A guide to Thailand’s new rules of the road

webfact

Hi,

Why you think it will not take effect. I'm sure it will.

In the fight of money vs leniency, money may win.

However, when I see a young man riding a bike and holding 3-year old sleeping kid in this hand...I don't know... how would it help ?

Of course he would prefer to ride a small car, but he can't afford, probably.

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Uncle responded (perfect English) 'Not Tue, Thai law is the same, the law says all venicles must stop when pedestrians are on the zebra crossing or it's obvious they are waiting to start to cross, and vehicles cannot move until the pedestrian(s) have reached the other side of the road'.  

Many Thai people have never been to western countries. Most western countries do not have the road congestion level as in South-East Asia and China so of course, they can afford to stop at zebra crossing.

In reality, most people in South-East Asia do not stop at zebra crossing unless it is at a red-light junction.

It's so expensive to own a car and motorbike in Singapore because of the COE that only less than 5% of the population drives a car, they all use public transport. So you cannot compare the situation of one country with another when road conditions are different.

Imagining being stuck in traffic for an hour and then you have to stop at all zebra crossings.

Thai people do not have the patience, go to other countries in SEA and see for yourselves.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thai people are notorious for breaking all these traffic rules. Let's hope that there will be enough enforcement this time or else it's just on paper and nothing improves.

Who does the laws benefit? With all the prices going up on everything every day and Thais not getting any cost of living increases in pay. It will only make things worse and corruption more.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Many Thai people have never been to western countries. Most western countries do not have the road congestion level as in South-East Asia and China so of course, they can afford to stop at zebra crossing.

In reality, most people in South-East Asia do not stop at zebra crossing unless it is at a red-light junction.

It's so expensive to own a car and motorbike in Singapore because of the COE that only less than 5% of the population drives a car, they all use public transport. So you cannot compare the situation of one country with another when road conditions are different.

Imagining being stuck in traffic for an hour and then you have to stop at all zebra crossings.

Thai people do not have the patience, go to other countries in SEA and see for yourselves.

While in Singapore as a pedestrian,  traffic always stopped for me to cross streets. Quite a surprise!

In Thailand I stop at crosswalks but you really have to be careful not to get hit from behind! I also try to stop a little before the line to let pedestrians see around my vehicle as vehicles in other lanes often don't stop making it very dangerous for people trying to cross a busy street.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plus7 said:

Hi,

Why you think it will not take effect. I'm sure it will.

Because it never has in the past when exactly the same announcements have been made. 

1 hour ago, plus7 said:

In the fight of money vs leniency, money may win.

Money does win - the BiB get their 200 baht when they catch people...  

Do the BiB want to lose out on a revenue stream ???.... Don’t enforce the law properly and people will continue breaking the law - its a balancing act !

1 hour ago, plus7 said:

However, when I see a young man riding a bike and holding 3-year old sleeping kid in this hand...I don't know... how would it help ?

Of course he would prefer to ride a small car, but he can't afford, probably.

Thats also part of the issue... the ‘affordability’ aspect....   

That said, I’m sure many do have other options (i.e. leave the 1 & 3 year old at home with the wife, or take a Songthaew etc)... but prefer the convenience of the whole family on a bike. 

I saw a guy last week on our sub-soi....  trying to hold a shopping bag and a baby, also with 3 or 4 year old stood up on the step through section of the bike...  (no helmets on any of them of course).

15 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

While in Singapore as a pedestrian,  traffic always stopped for me to cross streets. Quite a surprise!

In Thailand I stop at crosswalks but you really have to be careful not to get hit from behind! I also try to stop a little before the line to let pedestrians see around my vehicle as vehicles in other lanes often don't stop making it very dangerous for people trying to cross a busy street.

Stopping for a pedestrian here is a strange experience. 

Its something I always *try to do....   But when I stop, the wait, they hesitate, I wave my hand and they still don’t want to cross....  I’m there saying to myself... “Go...  Go on then... what are you waiting for?... Cross already... Jaysus I’m not tricking you...”.... finally when I’ve just about had enough I give up and go to drive on just as they step out... then I look like the pillock !!!! 

*on my motorcycle on a faster section of road with traffic behind me I’m more conscious of being rear ended...  (I had being the first at lights or a crossing in this scenario - in my car I’m less conscious unless there are lorries behind)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, onekoolguy said:

In Singapore, if 95% (instead of 5%) of the people drove private cars instead of public transport, the situation would be the same as in Thailand.

You can afford to stop because you are not in a rush. Thai people are in a rush to make ends meet.

The roads don't get any wider in Thailand while the volume of the cars increases.

Edited by EricTh