Putin grants Russian citizenship to US whistleblower Edward Snowden

Scott

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never understood why he [Trump] didn't [pardon him]. That would have been a poke in the eye to the Washington establishment.

My guess would be that Trump did the cowardly thing and refrained from pardoning because he didn't want to be called (for the umpteenth time) a "Russian asset."  Trump tested the wind and saw that pardoning Snowden would not be good for business.  (Might even encourage the perpetual liar Adam Schiff to try another impeachment.)

Snowden is lucky, or rather he seems to be still somehow useful to putin. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

A guy named Edward Lee Howard, a former CIA case officer, became a russian asset (the reasons are complicated). It is believed that it was intel from Howard that the most significant clandestine asset of modern times, Adolf Tolkachev, was uncovered and executed.

Howard was given asylum in russia, but like so many people whose usefulness came to an end, he died falling down the stairs in his home. Often it's falling out of a window, but recently there have been many 'stair accidents' in russia.

By the way, snowden was pretty low level, and some of what he 'revealed' is actually incorrect. He did take some coding that he did not develop, however, and shared that with russia.

Edited by Walker88

3 hours ago, sead said:

Or the USA and NATO could say we won't expand more. Or Zelenskiy could say we are not interested in a NATO membership as they could have said before even 1 person got killed. It's all about how you look at it isn't it?

Or the USA and NATO could have continued to turn a blind eye to Putin's slow but inexorable expansionism. Georgia, Azerbaijan (Karabach), Kazakhstan (the CSTO "invitation"), Donetsk, Luhansk with the Russian citizenship referendums and even Syria with direct military command and control. It's all about how you look at it isn't it?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never understood why he didn't. That would have been a poke in the eye to the Washington establishment.

Whereas it is easy to understand why he pardoned felons who could have implicated him in criminal acts.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

It’s amazing really that this is on a forum , one sided chat only , the treatment snowdon got with the US government, tried to silence him , wonder if this post lasts more than 20 seconds same my last , ,post only that are part of the narrative only 

There are two people currently being sought by the US DOJ who claim to be ‘whistle blowers’.

In alphabetical order Assange  and Snowden.

I very much hope to see Assange tried, convicted and locked away for decades.

I believe Snowden is a genuine whistle blower acting out of good conscious and should be free from prosecution

.……

The question needs to be asked, why when he has so much else on his plate is Putin making this particular announcement now.

Perhaps he feels he needs to pass a message to someone.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The question needs to be asked, why when he has so much else on his plate is Putin making this particular announcement now.

Perhaps he feels he needs to pass a message to someone.

Come to Daddy and I'll make you a citizen.  No guesses as to who.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:13 AM, pelagicpete said:

The reason that Putin invaded the Ukraine was to take all its wealth, which Russia needs. It is right there sitting on their doorstep and ripe for picking.

All their other excuses for the invasion are flim flam.

Ukraine has the riches that Russia needs, oil, gas, wheat, exports, heavy industry and so on.

That is the only reason for it.

And he was ready for a showdown with the West.

Nononono. You have not understood any of it

• Love It 2