies this notion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7757609/

The probability of infection changes nonlinearly with the amount of respiratory matter to which a person is exposed. If most people in the wider community wear even simple surgical masks, then the probability of an encounter with a virus particle is even further limited.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abg6296

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Is it groundhog day so we have to start over again? Literally dozens of links already posted on the subject but here goes.

They're meant to protect the wearer from contact with droplets and sprays that may contain germs

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Respiratory infections can be transmitted through droplets of different sizes: when the droplet particles are >5-10 μm in diameter they are referred to as respiratory droplets, and when then are <5μm in diameter, they are referred to as droplet nuclei.1 According to current evidence, COVID-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/modes-of-transmission-of-virus-causing-covid-19-implications-for-ipc-precaution-recommendations

During these close-up, face-to-face interactions, a common belief is that a susceptible person wearing a face mask is safe, at least to a large extent, from foreign airborne sneeze and cough droplets. This study, for the first time, quantitatively verifies this notion.

Please make up your mind.

In your previous post you claim they protect spreading by the wearer, now you claim they protect the wearer.

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The probability of infection changes nonlinearly with the amount of respiratory matter to which a person is exposed. If most people in the wider community wear even simple surgical masks, then the probability of an encounter with a virus particle is even further limited.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abg6296

Honestly, I've seen to many COI issues with WHO and CDC, and no longer put much confidence in either of them--and Mayo these days seems to just toe the party line as well.  So I looked at the link from the NIH that you included.  Did you even read it?  Read this excerpt again...

Five masks were tested in a snug-fit configuration (i.e., with no leakage around the edges): N-95, surgical, cloth PM 2.5, cloth, and wetted cloth PM 2.5. Except for the N-95 mask, the findings showed leakage of airborne droplets through all the face masks in both the configurations of (1) a susceptible person wearing a mask for protection and (2) a virus carrier wearing a mask to prevent the spreading of the virus. When the leakage percentages of these airborne droplets were expressed in terms of the number of virus particles, it was found that masks would not offer complete protection to a susceptible person from a viral infection in close (e.g., <6 ft) face-to-face or frontal human interactions.

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Honestly, I've seen to many COI issues with WHO and CDC, and no longer put much confidence in either of them--and Mayo these days seems to just toe the party line as well.  So I looked at the link from the NIH that you included.  Did you even read it?  Read this excerpt again...

Did somebody ever say that masks offered complete protection or that they weren't useful because they offered only partial protection?

One of the links said this so you may want to reflect on what that means.

The probability of infection changes nonlinearly with the amount of respiratory matter to which a person is exposed.

I guess all of you anti-maskers never wear a condom with a prostitute. I mean, it's not mandated. Why don't you demand your rights to get infected there?

Nobody dies of HIV either. It's the other diseases that kill you if you have it untreated. So what's the difference?

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, Mentors65 said:

Depence on the branch.

Same with 7-11, some let customer without mask in, some not

Depends on the city.  Cities with foreign tourist are going to find a lot of them don't wear or carry masks.
With Covid moving to the status of 'communicable disease under watch' as well as maskless foreign tourists arriving in Thailand, these place are going to need to get over their fear of a pandemic past if they want foreign money.  It really is past time to get back to normal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Depends on the city.  Cities with foreign tourist are going to find a lot of them don't wear or carry masks.
With Covid moving to the status of 'communicable disease under watch' as well as maskless foreign tourists arriving in Thailand, these place are going to need to get over their fear of a pandemic past if they want foreign money.  It really is past time to get back to normal. 

I'm not seeing how it's stopping anybody except the rabid anti maskers. It didn't stop me and I see that tourist arrivals are rising fast in Thailand, both in the press and every time I go out to the entertainment districts. Foreigners are allowed not wear masks. The locals sensibly wear them in supermarkets and malls so I do as well but almost nowhere else. Certain venues will continue to require masks at their discretion. I fail to see that as a significant deterrent to tourism. This anti mask propaganda is just scare mongering.

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

it was found that masks would not offer complete protection to a susceptible person from a viral infection in close (e.g., <6 ft) face-to-face or frontal human interactions.

Your quote from that study was cherry picking and misleading, since among other things, the study found that N95 respirator masks do an excellent job at preventing viral escape from the wearing person who coughs or sneezes, according to their findings -- EP referring to "escape percentage":

Screenshot_1.jpg.15abf35f05c0bc946da636bc18a8df69.jpg

And then what the study's actual conclusions are include the following first summary finding:

"Without a face mask, it is almost certain that many foreign droplets will transfer to the susceptible person. Wearing a mask will offer substantial, but not complete, protection to a susceptible person by decreasing the number of foreign airborne sneeze and cough droplets that would otherwise enter the person without the mask."

And then their second summary conclusion is another endorsement for N95 respirator wear as well as practicing social distancing:

"Consideration must be given to minimize or avoid close face-to-face or frontal human interactions, if possible. If the relevant social distancing guidelines are compromised, the study shows that foreign airborne sneeze and cough droplets could pass through all the masks tested (except for the N-95 mask) even when assuming a 100% snug fit." [emphasis added]

And then their final conclusion point:

"This study, which can be treated as precautionary, provides quantitative support to the guidelines proposed by the medical research community that wearing a mask and avoiding close face-to-face or frontal interactions as much as possible will help in preventing the transmission and spreading of virus particles, such as COVID-19, through sneezes and coughs."

It's also worth noting the findings and conclusions of the above study were based on the scenario of two people standing face to face within 6 feet or less of each other with one sneezing or coughing -- not just general social circulating.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I guess all of you anti-maskers never wear a condom with a prostitute. I mean, it's not mandated. Why don't you demand your rights to get infected there?

Nobody dies of HIV either. It's the other diseases that kill you if you have it untreated. So what's the difference?

You're right.  I've never worn a condom with a prostitute.  Do you know why? 

Drumroll . . . . . . .

. . . . . . ???? . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . because I've never slept with a prostitute!  (And it's sure a good thing that it's not mandated to do so!)

Edited by onthedarkside
excessive graphics removed
  • Haha 1

Some members here have been getting, shall we say, overly exuberant in their placing of negative emoticons ("sad" or "confused") on particular other members' posts.

Using emoticons within limits and reason is fine. But excessive use of negative emoticons, particularly concentrated targeting of particular other forum members in volume, is considered "stalking" and is a violation of forum rules -- punishable by a posting suspension. So please, let's not overdo it...

"11. You will not stalk other members by using forum posts, private messages, the use of emojis or any other means."

https://aseannow.com/terms/

On 9/2/2022 at 5:49 PM, tyler28 said:

Not true about the "evil-eye." I've been going maskless on the BTS for a few weeks, and I always see some others (mainly foreigners) doing the same. I haven't gotten any "evil-eye" yet or any indication at all that anyone is even paying attention to me.

Exactly, it’s only the foreigners. I’ve witnessed people moving away from them, I do too. I still wear a mask and my civil rights are still intact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Quite the contrary, many of us believe the obsession with masks is due to scare mongering. Especially with regard to wearing masks outdoors in non crowded areas, on the beach, in your car, and on motorbikes. 

Why do you care if other people choose to wear masks "outdoors in non-crowded areas, on the beach, in your car and on motorbikes" 

They are not asking you to do it so how does that effect you in anyway?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

You're right.  I've never worn a condom with a prostitute.  Do you know why? 

Drumroll . . . . . . .

. . . . . . ???? . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . because I've never slept with a prostitute!  (And it's sure a good thing that it's not mandated to do so!)

Me neither but now I also realise I got it all wrong.

You don't wear mask to protect yourself from getting infected from others, but wear a mask to prevent others to get infected from you.

So I'd guess infected members probably don't really care if they infect anyone else... SARS or HIV.

Edited by tomazbodner

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Quite the contrary, many of us believe the obsession with masks is due to scare mongering. Especially with regard to wearing masks outdoors in non crowded areas, on the beach, in your car, and on motorbikes. 

It’s neither scaremongering nor obsession, it’s a scientific fact. However I agree about non crowded outdoor areas etc. I continue to to wear my mask outdoors because it’s what Thais are still doing and I’m not obsessed with civil liberties.