Former PM Thaksin slams modest minimum wage hike of 5%, calls for ฿800 a day rate over 2 terms

webfact

On 9/17/2022 at 7:34 AM, jonclark said:

Sadly though for most people the hand doesn't give them enough to feed them. 

I think before they raise the minimum wage they should sort out the state pension. about 600 baht per month...for a huge number of elderly rural people that is their sole income as they were so poor without any opportunity to save for later life. So now they rely their sate pension and any money their family can send from their minimum wage jobs.

Given the vast amounts of money companies make in profits I do not buy the arguement that they can't afford it. More like they don't want to afford it.

How about more people in Thailand paying some tax ,you pay in you get something out,my wife gets the 600 baht/month pension,she has not worked in a job that pays tax for 20 years ,and they are a few million more like her ,companies make a profit they pay some tax ,it should be the government's job to get the population to pay taxes ,they do in our own countries .

The few people I know that pay tax are only paying 4-5 %. 

6 hours ago, kickstart said:

The few people I know that pay tax are only paying 4-5 %. 

They are earning between Bt.12,500 and Bt.25,000 a month......... Hard to expect to pay more than 5%.

If I were on the low end of that bracket I would ask my employer to pay me Bt.12,400 a month then the tax is 0% !!

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Good for you. You must be one of the few companies that have taken on extra staff.

BTW Insults are not really appreciated.

You are absolutely correct that so many countries shut down a lot due to Covid. From what I can read however, unemployment has gone down greatly as well, though not nearly enough for some reason in Thailand.

Many posts on this forum suggest the same.

So in 8 years the daily rate has gone up by ONLY 60 baht a day, though without checking I suspect that the cost of living has gone up more than that.

The official inflation  figure for that time is 9.3% and as the wage was about 300 at that time it makes 60Baht look reasonable. But you know what they say about statistics.

On 9/18/2022 at 6:18 PM, peter zwart said:

please dont let this man come back. I want Anutin.

If you were Thai ,you would want him back in.

It was him that brought in the Thai pension ,

It was Tucksin that brought in  monthly payments for handicap people ,ie wife's daughter. 

It was Tucksin that brought  in the 30 baht Luk-Sar,heath care system 

You can see why his main base in Issan would like him back. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kickstart said:

If you were Thai ,you would want him back in.

It was him that brought in the Thai pension ,

It was Tucksin that brought in  monthly payments for handicap people ,ie wife's daughter. 

It was Tucksin that brought  in the 30 baht Luk-Sar,heath care system 

You can see why his main base in Issan would like him back. 

Fortunately, it will never happen.