Thailand fully reopens from 1 October 2022

webfact

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

I remember reading that wearing a mask does not really  protect the wearer at all -  it prevents the wearer from passing on germs if he/she is infected, and is coughing and sneezing into the mask rather than infect people close by.

You read wrong:

1351822441_2022-08-11CDConFacemaskwearingandCOVIDrisks.jpg.398c42e9c6c456c3205e3c730101a4ae.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/risks-exposure.html

"Masking is a critical public health tool for preventing spread of COVID-19, and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask.

To protect yourself and others from COVID-19, CDC continues to recommend that you wear the most protective mask you can that fits well and that you will wear consistently.

Masks and respirators are effective at reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, when worn consistently and correctly."

AND

"Respirators are made to protect you by filtering the air and fitting closely on the face to filter out particles, including the virus that causes COVID-19. They can also contain droplets and particles you breathe, cough, or sneeze out so you do not spread them to others."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I remember reading that wearing a mask does not really  protect the wearer at all -  it prevents the wearer from passing on germs if he/she is infected, and is coughing and sneezing into the mask rather than infect people close by.

True, but if unfortunately someone near you sneezed a Covid sneeze right in your masked  face then maybe a mask helps ? I’ve always hated those people who cough and sneeze without trying to avoid other people , use your elbow if you don’t have a tissue . Just as those that spit in public ! Yuck ! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to advise that as of today international travellers to Thailand will no longer be required to show proof of vaccination or ATK test results, and a longer length of stay will be on offer, signalling the completion of the kingdom’s full reopening to international tourism.

Does that mean I can delete Mor Phrom from my phone?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, internationalism said:

I think they announced it just recently. Rather to early to see influx in October.

Some countries, like germany, opened for summer holidays, despite omicron. As to boost tourism and travel.

Yes, they had inevitable wave, but rather small one. 

For them winter time waves are more dangerous, as they are enhanced by flu

And no gas coming from Russia.

9 hours ago, gejohesch said:

"99% of Thais ..... wear masks everywhere"

Yeah, that's what we see in our local ampheu city. 99% of the people on motorcycles wear a mask, which is totally stupid how on earth can you catch the virus in free open air, especially when going at speed? At the same time, 90% of the same people do not wear a helmet. Go figure!

I saw 50% or less in Isaan

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

the mask wearing by Thais is not based on common sense. 

Helmet wearing, would save many many many more lives than masks ever have. 

Safe riding and driving too. You have 3 speeds, too slow, normal and too fast. No wonder so many crashes.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You read wrong:

1351822441_2022-08-11CDConFacemaskwearingandCOVIDrisks.jpg.398c42e9c6c456c3205e3c730101a4ae.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/risks-exposure.html

"Masking is a critical public health tool for preventing spread of COVID-19, and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask.

To protect yourself and others from COVID-19, CDC continues to recommend that you wear the most protective mask you can that fits well and that you will wear consistently.

Masks and respirators are effective at reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, when worn consistently and correctly."

AND

"Respirators are made to protect you by filtering the air and fitting closely on the face to filter out particles, including the virus that causes COVID-19. They can also contain droplets and particles you breathe, cough, or sneeze out so you do not spread them to others."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html

I am not disputing your facts and figures, but who are you to tell me so bluntly that "I read wrong"?

Your attitude is very argumentative, and I can assure you that I did not "read wrong".

It may be that where I read it was not the same place as you got your information from - in fact I did not get the information from the agency that you quote. It may be that wearing a LOW QUALITY mask does not give the wearer much protection, but can prevent the wearer from spreading germs from coughs and sneezes.

Yes, many "maybes", but I can assure you of one thing - I did read it somewhere, and I am not in the habit of "reading things wrong".   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, geisha said:

True, but if unfortunately someone near you sneezed a Covid sneeze right in your masked  face then maybe a mask helps ? I’ve always hated those people who cough and sneeze without trying to avoid other people , use your elbow if you don’t have a tissue . Just as those that spit in public ! Yuck ! 

I think it would depend on the quality of the mask! If it was one of those cheap cotton ones, I fear that you are DOOMED!

And yes, people who spit in public are despicable germ spreaders - not just Covid. Personally, I always carry a couple of tissues anyway - you never know when you might need one in some of the toilets here!

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Maybe the locals aren't keeping up with the latest news from the government...

And/or, perhaps some of them have decided to continue wearing masks regardless of the government largely ending the policy mandate for them.

In my book, exercising common sense doesn't require a government mandate.

Many Thais are not blessed with common sense , Likewise many Thai government mandates are not based on common sense either.  Indeed  legislation is no substitute for , and does not promote common sense, as  it reduces the need for  people to  think for themselves

. A largely uneducated population  is the easiest for governments to control and this countries population fits that description. They have had the fear of god put into them, and it will take a long time to get over it, Don't forget that people here, including the educated and some, possibly most, senior government officials are scared of ghosts !

I can only imagine its a similar situation everywhere to a varying degree due to a combination of people not normally  being used to being controlled by fear, and governments being rather good at using propaganda to scare  people when they feel it is necessary 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OJAS said:

And a rather more rapid decrease in the number of seats in banks and immigration offices within existing totals with X plonked on them, hopefully.

I always use the public urinals marked with an 'X.'  They're the cleanest!  :thumbsup:  <laughs>

18 hours ago, Letseng said:

Why do antimaskers worry about people wearing a mask?

We can choose to limit exposure to not get infected or to not care about infecting others. Pity that the latter group is mainly farangs. 

Probably for similar reasons that people who don't want the vaccine always have to be so vocal about  it. They seem unable to just "not have it" without telling everybody.

Then again if masks are so effective, why do people who do wear them get so bothered about those who don't ?

23 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Probably for similar reasons that people who don't want the vaccine always have to be so vocal about  it. They seem unable to just "not have it" without telling everybody.

Then again if masks are so effective, why do people who do wear them get so bothered about those who don't ?

You have that last part backwards.  Those non maskers are the ones wondering and worrying about those of us who do still wear them.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You have that last part backwards.  Those non maskers are the ones wondering and worrying about those of us who do still wear them.

You may be right, but it seems like "six of one and half a dozen of the other" , as they say   both illogical as far as I am concerned

31 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Perhaps many unvaccinated people would be less likely to tell people about it if they had not for two-plus years been harassed, threatened, discriminated against, told that they would be treated as second-class citizens, or not even citizens at all, had their livelihoods threatened or taken away, fined and threatened with jail.

I imagine they feel a sense of relief, rather like someone who has just been let out of jail tends to celebrate their freedom.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Perhaps many unvaccinated people would be less likely to tell people about it if they had not for two-plus years been harassed, threatened, discriminated against, told that they would be treated as second-class citizens, or not even citizens at all, had their livelihoods threatened or taken away, fined and threatened with jail.

I imagine they feel a sense of relief, rather like someone who has just been let out of jail tends to celebrate their freedom.

Possibly, but I know some who were very vocal about taking any vaccine before they were even available and before all those threats had started. However I agree that trying to force it on people in that way was wrong.

Had we done nothing, i.e. no masks, no vaccines , no social distancing, no economy crippling lockdowns, etc etc  would we on the whole be better or worse off now ?   Personally I don't know the answer to that and I can't believe anybody else does either, but don't think it really made much difference either way. Although some people have made  fortune as a result of the measures taken

Edited by Bday Prang

13 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Bloke, it is not a mandate.

Stop telling us it is.

I went BTS 30 Sep.

Lots not wearing or chin guards.

I cannot quote the BKK Post here but on September 30 2022 it said that the wearing of masks on public transport and in cinemas is STILL mandatory.

So Thailand Ryan is quite correct and you are quite wrong. You don't have to believe me of course but if you did a Google search under something like "Thailand mask wearing on public transport in Bangkok" before you posted your comment you would have discovered that mask wearing on the BTS IS mandatory.

Just because you saw people on the BTS not wearing a mask does not make it true.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

On 10/1/2022 at 4:02 AM, internationalism said:

I think they announced it just recently. Rather to early to see influx in October.

Some countries, like germany, opened for summer holidays, despite omicron. As to boost tourism and travel.

Yes, they had inevitable wave, but rather small one. 

For them winter time waves are more dangerous, as they are enhanced by flu

Went through Germany this summer where masks was mandatory on all trains, i.e. public transports..

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Had we done nothing, i.e. no masks, no vaccines , no social distancing, no economy crippling lockdowns, etc etc  would we on the whole be better or worse off now ?   Personally I don't know the answer to that and I can't believe anybody else does either, but don't think it really made much difference either way. Although some people have made  fortune as a result of the measures taken

Whether we would be better or worse off healthwise I don't know - as you say, it's an impossible question to answer definitively.

But I feel sure that we would be economically better off, and probably as societies, since all the political hypocrisy, propaganda, mandates and demonization of opponents, has surely had a toxic effect which will take time to dissipate.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Mingomania said:

Went through Germany this summer where masks was mandatory on all trains, i.e. public transports..

yes, but from 1st June not any vax checking. In fact they have stopped checking them already in May, they have left it to airlines at check in.

Masks don't have anything to do with entry rights.

3 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Whether we would be better or worse off healthwise I don't know - as you say, it's an impossible question to answer definitively.

But I feel sure that we would be economically better off, and probably as societies, since all the political hypocrisy, propaganda, mandates and demonization of opponents, has surely had a toxic effect which will take time to dissipate.

Spot on , and for me it has also highlighted how we are not encouraged ( infact positively discouraged or even forbidden) from questioning anything that has become the "official narrative"  no matter how dubious the "science" behind it is. climate change being another example.

Many people will have lost any faith they may have had before in government as a result, and as for the media, well I think we all knew we couldn't trust them years ago Yet strangely some people love to quote from media  articles treating reports  that they personally agree with as the gospel truth whilst just disregarding anything else point blanc . 

Economically the fallout is incalculable and will no doubt have consequences for all , lasting well beyond the life expectancies of anybody alive today, we will never know how things might have been had covid never existed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

what I find difficult to comprehend is the willingness for people to be so unquestioning and for so long,  in their belief of what they were told, 

Well, to confront the idea that your government is dogmatic, incompetent, controlling and often vicious, and shows no sign of caring about your health or livelihood, is psychologically very challenging for many people.

Ignorance can be comfortable - for a while, anyway.

• Like 1

I see people walking on quiet beaches still wearing masks and single drivers in cars.

Thai people are shy, masks help them deal with their shyness. 

I understand not wanting to get Covid, I've had terrible pulmonary issues cause by contracting it a few months ago. Long Covid is not nice. 

I see farang not wearing masks in Market Village Hua Hin, rather complacently/rudely/ignorantly, IMHO. 

They don't understand Thai culture and values. We are not the USA, where they have different Values, like 'freedom'. In Thailand, there is the 'Value of community', and of course 'greng Jai' which has no real translation. 

Many farang have no cultural awareness at all! I urge you to understand Thai culture and forget your cultural assimilation. There is a farang saying -  'when in Rome' -  does this not apply to you in Thailand?

If you are thinking of not wearing a mask, and don't understand 'greng jai', listen to the following good video. 

• Thumbs Up 2