Bang Saen is not a “savage city” and is totally safe for tourists

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

showing 3-4 male college students getting brutally beaten by a large group of full-grown men until they all flopped to the ground

very unusual in Thailand the safest tourist HUB and most tranquil country for all to visit

this story is missing the usual ................. "Bang" normally and commonly associated with violence here, probably left out to maintain the stellar image

• Haha 1

I have a home in Bang Saen and love the place. It is a college town and roars with students having fun on the weekends (petty quiet during the week.) I walk the beach regularly and have never encountered a problem or witnessed a fight. As for Soi Dogs, try walking down a soi in Bangkok without encountering mean dogs, but seldom in Bang Saen even on the beach.Those that find Bang Saen boring or dangerous have a different expectation than myself, but over many years I still love the area.

Edited by asiaexpat
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

I have a home in Bang Saen and love the place. It is a college town and roars with students having fun on the weekends (petty quiet during the week.) I walk the beach regularly and have never encountered a problem or witnessed a fight. As for Soi Dogs, try walking down a soi in Bangkok without encountering mean dogs, but seldom in Bang Saen even on the beach.Those that find Bang Saen boring or dangerous have a different expectation than myself, but over many years I still love the area.

Must have changed, admittedly 5 years or so I was last there. Soi dogs near the beach where horrid! You know when there is a pack of them and you have one in front trying to get your attention and 4 coming from behind to take a lump out of you? Packs of them everywhere near the beach. I actually googled Bang Saen and amongst the results were people with chunks taken out of their calves / legs, bleeding and lots of mention of the issue. Maybe they sorted it out. It struck me as a normal Thai small town, no attempt to be a tourist resort and that's fine, obviously how the locals like it. Not many restaurants but there was a cracker....Thai seafood place in what looked like a converted house. The food was excellent. Other issue for me on the beach....or the one I was swimming at very shallow. You would need to walk 500m to get wet

Edited by Kenny202

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

If not a savage city then why the savage beating of four college kids ?

Happens everywhere sometimes, and probably worse in other countries, even our own. Boys will be boys. Not something you here with regularity here.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Well said. I have been in the area for many years and really like the place. I used to stay at the Yanadin Apartments in the years prior to my marriage in 2008, had our wedding reception at the Tide Resort. Have lived in Chonburi since then and regularly go to Bang Saen but never witnessed any trouble. Bang Saen has grown quite a bit in recent years and it would be extremely surprising if there wasn't some issue now and again. I grew up in a very small town in the north of Scotland and brawls were a fairly regular occurrance.

Bang Saen can hardly be described as a "tourist area", particularly for foreigners. If it wasn't for the expat community on the outskirts the foreigner would be as common as a nine bob note. I go to the hospital there and the number of foreigners I have seen over the years you could count on one hand.

As far as I am concerned, one of the best places in Thailand to live, ticks most of the boxes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

If not a savage city then why the savage beating of four college kids ?

"Chonburi police admitted that the two sides had a personal conflict."

Since when did personal conflicts make a city savage?

Didn't Trump have a bit of a personal conflict?

What a bunch of <deleted>. I have been coming to Thailand for 42 years and I have seen this thing happen throughout that time.  The only difference here from most western countries is that they are more likely to use a knife or a gun, in fact that is pretty common here.