Horrible extension renewal cycle, can it be changed?

So I'm on the one year extension by virtue of being married to a Thai wife from a non-O Visa.  The problem is, this cycle started years ago, the leave Thailand date is Nov 28th, I file the renewal package about a month ahead but immigration always makes me come back on Dec 28th for the actual stamp which is always interfering with Dec plans with kids school winter vacation.  Is there anyway to get off this current renewal cycle to a month earlier?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Assuming your current marriage extension ends on November 28, can't you file for your extension on October 28?  Most immigration offices allow you to file 30 days in advance of due date, some even up to 45 days early.  Then wouldn't you go under consideration and your report back date be around November 28?  If you apply as early as possible don't you get your final approval before December?

While it's true that you can't alter your extension end date without starting over, can't you move the date of your application forward by 30-45 days and therefore effectively determine when you need to return to immigration to get your final approval (roughly 30 days later when you return to immigration for final approval)?

Does not make a difference how early you apply, they always want you to come in for the extension stamp 30 days after the expiration date.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not possible to have the date that your extension ends unless you start all over again by getting a new non-o visa and extending the entry from it.

I was afraid of that.  I do return to the US every year about mid Jan for 4 months to work so is it possible to step across the border towards the end of Nov without a re-entry permit and obtain a tourist Visa, come back in for the remainder of my time and then start the process of a multiple entry Non-O based on marriage once I come back from work and time the extension application better.  Sound about right?

Just now, skatewash said:

But then would need to get a Non-O visa in Thailand, that is, basically start over.

Not my experience (and others I know of). You're still in Thailand based on the Non-O entry and should therefore be able to do the 1 year extension after the 2 month extension without having to apply for a new visa. At least that's my personal experience, and I know of other people who have used the 2 month extension as a way to get all the required paperwork in order for the 1-year.

Of course, it might be different at diffent immigration offices.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

But then would need to get a Non-O visa in Thailand, that is, basically start over.

He would not need to start over again if he got a extension to visit his wife since it would still be a extension of his non-o visa entry the he has been extending.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently the office where he does his application is one of many that starts the under consideration period from the end of his current extension. Applying earlier would not change the report back date.

Yup, Chiang Mai office.

• Like 1

Last year my wife was away for a few weeks during my renewal period (late December). I applied for an extension to the existing 12 months, and then when the wife was back when through the 12 month extension. That pushed back my next renewal date to late January.

1 minute ago, DrPhibes said:

I was afraid of that.  I do return to the US every year about mid Jan for 4 months to work so is it possible to step across the border towards the end of Nov without a re-entry permit and obtain a tourist Visa, come back in for the remainder of my time and then start the process of a multiple entry Non-O based on marriage once I come back from work and time the extension application better.  Sound about right?

I forgot to mention getting a 60 day extension to visit you wife that another member posted about. 

You could get the 60 day extension if you have not applied for one since your last entry with a new visa.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I forgot to mention getting a 60 day extension to visit you wife that another member posted about. 

You could get the 60 day extension if you have not applied for one since your last entry with a new visa.

Perfect, Thanks!

You can always request that your appointment be scheduled a little sooner if they have received the results back from the head office (in my case it's all sent to Chiangmai and returned to my local province).  The kind folk at the office have been able to let me come in on a Thursday or a Friday instead of waiting until the following Monday on more than one occasion.  That may not change the schedule enough to make this worthwhile in your case--or maybe it would.  For us, the immigration folk called to confirm--or we did, I don't remember--that the results had come in, letting us know that we were free to come on in for the stamp, etc.

It's up to them, of course, but I don't think it hurts to ask--unless you think they're already bothered about your case and in no mood to make exceptions.

There will come a point when they will only extend up to the end of your passport ? Depending on when that will happen, and how many months you'd lose, that could be an option?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Does not make a difference how early you apply, they always want you to come in for the extension stamp 30 days after the expiration date.

19 hours ago, skatewash said:

While it's true that you can't alter your extension end date without starting over, can't you move the date of your application forward by 30-45 days and therefore effectively determine when you need to return to immigration to get your final approval (roughly 30 days later when you return to immigration for final approval)?

Yes... they give you the 30 days under consideration date on the day you make the application.

When they stamp your visa it's dated 12 months from the day of the application...

so technically he could move the date forward.

I would visit the office and speak to experienced imm officer and tell him or her the problems this date is causing. They can fix it if they want. The guy who sits at 90 day drive through is very friendly and always chatty. He is about 50 ish years old and has been there long enough to get things done. At the very least he may pass you to somebody who can help.

You may have just missed out on an easy way to change the date. My non o marriage renewal was always in August. During covid there were auto extension of stays for all kinds of visas. I ignored it all and just renewed my extension of stay on my normal august date. Last year instead of a normal one month after expiry under consideration stamp i got a 2 month under consideration. I queried it and they said something about covid.  Now my renewal date has moved on one month into September i gained a extra month. Like i said i didnt pay attention to all the covid extensions over the previous years but thinking back i may be able to add 6 months or whatever to my visa and moved the renewal from august to JAN, FEB ?

Yesterday, extended my Non-B visa at Chaeng Wattana which will be expired 26/Sep.

Given considering stamp until 27/Sep then get the actual visa extension stamp.

Extend it as early as possible since I need to travel on early Oct.

Don't want to travel with 30 days considering stamp, if cannot come back in time my visa will be voided.

21 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

I guess different office different practice. I got my stamps same day I applied for extension, one month prior. 

You could push it back with a 60 day family extension as said above (but that would then mean applying in the dec jan holiday period) or you could simply leave the country without a re-entry, lose the current extension totally, restart the app either returning with a single entry applied outside Thailand or going visa exempt -> non imm O -> Extension of stay. 

I did similar a few years back as my extension was at an award time for me, however work travel prevented it being renewed and I am back to an annoying schedule (I actually have to extend on my birthday !! And no matter when I go an apply the return for under consideration end is always my birthday !!).. These annual annoyances are why I hope to get an OX once I am 50, just ignore them for 5 years at a time. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Presumably, you were getting a retirement extension. The rules on this are completely different, not involving an under consideration period.

Yea, you are right, did not know there was a difference there. 

Good to know, and therefor will continue on my retirement visa and not change to married visa. 

• Like 1

3 ways i can see are 

1 passport expiring will change the length of a married extension

2 60 day wife extension and then yearly married extension, that will extend the yearly expiry date by 60days, but you can only get a 60 day wife extension once per entry.

3 change to a retirement extension you will need to satisfy the 'retirement financials, the new extension will start on the day of application not the 'married' extension expiry date, then change back to a married extension at a later date, you could apply at any time to suit the expiry date that you like. either the 'retirement or the 'married' extensions could be applied for prior to their expiry date

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yes... they give you the 30 days under consideration date on the day you make the application.

When they stamp your visa it's dated 12 months from the day of the application...

so technically he could move the date forward.

some offices start the 30 day under consideration period from expiry date of extension, not application date

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve187 said:

3 ways i can see are 

1 passport expiring will change the length of a married extension

2 60 day wife extension and then yearly married extension, that will extend the yearly expiry date by 60days, but you can only get a 60 day wife extension once per entry.

3 change to a retirement extension you will need to satisfy the 'retirement financials, the new extension will start on the day of application not the 'married' extension expiry date, then change back to a married extension at a later date, you could apply at any time to suit the expiry date that you like. either the 'retirement or the 'married' extensions could be applied for prior to their expiry date

some offices start the 30 day under consideration period from expiry date of extension, not application date

Alas mine doesn't. [nakhon pathom IO]
30 day under consideration date is the day you apply.

And the visa stamp starts 30 days after the consideration stamp.
Thus I lose time.

Also goes for my 90 report, if I send it online 15 days early and it's done immediately I lose 15 days.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Alas mine doesn't. [nakhon pathom IO]
30 day under consideration date is the day you apply.

And the visa stamp starts 30 days after the consideration stamp.
Thus I lose time.

Also goes for my 90 report, if I send it online 15 days early and it's done immediately I lose 15 days.

why not  apply for it with less than 30 days left to expiry

Edited by steve187
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

why not  apply for it with less than 30 days left to expiry

I applied for my visa 10 days early.. in case of any hiccups.. which was a good thing as they requested new/extra information twice which meant two more visits.

What I said was the 30 day under consideration date starts from the day you make the application.

And in my case the visa start date was stamped from the start of the under consideration date [not the visa expiry date].