Expert warns that the worst rain for Bangkok is yet to come

webfact

image.jpeg

A special lecturer at the Graduate School of Environmental Development Administration at the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), Dr. Sunt Srianthumrong, warned today (Monday) that the worst of the rain for Bangkok this year is yet to come. The capital and its suburbs were lashed by heavy downpours, measured at over 120mm in 24 hours, for six days between August 1st and September 10th.

Displaying graphs of rainfall exceeding 120mm in 24 hours from 2017 to 2022, he said that there was only one day in2020 when rainfall exceeded 120mm, two days in 2021 and, so far, six days this year.

Average seven-day rainfall between August 1st and September 10th this year was 99.9mm, which was the highest in Bangkok and its suburbs in six years. The most worrisome aspect of this trend is that the worst rain of this year may not have arrived yet, said Dr. Sunt, as he warned that people in Bangkok will face extreme weather more often in the future as global warming gets worse.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/expert-warns-that-the-worst-rain-for-bangkok-is-yet-to-come/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

Nothing to do with global warming (rebranded climate change). They are continuing cloud seeding and they have admitted it recently when they sold the technology to Indonesia. They need to stop.

Download an app called rain radar and you can see daily the countries that are and those that aren't. China Vietnam and Thailand hit mostly. Myanmar and Laos almost no rain for a month except where they border Thailand. Enough is enough 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Raining almost everyday in the north and that is going down to Bangkok, it is going to be a very bad year for flooding.

Been to 6 cities. Not much rain. Been great weather.

Given Aug/Sept are the 2 wettest months I expected worse.

People should forget the news. Not worth watching.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Where do they find these "experts"? 

2022 has had 6 very heavy rain days so far, therefore it will be much wetter than usual. Such genius on display. 

What six days? 

As someone else said, it's been raining in the North and NE since late July. Now,, where do you think that waters going? 

Edited by Yme

Considering Thailand has never shifted globally in the last millennia and sits squarely in a sub tropical monsoonal area you'd think successive governments would have sorted the plumbing out by now..

I guess they've prioritised other things.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

"Let it snow rain, let it rain, let it rain!"

Looking on the bright side of the dark clouds in the forecast, at least some of the accumulated filth may get washed out to sea, leaving behind a cleaner environment.  And it's always nice to have fresher air to breathe.

I don't think the sea needs any more garbage in it

7 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Nothing to do with global warming (rebranded climate change). They are continuing cloud seeding and they have admitted it recently when they sold the technology to Indonesia. They need to stop.

Download an app called rain radar and you can see daily the countries that are and those that aren't. China Vietnam and Thailand hit mostly. Myanmar and Laos almost no rain for a month except where they border Thailand. Enough is enough 

Polar bears sliding off melting glaciers in the Antarctic is caused by cloud seeding?

Raining in Bangkok , plus what's coming from the North in

the Ping River then Chao Phraya  there's definitely going

to be flooding  

This year I have only watered the garden once ,with pump

in the river , most welcome as not an easy job , it seems

to have been nearly constant rain this year, as rains started

early , but the river at the rear of the house has not risen

that high ,in years past been much higher.

regards worgeordie

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Been to 6 cities. Not much rain. Been great weather.

Given Aug/Sept are the 2 wettest months I expected worse.

People should forget the news. Not worth watching.

Forget the news then, but don't forget that I am seeing the worst flooding in my soi that I've seen for 8 years, and my wife is now taking an extra hour to get home.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

"Let it snow rain, let it rain, let it rain!"

Looking on the bright side of the dark clouds in the forecast, at least some of the accumulated filth may get washed out to sea, leaving behind a cleaner environment.  And it's always nice to have fresher air to breathe.

Hm,...So polluted seas are a blessing for you ????

24 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Forget the news then, but don't forget that I am seeing the worst flooding in my soi that I've seen for 8 years, and my wife is now taking an extra hour to get home.

Typical Thailand. Every 5 to 14 years the flooding is above average.

La Niña is characterized by powerful monsoons that could flood low-lying areas; Thailand was slammed by heavy flooding in 2011, for example. The cycle between both, which is about two to seven years, is known as the El Niño Southern Oscillation, or ENSO.17 Aug 2016

Edited by Sparktrader

16 hours ago, aseanfan said:

Perhaps a useful mega-project (no sarcasm intended) would be to build a mega canal to take the pressure off of the rivers and to divert the water around the urban centres and out to sea?  

Could be quite usefull for shipping as well. An interesting thought and could be quite useful if not for the Brown Envelope problem.

• Like 1