Airline boss pleads with government to delay the Thailand Tourism Fee (TTF) due later this year

webfact

You know this is about as "legitimate" as the tuk-tuk driver claiming the Grand Palace is closed today.

The MoT and its minister want a slush fund. End of story.

This fee has been claimed to be destined for everything from unpaid medical expenses to new coral reefs. It will be used for whatever the Minister and Permanent Secretary wants

If this were legitimate they'd simply crank the PSC (denoted as "TS" on your ticket breakout) from 700 Baht to 1,000 baht, and get AoT to kick it (300 baht) back to the government.

And they're hoping to avoid having to charge Thais, by breaking this fee out and putting it on the GDS's (and airlines) to collect and remit the "brown envelopes".

Edited by bamnutsak

17 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

This fee has been claimed to be destined for everything from unpaid medical expenses to new coral reefs.

With honest people in charge of the fund I would support this 100%.  It would generate significant funds for worthwhile projects and help those who have suffered an accident. 
But.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, NE1 said:

The next step will be trying to charge as people leave. 

I think it was 50 baht the last time they did this.

Exit Tax started at 500 Bht purchased from machine prior immigration now 700 Bht included in ticket with other taxes. Samui Airport charges addition 300 Bht Government Airports 100 Bht payable by everyone including Thais.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

This fee matters not a jot, what is important is the Thai authorities remember excatly what it was for and stop bitching about unpaid emergency hospital rip offs, it is a huge ammount of money when measured against its supposed purpose, most tourists that get injured here - it is generally not their fault - Thailand is a dangerous place and with poor enforcement of standards  including safety - many foreigners become victims caught up in those dangers - whether it is in transport/roads or building safety .........................not their fault

If it is used as an insurance for medical bills then I'm okay with it. Why should Thailand take the cost? 

I’ve seen proposals for proof of travel insurance required for entry discussed in the past. If the 300 baht is an alternative to that, it’s wonderful. I’d much rather pay a totally negligible 300 baht than go through the hassle of proving that my credit card already gives me travel insurance with unlimited medical expenses.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, micmichd said:

If it is used as an insurance for medical bills then I'm okay with it. Why should Thailand take the cost? 

I think it should be stressed that it would only cover UNPAID medical bills that delinquent travellers without sufficient means or travel insurance were unable to pay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I think it should be stressed that it would only cover UNPAID medical bills that delinquent travellers without sufficient means or travel insurance were unable to pay.

I think you are correct, there seems to be a belief including by posters on this site that the proposed 300 baht fee is to provide free medical/ hospital treatment for visitors, that’s not my reading of the proposal.

• Like 1