Pound slumps to all-time low against dollar

webfact

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And what does that have to do with the fact that British mining communities suffered severe and lasting damage from the closing of the mines? If Scargill was doing the job gratis would that have made any difference to these people's lives? The stuff you cite, whether it's the occasional miner who putatively did well after the closure, or the greed of union officials, are just red herrings.

Denial. That's funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

To accuse someone of posting false information is basically calling them a liar. I believe that is against forum rules.

Actually that’s not necessarily true, one might even say it’s false information.

If, for example, a member gets the information from a lunatic fringe website they spend a lot of time on, or they obtain information from cable TV ‘entertainment program’ masquerading as a ‘factual news source’, then no matter how removed from reality these sources have driven them, they could not reasonably be accused of lying for posting the misinformation they rely on to inform their view of the world.

In such a case, pointing out that the member is posting misinformation is not accusing them of lying.

It’s simply reminding them they are misinformed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Actually that’s not necessarily true, one might even say it’s false information.

If, for example, a member gets the information from a lunatic fringe website they spend a lot of time on, or they obtain information from cable TV ‘entertainment program’ masquerading as a ‘factual news source’, then no matter how removed from reality these sources have driven them, they could not reasonably be accused of lying for posting the misinformation they rely on to inform their view of the world.

In such a case, pointing out that the member is posting misinformation is not accusing them of lying.

It’s simply reminding them they are misinformed. 

Dress it up as much as you like. My information is first hand. If someone decides to refute that information they are saying it's false and calling me a liar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, placeholder said:

Apparently, in your mind, it's necessary to for aseannow members to credit any assertion made by a member. I have no idea if what you're claiming is true. That goes not just for you but anyone posting.. And so long as you produce evidence that is not independently confirmable that's my stance. I didn't deny the truth of what you said about Scargill's malfeasance because it is independently confirmable. (It's not significant to the issue, but that's another question.) I suggest you stick to confirmable facts to support your case.

I suggest you accept that posters can speak about personal experiences without lying. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

I suggest you accept that posters can speak about personal experiences without lying. 

I suggest you accept that posters can invent personal experiences.

Maybe when the day comes that aseannow.com does detailed backgrounds checks on its members, you might have at least sort of a point. Until then, not so much.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 3:53 AM, JonnyF said:

NHS spending in 2016 was 135 Billion per year. In 2020 it was 191 Billion.

That's 56 Billion extra, or 1.07 Billion per week. Now, some of that was due to Covid. But even without Covid, in 2022-2023 it will be 173 Billion. 38 Billion extra. 730,000,000 per week.

Is that the money that Boris was talking about on his side of the bus message ?

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I suggest you accept that posters can invent personal experiences.

I have seem a few documentaries and read news reports about how former miners are faring  .

Some former miners  have indeed started their own business and been successful and wouldn't want to be a miner again .

Do you think that every former miner spent the rest of their life unemployed and none of them got other jobs ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have seem a few documentaries and read news reports about how former miners are faring  .

Some former miners  have indeed started their own business and been successful and wouldn't want to be a miner again .

Do you think that every former miner spent the rest of their life unemployed and none of them got other jobs ?

I no more deny that than I do that some people win the lottery. Which is why I plan to invest all my funds in lottery tickets.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

But mah sovereignty and something about fishing and the French, and bendy bananas, and billions more per month for the NHS (lies of course) and mah nostalgic blue passport! ????

Thick Lizzy and Kwazimodo are now about to peg the dying quid to the Thai satang! ????????????????

Keep calm and carry on up the Khyber!

Oh, you're back.....????

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Dress it up as much as you like. My information is first hand. If someone decides to refute that information they are saying it's false and calling me a liar.

It’s only first hand if it’s an account of something you yourself witnessed with your own eyes in front of the events you are relating.

If you are relating anything that came to you by any media, or through the accounts of any thrift person, it is not ‘first hand’.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

????

BoJo was not criticized for claiming the EU contribution would be used to fund the NHS. He was critized and mocked for blatantly lying about the amount of the contribution.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/21/boris-johnson-wrongly-claims-350m-nhs-promise-is-in-manifesto

"The UK’s statistics watchdog has delivered a public rebuke to the Vote Leave campaign for continuing to claim that EU membership costs the UK £350m a week.

Sir Andrew Dilnot, chair of the UK Statistics Authority, said he was disappointed that the lead Brexit campaign was continuing to make this claim and that it was “misleading and undermines trust in official statistics”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/27/uk-statistics-chief-vote-leave-350m-figure-misleading

Edited by candide
  • Like 1