The 45,000 Baht brick :(

14 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Hi @Crossy  Any sign of the replacement ?????  The suspense is killing us.

image.png.8c64ba643f3f4726dcc3cf3b5a3d00fd.png

Unfortunately Madam is at the hospital today, so if they want to deliver after about 12.00 it will have to wait.

8 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Lets hope that it works after DHL have 'inspected' it.

It was customs who inspected it, but ...

I might just power the beast up on the bench before mounting it, just in case :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

No dicey cops (ok there was customs involved), and you need at least one ladyboy, a midget and possibly a ghost or two for a proper Thai soap.

The Thai implementation/definition of "woke"... :tongue:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

It was customs who inspected it, but ...

Was it?   I wouldn't be to sure.  I would bet 10 2 1 that DHL opened the parcel to inspect the inverter and identify the make/model/serial # which they then checked via the internet against the declared made by the Sofar when they shipped it.

As far as I'm aware the major freight players such as FedEx, DHL and UPS have a 'special' agreement with Thai customs insofar that they initially 'act' as per Thai customs in clearing the item and determining the amount of duty and tax to be paid.  They then change their 'hat' to that of 'broker' in the negotiations between the customer and themselves as 'customs' regarding the duty/tax payable.  It is only on rare or special occasions that Thai Customs actually become directly involved. 

Its win, win for them.  They get paid to ship the item in the first place, then paid a broker's fee by the receiving customer to get customs clearance and then get a nice little percentage commission from Thai customs after they have collected the duty/tax due.

I gleamed the above information from my wife's niece who works for one of the above mentioned 'players' a couple of years ago when I imported some first aid equipment from the UK that I was donating to my local rescue foundation.  In that case it was not only the duty/tax that they wanted, but import license's from the Department of Food and Drugs Administration for each item.  Negotiations with them was like pulling the teeth from a tiger.   

So you appear to have been very lucky.

I hope it works OK when you test/install it.   Are you going to have to return the dead one? 

• Like 1