A guide to Thailand’s new rules of the road

webfact

I still don't understand about 'jumping a red light'.

If the lights ahead are red, am I entitled to turn left if there is nothing ahead or to my right to stop me?

So many Thais do it in Chiang Mai and Lamphun and I do it if it is safe. It helps me and it helps traffic flow.

As far as I know, there is only one set of lights in Chiang Mai that has a warning that cars MUST all stop at the red light. That is at Panthip Plaza. The sign used to be in English and Thai but the English was 'removed' and a new sign put up in Thai only!

22 minutes ago, siftasam said:

If the lights ahead are red, am I entitled to turn left if there is nothing ahead or to my right to stop me?

The answer is yes unless otherwise indicated with a sign.

Just found the law. 

5. Left turn on red. It is permitted to turn left on the red light at certain intersections. These intersections are marked with the sign “Turn left with safety” on a blue background which means that you should yield to traffic on your right first and then turn left.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

11 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

It appears the BIB will be getting a much larger share ofTea money for on the spot fines  ????

Why pay if they don't give you a receipt? Most traffic fines are about 500 Baht. Just about the figure you will pay the copper in tea money. Pay the extra and get a receipt.

21 hours ago, ebean001 said:

i actually honor Thailand for their driving behavior. there has never been a police stop of an individual car that i have seen in 15 years i have lived here. in USA there has been mulitple murders at traffic stops. huge fines. The drivers here are well discipline compared to other countries. i guess i am missing something in my 15 years here.  

I can see why the laughing emoji has been removed with comments like tihs.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:13 PM, plus7 said:

Hi,

Why you think it will not take effect. I'm sure it will.

In the fight of money vs leniency, money may win.

However, when I see a young man riding a bike and holding 3-year old sleeping kid in this hand...I don't know... how would it help ?

Of course he would prefer to ride a small car, but he can't afford, probably.

So, that's OK then, is it? that's it!

He can't afford a car, so it's alright - steering his M/B with one hand, holding a sleeping child with the other, yet unable to use horn or indicating lights.

Let's throw in the absence of a helmet as well, shall we? He can't afford it.

Why not go further, don't let's worry about a license - he can't afford it, can he? Or the time to go and get one - let alone be qualified... 

The M/B is probably unroadworthy - but hey - he can't afford the maintenance, or the brake check, or the tyres, or the lights for that matter.

So, Insurance isn't really on the cards either, is it?

But check this out as well.  He can afford the M/B, (possibly an expensive, high-powered one, which he uses on the wrong side of the road, at high speed and weaving crazily in and out of the heavy traffic).

His helmet and clothing will be of the latest fashion. In his back pocket, will be the latest model phone, (If not in his hand and in use while steering one-handedly).

At home, a big, smart TV. Gaming console, - plenty of empty Lao Khao and Leo bottles and probably, cigarette packets too.

Hidden somewhere, there is likely to be his 'stash', a knife, or a machete or even a gun, 'cos he's 'The man!' (Please feel free to add that which I might have missed).

So, yes, you're right. I quite agree with you. He deserves leniency. The poor guy just cannot afford the so important articles that might, just might, save his, and his little child's life. Why complicate the poor chap's life, eh?

• Thanks 2

On 9/13/2022 at 8:20 AM, NorthernRyland said:

Instead of passing even more useless laws how about importing police from countries that actually care about road safety? clearly the Thai's are not up for the job.

Yes - there is in reality no police road safety division. They don't know how to measure, calibrate and analyse a crash scene. They don't know how to operate technology or implement the law.

But there is also no court system to deal with offenders.

This has for the first time just beed acknowledged and this is partly why the 30 month's grace period has been operated. However this is nowhere near long enough and there are going to be some big scandals regarding the implementation of these laws. 

People will be attempting to pay the "old" tea-money, the officers will try to implement "fines" on the new scale, people will then step up their efforts to avoid these heavier fines. Te wealthy are likely to be more successful than the low income road users - as ever this will reflect of motorcyclists who in reality are already the most vulnerable on the countries roads

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, EricTh said:

Many Thai people have never been to western countries. Most western countries do not have the road congestion level as in South-East Asia and China so of course, they can afford to stop at zebra crossing.

In reality, most people in South-East Asia do not stop at zebra crossing unless it is at a red-light junction.

It's so expensive to own a car and motorbike in Singapore because of the COE that only less than 5% of the population drives a car, they all use public transport. So you cannot compare the situation of one country with another when road conditions are different.

Imagining being stuck in traffic for an hour and then you have to stop at all zebra crossings.

Thai people do not have the patience, go to other countries in SEA and see for yourselves.

FROM ABOVE:  "Imagining being stuck in traffic for an hour and then you have to stop at all zebra crossings." 

Sure, possible, however pedestrians must still have rights, and further there can't be any situation where because of bad traffic suddenly the laws re stopping at zebra crossings change/cease.

That's not workable and wouldn't give solid / guaranteed protection. And who decides when the laws are changed/dropped and for how long etc?  

20 hours ago, Bundooman said:

So, that's OK then, is it? that's it!

He can't afford a car, so it's alright - steering his M/B with one hand, holding a sleeping child with the other, yet unable to use horn or indicating lights.

Let's throw in the absence of a helmet as well, shall we? He can't afford it.

Why not go further, don't let's worry about a license - he can't afford it, can he? Or the time to go and get one - let alone be qualified... 

The M/B is probably unroadworthy - but hey - he can't afford the maintenance, or the brake check, or the tyres, or the lights for that matter.

So, Insurance isn't really on the cards either, is it?

But check this out as well.  He can afford the M/B, (possibly an expensive, high-powered one, which he uses on the wrong side of the road, at high speed and weaving crazily in and out of the heavy traffic).

His helmet and clothing will be of the latest fashion. In his back pocket, will be the latest model phone, (If not in his hand and in use while steering one-handedly).

At home, a big, smart TV. Gaming console, - plenty of empty Lao Khao and Leo bottles and probably, cigarette packets too.

Hidden somewhere, there is likely to be his 'stash', a knife, or a machete or even a gun, 'cos he's 'The man!' (Please feel free to add that which I might have missed).

So, yes, you're right. I quite agree with you. He deserves leniency. The poor guy just cannot afford the so important articles that might, just might, save his, and his little child's life. Why complicate the poor chap's life, eh?

Any country that doesn't have a comrehensive and holistic road safety system will see this sort of behaviour - 

15 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Many folks who haven't been living under a rock.

It is still in dictionaries.... 

Living under a rock might be preferable to living under a rod where one is told what one can do, what one can say, and what words you can use!

7 hours ago, morrobay said:

Any country that has a s***load of reckless lowlife local males will see this sort of behavior 

Classic un-informed response. This attitude shows you don't understand the basic principles of road safety but rather than learn about it you resort to assumptions and  stereotypes