Dressing for Outdoor Activities in Direct Sunlight

NickyLouie

The sun is brutal here during the high peak hours but being outdoors is something lots of us do.

So other than a wide brimmed cap what other dressing practices are used to thwart the UV rays?

I've tried long sleeve swimmers type shirts and they end up getting absolutely drenched in sweat leading to prickly heat rashes.

It used to be :

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday sun.

A ditty with which I concur.  However, if you must go out then lather up with a strong sunscreen and try to keep the skin protected with lightweight clothing. 

I ignored my own good advice until finally after having skin cancer dealt with on several occasions , I am now extremely careful about the sun. It can kill you if you live here but ignore sensible precautions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

Not what I asked, if in direct sunlight what works best.

You may carry on.

I just told you. If you can stay out of the direct sun. Walk on the side of the road which has shade. You have obviously not been to a really hot country which is why you ask a reasonable question.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Denim said:

It used to be :

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday sun.

A ditty with which I concur.  However, if you must go out then lather up with a strong sunscreen and try to keep the skin protected with lightweight clothing. 

I ignored my own good advice until finally after having skin cancer dealt with on several occasions , I am now extremely careful about the sun. It can kill you if you live here but ignore sensible precautions.

Head wear retains up.to 60% of body heat so beware of heatsroke and dehydration.if your a hat wearing Englishman! 

Edited by Olmate

Mirror those who are experienced.  Light (cotton), white, full coverage.  

image.png.281b18c5e8e1c63f82f0e85b187778d4.png

Me ... don't care, those damn walks in the park & surfside.  Got to get your Vit D

image.png.fbefe471394af351e735c9b1d3213f37.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

High vis longsleeve shirt yellow with blue trim, collar up, mine have a lot of tiny holes which don't let any sun in but allow it to breathe, long pants, shoes, socks and wide brim hat if working. I draw the line at the t shirt wrapped around your face that many of them do here

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

OP search “Columbia” outdoor/fishing clothing.

They’re lightweight with breathing panels built in.

Not cheap but there are clones around.

Thanks, brought a Mountain Hardwear shirt with similar features and will check to see what Decathlon has.

• Like 1