Tropical fish farms ordered to turn over their GMO fish to Thai Fisheries Department

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Fisheries Department has ordered all commercial tropical fish breeders to turn over their genetically-modified (GMO) fish, such as GloFish, to the department for destruction by November 30th, to prevent them from being released into natural water sources, which could threaten local species.

You'd think the natural fish world has enough colours already to satisfy people.. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

As an aquarium fish hobbyist, I never agreed with this genetic engineering of fish.   However, they do not post any threat to local fish populations as they will be a totally different species that cannot breed with other species, and they will not stand any chance of even living in the wild as their artificial day glow and neon colours will make then stand out like a sore thumb to predators..

In am, however, happy that they trying to stop the production of them.  It's unethical to be breeding such fish....they market them more like disposable toys

than living animals.  

I was thinking they wouldn't live long in the wild. A bit like if your budgie escapes from the house it will last 2 or 3 days only.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I was thinking they wouldn't live long in the wild. A bit like if your budgie escapes from the house it will last 2 or 3 days only.

Funny you should mention budgies. I have an aviary in my garden with budgies, and sometimes stray ones randomly appear, attracted to the calls of mine.  I can easily catch then and they join the flock.  

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Funny you should mention budgies. I have an aviary in my garden with budgies, and sometimes stray ones randomly appear, attracted to the calls of mine.  I can easily catch then and they join the flock.  

Had one join us for lunch one day in the garden, it just flew in and landed on the table. Unfortunately the SIL and 5 year old daughter had dropped in and before I could get near it the kids screams scared it away.

• Like 1