Agoda

luckyblock token

Have been using them for many years, not a scam company at all. I would point out that some times the photos of some hotels are not a true likeness, maybe photo was taken when first open. Also need to check exactly where the hotel is for location, ease of transport etc. But over all very good. You may want to also look at Tra .... go and Google travel as comparison sites

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Interested to know how you will get scammed when you pay on arrival ????   

we are living in uncertain times and my mom is 76 years.  

any failure to arrive at hotel will incur in full charge of booking value.

I do not need garbage like this because we are booking 6 weeks with high price.

Agoda is simply a listing site for hotels.

The do offer a level of protections, if said hotels advert is deceptive.  BUT, do remember, most Thai hotels are self-rated.  Read the reviews, CARFULLY.  Not the good ones, the 3/5 or 6/10 and below.  Look at the 'visitor's' photos.   Cross reference with Google map reviews & 'visitor' photos.

Negative reviews about no western food, and no English speaking staff can be ignored ... it's Thailand, deal with it.

I've had no negative issues with Agoda, actually the opposite, and Agoda & hotel has help me correct my 'oops' when booking a couple times, allowing me to rebook without penalty, or even getting a refund, when not 'officially' entitle to one.

Read the refund policy of the hotel.  Agoda can only go by what the hotel allows them to do.  Unless you don't receive what you paid for; ex; come with buffet brekkie, and you got none, or rate changed on check in, or room not available.  Agoda provides some protection there.

Many people complain about low price guarantees not being honored.  In that aspect, it has to be the 'exact' booking vs booking to be applied, and usually not the case.

Always cross check with other booking sites, including the hotels own site.  You'll be surprise sometimes on pricing & offers.  Same price on one site, might include brekkie.  Read you final charge, before confirming reservation.

Lastly, if possible, call & ask the hotel (preferably a Thai), as they don't always stick to 'Agoda' pricing policy.  Especially 'low price' guarantee.

I rarely use sites anymore, as last minute booking usually, but wife (Thai) usually gets a better or same rate as internet postings, and usually without prepayment.  Or it will be last minute, and we'll transfer funds when 1 hr away from check in, as sh!t happens when on the fly.

HAPPY TRAVELS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luckyblock token said:

Now I have read countless bad reviews in trustpilot about this company!!. some are calling agoda a scam company.

The internet is full of 19yos who dont know anything.

Agoda is owned by the biggest hotel booking company. Been around for 15 years or more.

Amazed you never heard of them.

19yos think everything is a scam.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

@luckyblock token, you are correct, the reviews on trustpilot are scathing of Agoda. It would make you think twice to use their services.

Having said that, I have used Agoda for booking in Asia only for over 8 years and never had a problem, ever. 

I find many tourists are clueless. I use booking.com, same company as agoda.

People whinge about non matching towels or a torn towel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

you are correct, the reviews on trustpilot are scathing of Agoda

Nice to know. I'll never use them again, and I was able to get my money back. Of course It took a month and a half, after they said they would  immediately put it back in my account. Lots of people love them, they give the cheapest quotes, but beware.  

Edited by LomSak27

Always worth to check the hotel website.

At a hotel in Pattaya : Just managed to book a room category which does not show up or shown as booked on Agoda, Booking.com or Expedia.

Booking though was fairly complicated through Paypal, VISA credit card (VISA secure).

A hell lot of logging in to my banking app, requesting codes bla bla...

Jumping/changing through the websites on the mobile.

But I could pay 2000 Baht deposit from my VISA with proper exchange rate and no fees.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, luckyblock token said:

That is a bit misleading.

Normally there is a full refund period and when that expires only the first night will be charged up until 24 hours before booking starts.

Obviously you are of the opinion that "payment on arrival" removes any obligation to turn up.

Good luck on finding any reputable hotel that will take a booking without a guarantee of some partial payment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Nice to know. I'll never use them again, and I was able to get my money back. Of course It took a month and a half, after they said they would  immediately put it back in my account. Lots of people love them, they give the cheapest quotes, but beware.  

Dont have to pay upfront. Pay at hotel. Thats what I do. Also read reviews of hotels then go direct to hotel.

Learn to play the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, luckyblock token said:

Dont book. Just turn up. Hotels everywhere 25% full.

All hotels want to charge 1st night if you book and not turn up. If you do that you wasted their time.

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Use Trivago to check hotel rates. I find that Agoda is often the cheapest anyway, but not always. I've booked through Agoda many dozens of times and never had a problem.

I had a fairly serious issue with them over my quarantine but in view of the service over a fairly long period I wouldn't hold it against them, just a bit more cautious in the future.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is the dry season(well used to be), not the high season.

High season is dry season. Most places put rates up in November til May. Dec, Jan are peak season.

Gulf islands are different. Different monsoon.

Phuket and Phi Phi drop their prices June to October.

Been like that for 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Most of the time just turn up. I avoid farang hotel ghettos and xmas so no need.

I have been traveling around Thailand throughout the pandemic under the WTT scheme. Some of the hotels were fully booked and not a foreigner in sight.

Not always the case, beginning of last week we were at a resort in Khaoyai and the only guests in the hotel, asked to eat in the room. The following night at Kabinburi a bit better, maybe 20% occupancy.

All about where and when, Thai tourist areas can be busier than those frequented by your "farangs".

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have been traveling around Thailand throughout the pandemic under the WTT scheme. Some of the hotels were fully booked and not a foreigner in sight.

Not always the case, beginning of last week we were at a resort in Khaoyai and the only guests in the hotel, asked to eat in the room. The following night at Kabinburi a bit better, maybe 20% occupancy.

All about where and when, Thai tourist areas can be busier than those frequented by your "farangs".

Thais have seminars and tour groups. Easy to find a room though. Never always booked out unless some major thing.

"Some of" hotels. Yep some not all. Tour groups.

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

The internet is full of 19yos who dont know anything.

Agoda is owned by the biggest hotel booking company. Been around for 15 years or more.

Amazed you never heard of them.

19yos think everything is a scam.

19 year olds think it is a scam because they are looking in a mirror at the time.

• Haha 1