BREAKING NEWS ! Liz Truss WINS !

CharlieH

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The only thing Truss is going to turn around are the promises she made the Tory faithful to get the job.

Oh and Boris, he’s planning to come back.

He understands Truss is his best chance.

Agreed. By December, the Tory party membership will be begging Boris to come back. Unlikely he would though as he'll be probably be earning £££ millions elsewhere by then.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, RayC said:

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to be PM at this particular moment in time?

As they say, it may be the only time you have.

There was a US politician who made a stab at the presidential run in 2012.  He made a good showing but didn't get past the primaries, but according to the press was still quite a popular personality whilst campaigning for others in his party.  Well, a few years went by, his inner-buffoon became prevalent and he couldn't even carry his own state.  He put a book out in the last 2 years or so, it sold about 12 copies. Summary: he missed his moment.

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

As they say, it may be the only time you have.

There was a US politician who made a stab at the presidential run in 2012.  He made a good showing but didn't get past the primaries, but according to the press was still quite a popular personality whilst campaigning for others in his party.  Well, a few years went by, his inner-buffoon became prevalent and he couldn't even carry his own state.  He put a book out in the last 2 years or so, it sold about 12 copies. Summary: he missed his moment.

Perhaps but I don't really think that is the case here. Truss is 48; young for a leader. She had probably another 15 years in which to consider running for leader. Moreover, it's not as though there appear to be  that many charismatic potential leaders waiting in the wings of her party, so time was on her side.

No one can predict the future - as many here remind us at regular intervals - but I would suggest that it is conceivable that if events go badly wrong for Truss in 2023,  she might find herself on the political slag heap at 50.

Imo this was a good election to lose for the other contenders.

• Like 2

I reckon a major reshuffle is coming up, Rishi, weeeell, I think he has buried himself, after being ignored at the winning ceremony, tea boy job, perhaps.

Patel, knew she was toast, so an interesting few days ahead.

Truss and Rayner at the dispatch box will be a must-see, I wonder if bad language beeps will be installed for the recordings.......  ????

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, baboon said:

Dorries is out. Maybe even she has the nous to recognise she is unemployable by anyone other than Johnson.

Yes, reshuffles are quite normal, especially with new leaders, even your crew does it, except for the deputy leader, that is, probably a sore point over there....????

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, baboon said:

Dorries is out. Maybe even she has the nous to recognise she is unemployable by anyone other than Johnson.

You obviously didn't know, Dorries campaigned for the new PM, Liz Truss....????............????..

16 hours ago, baboon said:

Begging for a corrupt, venal liar to lead them again. Says it all about their values...

I thought this forum was about the UK Head of Government, not the previous head of the USA!

????

PS;  Maybe both!

Edited by DezLez
PS added

On 9/5/2022 at 7:37 PM, Denim said:

Many Brits will be disappointed.

I really wanted a non binary handicapped person of color with ethnic minority vegan parents as PM

Gutted.

I wanted the Nigerian woman, the only one who seemed to have any guts. Still, have to give Truss a chance before knocking her, not even started and people are.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What?  No 'lefty banter' intended.  Better people don't start left or right debates when none are needed. 

But these threads are full of Tory put downs and Tory MP attacks, where have you been................????