Buying a camera

EricTh

Good Question. Bought a Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9, 'four thirds' camera at Big Camera Central Airport Mall three years back. You get a better deal of course if buying in other countries than Thailand. However not worth making a trip out of Thailand specifically to buy a camera. Still happy with my purchase & happy with Big Camera.

No idea how the shop ranks for after market service as never had a problem with the camera. I have bought extra lenses, when outside of the country, because of cost, BTW.   

• Like 1

the photo stuff is extremely expensive in Thailand.

I've purchased a few things in World Camera and Big Camera, never had any problems so could not tell about the after sales service, however I mostly use Ebay now because purchasing brand new equipment from Japan (that was made in Thailand LOL!) with fast shipping by DHL or UPS and paying import taxes is still going to be about 2x times cheaper than buying it offline.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 2

Depending what you're buying, TH price is fine for Sony.  Not sure about Cannon.  Wouldn't bother with other brands, as their camera divisions are in financial distress.

I'm a Sony fan myself.  Don't worry about after sales service, as most warranties are only 1 year, and you won't have any problems with either brand within that time.  I would only have Sony service mine, so camera shops here would never touch it.

They have the 'grey' market here, sometimes a bit cheaper, with 'their' warranty, along with offering manufacturer's warranty.

Good seller is EC-Mall, as I bought my first one there, 2018.  Works fine.  Hindsight, and pricing now, I'd buy from Sony store.

Upgrade to couple more camera bodies, from 1 grey, 1 Sony store.  Also bought inexpensive lens online (EC again), and my expensive lenses, 1 from authorized reseller, and 1 /most expensive lens from Sony store.

All warranties have expired and they all work great.  Sony has insurance options if wanting, I passed on it.  Some made here, some in China, some Japan.  Pricing was fine here, and almost the USA pricing, so no need to shop elsewhere.  If in China, Japan or USA, then yes, why not if good price.  Online, don't bother, except from Sony store.

Buy from Sony, and get member points, which gave me a few spare batteries, which aren't cheap.  Highly recommend mirrorless, less moving part, less to malfunction, and you'll never wear it out.  DSLRs wear out/moving parts.

Is this your first camera, and what to be used for.  Plenty of options in the Sony line up.  If you just want something to point & shoot, upgrade your phone to Google Pixel, or Iphone.  If for vlogging, Sony has a couple nice ones.   If for wildlife, my thing, Sony has one of the best kits.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56481061@N02/

I have 3 camera bodies, and 3 main lenses.  Have 3 bodies, as I hate changing lenses, to avoid dust on either while doing.  3 bodies/3 lenses avoids that problem.   Have a few other lenses also.

Side note, lunar photos are real, we did land on the moon.

1614691237599.jpg

lunar proof.png

• Like 2

Along with that camera, you might want LightRoom & Denoize AI.  These 2 can save an otherwise useless photo, especially if settings are off or simply low light, under or over exposed.

There's even other programs where you can completely alter the sky, though I only edit to clean things up, the camera may miss, as the info is there, just not presented as it should.  Or you can choose to highlight different aspects of a photo.

Or as above, if using Photoshop, complete change all parts of/create a new photo.  I simply used MS Paint for that quick edit.

Edited by KhunLA

Several years back I bought a new Nikon (brand loyalty - I'd had one stolen, dropped one, this one simply 'stopped for no obvious reason) when I was in KL, complete with a 'global warranty'.

Encountered problems while still under warranty when back home in Thailand, and was informed 'yes' under warranty but 'no' for any service or repair here in Thailand as had to be returned to country of purchase, Malaysia. 

Guess that may have been mentioned in the very very small fine print, but rather defeats the purpose of a global warranty.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Several years back I bought a new Nikon (brand loyalty - I'd had one stolen, dropped one, this one simply 'stopped for no obvious reason) when I was in KL, complete with a 'global warranty'.

Encountered problems while still under warranty when back home in Thailand, and was informed 'yes' under warranty but 'no' for any service or repair here in Thailand as had to be returned to country of purchase, Malaysia. 

Guess that may have been mentioned in the very very small fine print, but rather defeats the purpose of a global warranty.

What is promised is usually different from what actually happens. 

That's why personal feedback from the public is very important.

Thai companies are notorious for giving bad after-sales service.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Along with that camera, you might want LightRoom & Denoize AI.  These 2 can save an otherwise useless photo, especially if settings are off or simply low light, under or over exposed.

There's even other programs where you can completely alter the sky, though I only edit to clean things up, the camera may miss, as the info is there, just not presented as it should.  Or you can choose to highlight different aspects of a photo.

Or as above, if using Photoshop, complete change all parts of/create a new photo.  I simply used MS Paint for that quick edit.

Or you could save money, use GIMP and RawTherapee for RAW files. Both are free. Photoshop has a few extra facilities but they are of the nature only someone heavily into media design would use and even then not very often,

On 9/15/2022 at 7:34 AM, cnx1204 said:

Khun LA has great points.  You might also contact the camera club (CMPG), get on the forum, and ask the question. 

The Chiang Mai Photographic Group is still in Post Covid mode and while our website is still up, activities in the forum are virtually non-existent at the moment.  You will find a cmpg page on Facebook but it doesn't have much to do with the group of talented photographers who attended face-to-face meetings every couple of weeks since 2007 and mounted a dozen well received exhibitions here in town.
I'm currently wondering if there is enough support to reboot the CMPG and would be pleased to hear from both experienced photographers and those looking to develop their skills.  Please PM me here.

1449922325_P1200515LowRes.thumb.jpg.49aeda166ff5814b8e856af3032be157.jpg

Airport Plaza 2018

871591579_CMPGExhibition20163.jpg.83071e15cbf001f30e977c022f1dcf69.jpg

Maya 2016

510941852_CMPGExhibition201612.jpg.b25dcd283b208090c525b74fb862f6a6.jpg

Opening Day,  Maya 2016

Edited by Greenside

After that camera purchase, good programs/software will help make you look good.  As stated earlier, I use LightRoom classic, one of 1st releases, since not a subscriber.  Along with DeNoise AI, which I purchased, and too inexpensive not to.

An example of a photo I purposely underexposed, SS/2000 F8, which you wouldn't do for a stationary subject.   First use LR, then run thru DN.

EDITING.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

17 hours ago, Greenside said:

The Chiang Mai Photographic Group is still in Post Covid mode and while our website is still up, activities in the forum are virtually non-existent at the moment.  You will find a cmpg page on Facebook but it doesn't have much to do with the group of talented photographers who attended face-to-face meetings every couple of weeks since 2007 and mounted a dozen well received exhibitions here in town.
I'm currently wondering if there is enough support to reboot the CMPG and would be pleased to hear from both experienced photographers and those looking to develop their skills.  Please PM me here.

1449922325_P1200515LowRes.thumb.jpg.49aeda166ff5814b8e856af3032be157.jpg

Airport Plaza 2018

871591579_CMPGExhibition20163.jpg.83071e15cbf001f30e977c022f1dcf69.jpg

Maya 2016

510941852_CMPGExhibition201612.jpg.b25dcd283b208090c525b74fb862f6a6.jpg

Opening Day,  Maya 2016

What's the point of displaying the photos? Do they get cash prizes?

On 9/14/2022 at 10:50 PM, fdsa said:

the photo stuff is extremely expensive in Thailand.

I've purchased a few things in World Camera and Big Camera, never had any problems so could not tell about the after sales service, however I mostly use Ebay now because purchasing brand new equipment from Japan (that was made in Thailand LOL!) with fast shipping by DHL or UPS and paying import taxes is still going to be about 2x times cheaper than buying it offline.

Agree, I have been using Nikon cameras and lenses for 50 odd years. Bought and Sold lots of equipment on Ebay.  I check prices in Big Camera and find it hard to believe the prices, given that the stuff is made here!

6 minutes ago, Al BB said:

Agree, I have been using Nikon cameras and lenses for 50 odd years. Bought and Sold lots of equipment on Ebay.  I check prices in Big Camera and find it hard to believe the prices, given that the stuff is made here!

Must be a Nikon or Big Camera pricing, as my Sony @6400s are 10% cheaper here than USA, and surprising. Along with Sony store is same price as Big Camera here.  Big Camera doesn't give you the Sony warranty.

Why would anyone buy anything from Big Camera ... Best to shop elsewhere.

Just checked, and Sony @6400 is same price @ EC-Mall, when in the past, they were about 10% cheaper than Sony Store.

If looking at Sony, buy from Sony, for better warranty & points for free stuff.

Sony or Cannon, they'll be here 10 yrs down the soi, not sure about the others.

Better research = Better shopping experience

On 9/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, KhunLA said:

Must be a Nikon or Big Camera pricing, as my Sony @6400s are 10% cheaper here than USA, and surprising. Along with Sony store is same price as Big Camera here.  Big Camera doesn't give you the Sony warranty.

Why would anyone buy anything from Big Camera ... Best to shop elsewhere.

Just checked, and Sony @6400 is same price @ EC-Mall, when in the past, they were about 10% cheaper than Sony Store.

If looking at Sony, buy from Sony, for better warranty & points for free stuff.

Sony or Cannon, they'll be here 10 yrs down the soi, not sure about the others.

Better research = Better shopping experience

I have never bought anything from Big Camera or any other Thai Outlet,  nor Online here,  I always research prices on ANYTHING, after all, I was a Buyer for nigh on 50 years. Caveat Emptor. (BTW its CANON)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Al BB said:

I have never bought anything from Big Camera or any other Thai Outlet,  nor Online here,  I always research prices on ANYTHING, after all, I was a Buyer for nigh on 50 years. Caveat Emptor. (BTW its CANON)

I can't even blame that on auto correct ... ????