Untouched rural destinations more popular with tourists in Thailand: Airbnb

webfact

image.jpeg

By Kanchan Nath
TD Editor

Airbnb claims that some of the ‘lesser-known’ destinations that travellers are exploring include Koh Lanta, Trat, Pai and Cha-Am. Though many would argue those areas are already very well-known tourist destinations, they just receive less visitors than the major hubs of places like Samui, Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai – all of which have their own international airport.

Airbnb shares that more than 70% of Thais who participated in a poll plan to travel more frequently to rural destinations that are not currently popular with tourists, with over two thirds saying it is important that they are not contributing to issues such as ‘over tourism’.

“More than two years since the start of the pandemic, we continue to see fundamental shifts in travel that are creating new opportunities for lesser known, off-the-beaten-track communities. It’s incredibly exciting to see travellers so enthusiastic about exploring new destinations, as well as the positive economic impact cascading to locals,” said Mich Goh, Airbnb’s head of public policy for Southeast Asia, India, Hong Kong and Taiwan. “This ongoing dispersal of travel is empowering locals to diversify their income through hosting and build financial resilience in the face of rising costs of living. We are committed to continuing to work together with governments and stakeholders to keep inspiring travellers to step off the beaten path and help ensure more communities can share in the benefits of tourism.”

Full story: https://www.traveldailymedia.com/untouched-rural-destinations-more-popular-with-tourists-in-thailand-airbnb/

TD.jpg
-- © Copyright Travel Daily 2022-09-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't it said that Pattaya is a microcosm of the true Thailand, once you scratch away the veneer of wais and smiles and see the true corruption, exploitation and vice?

That's as silly a saying NYC or Las Vegas is the same as all the USA

Patts is the same as Patong & lower Suk rd area maybe, as a mango/mango comparison.  Even that's a stretch.

• Like 2

Thais, as myself, avoid farang infested areas ... is that really a big surprise.  Patts, Cha-Am & Hua Hin get locals out of convenience to Krung Thep and weekending it.  And only because they want the surf or imagined, fresher seafood.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 2009 said:

The real reason to avoid tourist areas is not because of the foreigners who dared to visit this place, but the scummy, scammy Thais that are waiting there to ruin your day.

The tourists are mostly fine.

It's the tuk tuk & taxi drivers, the people following you around trying to sell you <deleted>, the shoddy unauthentic overpriced Thai food, the expensive <deleted> local beer, and the rude waitresses.

Honestly, and perhaps a little ironically, the hookers are the only decent thing in tourist areas.

Both

Who wants to share a temple or beach with 500 tourists

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, webfact said:

This ongoing dispersal of travel is empowering locals to diversify their income through hosting and build financial resilience in the face of rising costs of living.

I don't see how airbnb can have a credible view on domestic tourism at this point in time.

The government We Travel Together scheme is still on the go and that wouldn't include airbnb.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Just spent 2 days up Sukhathai way from Samchuk.

Got lost on the way back thanks to a google map lady voicing instructions.

Best trip for a long time. Stopped 2 times for directions.

Wifey and I met some fabulous locals.

We have just had 2 nights away under the WTT scheme, one night on the north side of Khaoyai and the other at Kabinburi. Hardly a foreign tourist in sight, think I saw one in the national park.

Every YouTube video I do there is the caption, "The only falang to ever see this place!!"

I don't think these Thais have seen white people before.

They are amazed at my face, language, and I hate going to falang places.

I do think it's funny when the falang thinks you are ruining their "non-falang" vacation, while they all go to Chiang Mai and ride the elephants and take pictures of strawberries.

Once you have been in Thailand for a few years, you simply avoid the top-3 falang cities and 99.9999% of the nutjobs will never cross your path.

I met a girl in Pattaya this morning.....I think she has never met a falang before even though she gives soap massages and works in a bar!!!!!!

these articles crack me. up!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Cha-am has been destroyed by tourism... beach road is an absolute nightmare.

Tourism, by it's very nature, is terribly destructive - across the board. 

The complex paradox that many aren't willing to comprehend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't it said that Pattaya is a microcosm of the true Thailand, once you scratch away the veneer of wais and smiles and see the true corruption, exploitation and vice?

I said the culture as in the rich history and tradition and buildings not the attitude. Corruption and  vice is nowhere near as prevalent in the out of the way villages and less touristy areas. There are rogues in every society but the tourist traps of Thailand attract them and make corruption a way of life and they are boring samey lookalike cities with the same lookalike hotels, resorts and beaches. If you go to Pattaya you could be in any tourist 'resort' in the far east, the middle east or the pacific geared to provide for western tastes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RobU said:

I said the culture as in the rich history and tradition and buildings not the attitude. Corruption and  vice is nowhere near as prevalent in the out of the way villages and less touristy areas. There are rogues in every society but the tourist traps of Thailand attract them and make corruption a way of life and they are boring samey lookalike cities with the same lookalike hotels, resorts and beaches. If you go to Pattaya you could be in any tourist 'resort' in the far east, the middle east or the pacific geared to provide for western tastes.

Pattaya is a big dump imo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Yes.

But real tourists don't want to see the real Thailand.

They want to see a tourist attraction.  

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Thais, as myself, avoid farang infested areas ... is that really a big surprise.  Patts, Cha-Am & Hua Hin get locals out of convenience to Krung Thep and weekending it.  And only because they want the surf or imagined, fresher seafood.

Strange, Pattaya is packed with both.