What are your greatest concerns living in Thailand over the next years?

KIngsofisaan

4 minutes ago, Boyn said:

Thats a long way to go for a couple of days

Not considering if on pension, and keeping current UK address for COLA & NHS use.  Surely pays for itself, plus.   Along with have a few 'real, good' pints with mates.

USA is way too far to even consider, although our COLAs aren't frozen if living overseas.  I think 1 week back in the homeland (family/friends) would be more than enough, unless playing tourist, which is a bit pricey, if not having car waiting for you.

• Like 2

My biggest concern is that my own country, the USA, might reduce or even stop my Social Security (old-age pension) payments. The USA is going through a very divisive political time right now, and unfortunately, anything is possible.

And yes, knowing what I know now, I would sell everything and move to Thailand again today. Or, if not that, move to some remote place in or to an island off  the US state of Alaska.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

What you are saying in effect is you prefer the bunch of crooks in Bangkok to Thaksin.

That's like saying you prefer Stalin over Hitler.

Every Thai I have met in northern Thailand thinks Prayut and the junta are criminals. OTOH, rural Thais think Thaksin is a hero, as he has done more to benefit them.

Northern Thailand was formerly the Lanna kingdom, the divide between them and southern Thailand still exists.

Tell me, when the red shirts and yellow shirts were going at each other, how did it personally affect you? Didn't make a jot or tittle of difference to me.

I live in the middle of Bangkok. I saw demonstrations of the yellow-shirts and I saw road blocks from the red-shirts.

I personally never had any problems with the yellow crowd. When they blocked the Asoks junction I walked through there almost every day. No problems at all. All friendly, no aggression.

With the red-shirts in Bangkok I had a very different experience. I.e. I had to work in a building which was in the zone which they controlled in 2010. I had to ask nicely at the bamboo and tire barricade if they let me pass.

I often saw pickup trucks laden with aggressive red-shirt thugs who tried to tell the people in Bangkok that they are now in control. And the police did nothing.

Later I saw peaceful soldiers on the street. They made me feel safe, no aggressive red mob anymore. 

And I will never forget the fires from 2010. I just had to look out of my window.

And later, after the military removed the red-shirts from the city, I was there on the first day when the public was allowed to go there. What a horrible sight. I was never in a war-zone but that's what it looked like.

That is my personal experience. I am sure others, especially far from Bangkok, had other experiences.

I am sure I will never in my life forget the burning busses, the burning oil-truck, the street blockades, the fires, the destruction and all that aggression.

And I hope this will never happen again in Thailand - not just because I don't like it but for a prosperous Thailand.

When Yingluck came to power many people were unsure what she will do. We had hope that she would try to be a good PM for all Thais and all Thailand. But it didn't take long before it became clear she followed the orders of her criminal brother and she tried her very best to get him back to Thailand as a free man. That was the 2nd coup which I experienced in Thailand - after the first coup to get rid of Thailand.

What would happen if another Shinawatra becomes PM? Would she unite Thailand? Or would she more likely continue with Thaksin's dividing policy? And it's very likely that she would try to bring both criminals in her family back to Thailand. As heroes, and not to put them in jail.

And what will people do if that would happen? Likely something similar to what happened with Yingluck. But maybe worse. That is my concern. 

Is Prayut good? Sure not. I would love to see honest competent people running this country. But obviously that will only happen if Thai voters would vote for honest competent politicians. But somehow this is not what the majority of Thai voters do. The vote for the same old corrupt politicians or the family members of those banned politicians. And then they are somehow surprised when they have an incompetent corrupt government.

Hopefully all this will be resolved peacefully.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It gave me an extra 7 days holiday, paid for by the Thai government.

Sometimes the choice has to be the best of two evils. You need to take off your rose-tinted glasses where Thaksin is concerned.

Look what happened when that nice man Khun Abhisit was put in charge.

I'm not saying Thaksin is my hero, perish the thought. I'm recounting what northern Thais have told me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I live in the middle of Bangkok. I saw demonstrations of the yellow-shirts and I saw road blocks from the red-shirts.

I personally never had any problems with the yellow crowd. When they blocked the Asoks junction I walked through there almost every day. No problems at all. All friendly, no aggression.

With the red-shirts in Bangkok I had a very different experience. I.e. I had to work in a building which was in the zone which they controlled in 2010. I had to ask nicely at the bamboo and tire barricade if they let me pass.

I often saw pickup trucks laden with aggressive red-shirt thugs who tried to tell the people in Bangkok that they are now in control. And the police did nothing.

Later I saw peaceful soldiers on the street. They made me feel safe, no aggressive red mob anymore. 

And I will never forget the fires from 2010. I just had to look out of my window.

And later, after the military removed the red-shirts from the city, I was there on the first day when the public was allowed to go there. What a horrible sight. I was never in a war-zone but that's what it looked like.

That is my personal experience. I am sure others, especially far from Bangkok, had other experiences.

I am sure I will never in my life forget the burning busses, the burning oil-truck, the street blockades, the fires, the destruction and all that aggression.

And I hope this will never happen again in Thailand - not just because I don't like it but for a prosperous Thailand.

When Yingluck came to power many people were unsure what she will do. We had hope that she would try to be a good PM for all Thais and all Thailand. But it didn't take long before it became clear she followed the orders of her criminal brother and she tried her very best to get him back to Thailand as a free man. That was the 2nd coup which I experienced in Thailand - after the first coup to get rid of Thailand.

What would happen if another Shinawatra becomes PM? Would she unite Thailand? Or would she more likely continue with Thaksin's dividing policy? And it's very likely that she would try to bring both criminals in her family back to Thailand. As heroes, and not to put them in jail.

And what will people do if that would happen? Likely something similar to what happened with Yingluck. But maybe worse. That is my concern. 

Is Prayut good? Sure not. I would love to see honest competent people running this country. But obviously that will only happen if Thai voters would vote for honest competent politicians. But somehow this is not what the majority of Thai voters do. The vote for the same old corrupt politicians or the family members of those banned politicians. And then they are somehow surprised when they have an incompetent corrupt government.

Hopefully all this will be resolved peacefully.

Fair enough, you were in the middle of it. Living as I did in Chiang Mai, there was nothing to see.

Thanathorn is a good example of what happens to politicians here when they want to reform systems. The votes he was getting from the young really spooked the junta.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not saying Thaksin is my hero, perish the thought. I'm recounting what northern Thais have told me.

I can certainly understand that, the whole area being a Thaksin stronghold.

It doesn’t matter what I think, I am a Farang - but I think many Thais see Thaksin as a God/saviour and overlook his corruption etc because they felt he did good for them……phone boxes in every village, the 30 Baht health scheme (Abhisit later abolishing the 30 Baht because it cost more to administer than collect), mobile phone inducements, war on drugs.

He was a good salesman. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

77 years young this year ???? ,hopefully trying to squeeze a couple

of more years out, 35 years living here and it seems to have

flew past , 

regards Worgeordie

Life expectancy in Thailand must be much more than say the UK , due mostly to the warmer climate of Thailand , as opposed to the cold damp winters in most western countries . Just got to have your wits about you when driving in the Thai traffic .  So maybe squeeze another 10 plus years . 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I moved to Thailand when I was 30. I didn't regret it for even one day.

Recently, after many years, I was back "home" for a few weeks. It got worse. Good that I moved out of there. So, I am 100% sure I would move away from "home" again.

Would I, in 2022, move again to Thailand? Maybe. Thailand is still fun, but obviously it is not as exotic and cheap as it was 25 years ago.

A couple of years ago I might have moved to Myanmar. Good that I never did that. 

When I moved to Thailand I was motivated to come here after two holidays. But before my move I did a lot of research about the country. And at that time the economy also looked great - before the crash.

I would do any research again about any country which I would fancy. Maybe I would find a better place than Thailand. Maybe. Currently I don't know which other place that would be. But then, there are about two hundred countries on this earth.

Good points. After looking around and traveling a bit last year, I still have not been able to find an alternative. None that appealing. If money was not an issue, that might be different. Thailand is great for many of us on limited incomes, who are not wealthy. I love my life here. I live a life I could only dream about in most other countries. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of the time when George W Bush was president and basically all of us thought it can't get worse... 

Best President (for now) ..................... BIDEN ????

All about the exchange rate ... nothing else matters ... ME ME ME

assholes.jpg

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Losing my virility as I age. It would be such a shame to not be able to take advantage of all the lush dessert on offer here. 

Tell me about it. Finasteride I am on for BPH subtracts about 50% of my libido.

1 hour ago, superal said:

Life expectancy in Thailand must be much more than say the UK , due mostly to the warmer climate of Thailand , as opposed to the cold damp winters in most western countries . Just got to have your wits about you when driving in the Thai traffic .  So maybe squeeze another 10 plus years . 

Yes I am sure I would have been dead long ago if I was still living in UK ,

too much stress ,even more so now the way things are going over there.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Tell me about it. Finasteride I am on for BPH subtracts about 50% of my libido.

Depending on the severity of your condition, you might want to supplement with stinging nettle root and pygeum. They are miraculous for improving prostate health, and increasing urine flow. One day without it, and I see a difference. 

Edited by spidermike007

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not necessarily saying much. But, it is something. 

Actually prefer Trump over the others, but as you say, NSM.  

Like that he wasn't a career politician, and nobody liked him.  Really rocked the boat and exposed the system for the farce that it is.  More, it exposed itself, even to the most ignorant person.  Hard to ignore now.

Biden, probably the worst of the lot, contributing to 40 yrs of gov't failure.  But the best for avoiding any future war with RU or CH, as too invested with them.  

One less concern ... while staying On Topic.

How & why, the exchange is in our favor is a mystery, as USA is so screwed up at the moment.  Hope it doesn't imply the rest of the world is at a worse state.  As stated earlier, somewhere, USA (and Thailand) can feed itself, so again OT ... one less concern.

USA and again, ASEAN (TH) seem to have no problem fueling, energizing themselves, another concern.  no need to worry about. 

With CH up the road, supply lines aren't as disrupted as everywhere else.  Controlling the chip & precious metals a plus for us friendly nations.

All those countries bad mouthing & sanctioning CH & RU ... oh well.  Trump warned you, you didn't listen ????

So no real concerns here, for me & family.  Actually prosperous times ahead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Depending on the severity of your condition, you might want to supplement with stinging nettle root and pygeum. They are miraculous for improving prostate health, and increasing urine flow. One day without it, and I see a difference. 

I'm OK with saw palmetto as the relaxant. Stinging nettle root etc. act in similar fashion.

The objective of the finasteride is to either reduce my prostate in size, or keep it where it is. Having a TURP is something I want to put off as long as I can.

21 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

At age 75 and a cholesterol/heart issue the health/insurance concerns are at the top. Plan is for our family (Thai Wife, Stepdaughter and myself) to visit USA for the month of April 2023. Exit with my O-A visa, no return permit ... re-enter Visa Exempt go through the process of getting an "O" Visa for reason of retirement. I will try to show I have made over a decade of monthly transfers of 65K+. Fall back position would be "O" Visa for marriage as I will not cash in 800K invested funds to park in a Thai bank (I do have separate account with 400K+ as funds for my Wife when I croak).

Please be aware that for Chaeng Wattana and most other immigration offices in Thailand, you can not use the THB 65,000 monthly transfer to have a Non O issued.  Immigration only has 2 options : THB 800,000 in a Thai bank or a letter from your Embassy which most no longer do.

You can use the monthly THB 65,000 for a one year extension but not to have a 3 month Non O

Edited by SmokeandIce
Add info

47 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

the exchange is in our favor is a mystery

Some of highest interest rates in the world and going higher.

World reserve currency (as long as it lasts)

Vast sums of dollar demoninated debt plus many loans coming due.

The unattractiveness of yen, gbp, eur even franc.

Metals remain unattractive to investors.

Markets have been crashing and burning, rush to dollars / especially US markets

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually prefer Trump over the others, but as you say, NSM.  

Like that he wasn't a career politician, and nobody liked him.  Really rocked the boat and exposed the system for the farce that it is.  More, it exposed itself, even to the most ignorant person.  Hard to ignore now.

Biden, probably the worst of the lot, contributing to 40 yrs of gov't failure.  But the best for avoiding any future war with RU or CH, as too invested with them.  

One less concern ... while staying On Topic.

How & why, the exchange is in our favor is a mystery, as USA is so screwed up at the moment.  Hope it doesn't imply the rest of the world is at a worse state.  As stated earlier, somewhere, USA (and Thailand) can feed itself, so again OT ... one less concern.

USA and again, ASEAN (TH) seem to have no problem fueling, energizing themselves, another concern.  no need to worry about. 

With CH up the road, supply lines aren't as disrupted as everywhere else.  Controlling the chip & precious metals a plus for us friendly nations.

All those countries bad mouthing & sanctioning CH & RU ... oh well.  Trump warned you, you didn't listen ????

So no real concerns here, for me & family.  Actually prosperous times ahead.

The Former Guy aka TFG, your hero, currently has six crime "paths" that lead to hundreds of years jail time -each.

IVANKA Barbie has already sang FBI Karaoke, but she's going to be wearing the new black regardless, it just means she might go free before menopause. 

And believe me, it's not about "the left" it's about being so out of touch he thinks he's bigger than the freaking US Government, which suddenly became the "Deep State."?  555 Ok whatever. 

You've swallowed Putins disinformation so hard. 

And TFG owes Vlad his soul. It's all going to be revealed soon, before that though, there are dozens of perps going down, including Stone and Flynn, again!  Bannon is the First. 

Anyway I won't be surprised if your trolling and this reply are deleted, the thread is not about TFG. 

But keep on believing, the scam bud. ????????????

Inflation continues and it will.

The country invaded again by millions of poorly dressed morons.

Extension financial requirements are increased.

I lose access to SSO insurance.

As everyone, our health. Wife gets sick and I have to deal with it (much younger)

US social security pays out less /on top of inflation 

Thailand sees brown and blackouts. Scrapped plans to buy condo already.

Another coup or similar shi++y political situation or stalemate dragging Thailand deeper into economic misery.

I think the world is heading for a whole lot of misery.

My biggest fear is I won't have my life truly sorted before a great depression hits which I've expected since 2008. The latest Biden bills put the us6in league with Japanese debt. The US is doomed.

Finally, I will cut my last cord to US in a few years. There's really never been a way back for 15 years but now with the prices, wokery, CRT, homosexual and reptilian agendas I'm out..

Edited by BonMot