4 million reasons to believe Thailand has a problem with illegal guns

webfact

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Sad state of affairs if to feel safe one needs a gun in the home......

I would worry I might lose patience none night and go round and shoot my neighbour's damned dogs!

That should he encouraged ????

20 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

The revolvers are what composes most of the black market sales. About the barrels... do you think the Thai that buys an illegal gun would even know he/she can interchange it?

Mostly true but,  if you have spent time in the country you see they are quite handy at breaking down firearms as well as actually building some homemade zip guns

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

In my experience I have not met a non-Thai citizen who obtained a firearms license without PR. I'm sure it's happened in the past, but I don't believe that the eligibility criteria in recent times has been a work permit and no PR.

I could be wrong and I am happy to be corrected if any member has obtained a firearm license without PR.

My reaction : I don't want to own any type of gun and I hope many PR holders / all foreigners living in Thailand have a similar opinion. But of course 'each to his own'.

For me the bottom line: I saw a lot of death, limbs shot off, severe dismemberment etc., during my time as a soldier in the war in Vietnam. I don't want to touch or see any type of weapon for the rest of my life. 

When I returned home my dad instantly announced he wanted to take me (just him and me) on a trip together for a few days in the countryside. 'We can have a great time shooting kangaroos and rabbits etc*.' and he then showed me that he had thoroughly cleaned his 2 shotguns and 2 rifles, ready for the trip.

• *Reality is he shocked me because this type of activity was way off his normal thinking and behaviors. He had never bought a weapon, all 4 mentioned above were given to him by elderly uncles, his grandfather etc., and basically never fired.

Handling weapons and shooting anything was the absolute last thing I wanted to do on return from a war zone and for the rest of my life. In fact I was desperate to spend calm private time with my wife and baby daughter,

I spoke further about this to my more astute mother and asked her to politely ask family members to not organize 'welcome home parties'. I told my mother to tell family members why and she did and shared that people were initially shocked 'but what about our party' but quickly understood  what she had shared.

What other Viet vets (and soldiers returning from any/all wars) desired when they returned home i don't know and of course it's their choice.

Initially my dad was shocked and hurt that I rejected his plan of a 'shooting trip together' but within a few hours he said privately that he had given the whole subject more throught and he understood and wished that he had not planned the trip.' 

Edited by scorecard