Netizens irate after photos of monks working out goes viral - Top monk says "don't show off"

webfact

10 hours ago, JohnHans said:

Don't be silly, of course eating meat is harming animals and monks that eat meat are going against the teachings of Buddha, just because you see monks doing this does not mean they are right in doing so. 

The Buddha never taught about not eating meat.  You need to do some studying. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I have no need to defend myself anywhere !   The fact remains that monks are not obliged to refrain from eating meat or smoking tobacco, If i were you i would leave questions regarding the sincerity of Thai Buddhists to Thai Buddhists. It's obviously not your area of expertise

Tobacco is not "a Aot eating meat or smoking or even working out, the issue here as quoted in the op is "showing off"  a form of vanity. Perhaps you should address that with your self assumed pioty 

Exactly.  No where in the precepts is anything about eating meat or smoking.  There are many temples in Thailand that are vegetarian and many who are not.  Every temple that I have been too, the abbots always warn their monks about smoking.  It's not an order, it's a warning.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnHans said:

If eating them is not harming them then you have a very unusual view and understanding.

I'll say it one more time.  There is NO where in the precepts for a monk to disallow eating meat.  It's a choice for every monk.  There are some temples in Thailand that are vegetarians.  I've been to them. 

• Like 1

I personally have no idea, neither do  I really care,   but I doubt he forbade the eating of meat as many monks do eat it

You are correct.  He did not forbid the eating of meat.  In fact, from the stories I read, The Buddha actually died from eating tainted pork.  So, pretty sure The Buddha ate meat also.  

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eating them is not harming them , they are already dead,  its not hard to understand

"Not hard to understand" they are killed so people can eat them, what's wrong with you, why argue a fact? I am not a vegitarian and I am not arguing in support, but the subject is regarding the teachings of Buddha which is clear, Thai Theravada Buddhism differs from the original Sthaviravāda and Mahāsāṃghika and that fact may explain why there is flexibility in beliefs, traditions and way of life.
Are you trolling me or are you simply board and wanting an argument?

2 minutes ago, JohnHans said:

"Not hard to understand" they are killed so people can eat them, what's wrong with you, why argue a fact? I am not a vegitarian and I am not arguing in support, but the subject is regarding the teachings of Buddha which is clear, Thai Theravada Buddhism differs from the original Sthaviravāda and Mahāsāṃghika and that fact may explain why there is flexibility in beliefs, traditions and way of life.
Are you trolling me or are you simply board and wanting an argument?

neither just putting you right, as have other members, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Exactly.  No where in the precepts is anything about eating meat or smoking.  There are many temples in Thailand that are vegetarian and many who are not.  Every temple that I have been too, the abbots always warn their monks about smoking.  It's not an order, it's a warning.  

I was told years ago that smoking was allowed as an alternative to chewing tobacco due to its adverse health problems considered worse than cigarettes. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

eating them is not harming them , they are already dead,  its not hard to understand

Guess you can liken that train of reasoning to hiring someone to undertake a crime on your behalf to remove any guilt of the crime..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Guess you can liken that train of reasoning to hiring someone to undertake a crime on your behalf to remove any guilt of the crime..... 

pretty much

As long as it was not killed just for them they are allowed to eat it but with "mindfulness and sorrow"

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

I was told years ago that smoking was allowed as an alternative to chewing tobacco due to its adverse health problems considered worse than cigarettes. 

As far as I know its not considered an "intoxicant" and therefore smoking tobacco is allowed,

I'm no expert but I think there may be several stages of "holiness" or "devoutness" or whatever its referred to as.   The higher levels require a stricter observance of, and additional . "precepts"   May be the more devoted followers are restricted , I really don't know

On 9/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, JohnHans said:

Don't be silly, of course eating meat is harming animals and monks that eat meat are going against the teachings of Buddha, just because you see monks doing this does not mean they are right in doing so. 

The thing is 99% or more of the animals we eat is breaded to be slaughtered and become food. Most animals is treated very well until its time for their slaughter. If they were not for food they would not have any life at all. 

Can you point to source that says Buddists and Monks are not allowed to eat meat?

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2022 at 6:51 AM, AsianAtHeart said:

Monks are supposed to eat nothing solid after noon.  It's hard to see how they would become corpulent that way.  It basically limits them to two meals a day, and nothing anywhere near bedtime.

And I thought monks got exercise while out walking every morning, and while cleaning and maintaining the grounds of the wat.  Practical activity is more wholesome than lifting iron.

Porky monks should be very unlikely.  I would imagine they the all to common "monk in name only" that you find in Thailand.  Smoking, playing with their smart phone, etc..  Probably eating as an when they like as well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Porky monks should be very unlikely.  I would imagine they the all to common "monk in name only" that you find in Thailand.  Smoking, playing with their smart phone, etc..  Probably eating as an when they like as well.

Absolutely right. When my BiL was a monk he used to phone my missus and ask her to prepare some food for him during his fasting period to which she obliged.   Nono

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

The thing is 99% or more of the animals we eat is breaded to be slaughtered and become food. Most animals is treated very well until its time for their slaughter. If they were not for food they would not have any life at all. 

Can you point to source that says Buddists and Monks are not allowed to eat meat?

Yes, please.  

• Like 1