Thailand fully reopens from 1 October 2022

webfact

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I see people walking on quiet beaches still wearing masks and single drivers in cars.

Thai people are shy, masks help them deal with their shyness. 

I understand not wanting to get Covid, I've had terrible pulmonary issues cause by contracting it a few months ago. Long Covid is not nice. 

I see farang not wearing masks in Market Village Hua Hin, rather complacently/rudely/ignorantly, IMHO. 

They don't understand Thai culture and values. We are not the USA, where they have different Values, like 'freedom'. In Thailand, there is the 'Value of community', and of course 'greng Jai' which has no real translation. 

Many farang have no cultural awareness at all! I urge you to understand Thai culture and forget your cultural assimilation. There is a farang saying -  'when in Rome' -  does this not apply to you in Thailand?

If you are thinking of not wearing a mask, and don't understand 'greng jai', listen to the following good video. 

I have lived here on and off for 30 years, and I have what I consider, however wrongly  to be a reasonable understanding of Thai culture for a foreigner . That is the reason  why, contrary to my personal beliefs, I do still wear the bloody mask were others are doing likewise, that, and an aversion to being remonstrated with by a concerned citizen, I am also aware that in doing so I am not exactly helping to get rid of something that rightly or wrongly  I and many others don't really agree with, but so be it, anything for a quiet life 

I am of course aware of the "english"  saying   "when in rome etc"  and endeavour to practise that in my day to day life generally speaking and not just limited to mask wearing 

As far as "kreng Jai" is concerned, of course I am aware of it ,how could I not be, ?  my personal translation of it would be "fearful respect"  (what do you reckon ? ) I have however noticed the many anomalies and often hypocritical nature of many aspects of Thai culture. I still fail to understand why wearing a crash helmet when riding a motorcycle is not considered to be an example of "kreng jai"  either for friends and  family, or at least for the responders who may have to scoop ones brains off the highway following an accident. 

• Like 1

In was not aware of any restrictions prior to Oct. 1st. Did I miss something? Those draconian restrictions which contributed to the decimation of tourism, long term, have been long gone for some time. Unfortunately, they remained in place for far too long. 

Normal situation or not: There are still ATK tests for sale everywhere and the virus is still around. It has not just vanished to be. Suppose you test yourself and you get a positive, where you dispose of the used test ? In the garbage ?

On 10/1/2022 at 9:07 AM, ezzra said:

Even though it is not mandatory, still, 99% of Thais and visitors wear masks everywhere, it's like you get the berating looks if you don't wear one, when is this going to stop i wonder?

I think people still wear them because they are really embarrassed that they wore them for so long .   Now they all have a "mask tan "  on their faces

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, Celsius said:

It seems like every country is fully opening on October 1st. The virus suddenly stopped being a virus

Except China!  Lets hope they stay closed for the next 20 or 30 years..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Normal situation or not: There are still ATK tests for sale everywhere and the virus is still around. It has not just vanished to be. Suppose you test yourself and you get a positive, where you dispose of the used test ? In the garbage ?

In my case that would mean burning it so yes , and why not?

• Like 1

One media commentator has stated his belief that maybe 80% of people in the typical society are "NPCs" (an online game term for Non-Player Characters), as he calls them, who have no independence of thought and merely run mechanically on tracks laid down for them by 'the authorities' and their accomplices in the media.

I think that Thailand falls into that category, so the nature of Thailand's progress after reopening will be entirely defined by bands of squabbling politicians.

19 minutes ago, rumak said:

I think people still wear them because they are really embarrassed that they wore them for so long .   Now they all have a "mask tan "  on their faces

Funny, at the Laos Thai border crossing.  On the  Thailand side everyone has a mask on. As soon as they cross into Laos everyone throws them in the trash.  LOL. Not a mask to be see in Laos.

• Love It 1

29 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

This is a net positive for society, probably the only positive from the whole Covid saga.

I agree but  problems may arise if there is ever a real threat in the near future,  "Crying wolf " and all that

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I see people walking on quiet beaches still wearing masks and single drivers in cars.

Thai people are shy, masks help them deal with their shyness. 

I understand not wanting to get Covid, I've had terrible pulmonary issues cause by contracting it a few months ago. Long Covid is not nice. 

I see farang not wearing masks in Market Village Hua Hin, rather complacently/rudely/ignorantly, IMHO. 

They don't understand Thai culture and values. We are not the USA, where they have different Values, like 'freedom'. In Thailand, there is the 'Value of community', and of course 'greng Jai' which has no real translation. 

Many farang have no cultural awareness at all! I urge you to understand Thai culture and forget your cultural assimilation. There is a farang saying -  'when in Rome' -  does this not apply to you in Thailand?

If you are thinking of not wearing a mask, and don't understand 'greng jai', listen to the following good video. 

98% of farangs can barely speak Thai. You want them to wear a mask to be shy too?

Masks are not Thai culture. They are in Japanese culture.

If you don't know this study culture.

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

see farang not wearing masks in Market Village Hua Hin, rather complacently/rudely/ignorantly, IMHO. 

In Nong Khai all restaurant staff no masks. All Thai. This was a month ago.

Who told you masks is Thai culture? Never has been.

And another thing !  what's with the TV presenters ?  they stopped wearing masks and then they started again Convicted felon and would be orange farmer Sorayuth on CH 7  being a good example Now some do and some don't  I doubt it is down to their personal choice so what's going on there.?   And what possible purpose do those ridiculous perspex visors supposedly serve,   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

In Nong Khai all restaurant staff no masks. All Thai. This was a month ago.

Who told you masks is Thai culture? Never has been.

But in Nong Khai many restaurant staff are from Lao they may not have been brainwashed as much

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I agree but  problems may arise if there is ever a real threat in the near future,  "Crying wolf " and all that

Estimates that between 15 million and 20 million people died from COVID around the world up through 2021, well above the official figure of 6.5+ million.

Many of those were during 2020 before the arrival of mRNA vaccines, which have been credited with saving 20 million other people during 2021 who otherwise would have died from COVID had they not been vaccinated.

You think COVID was "crying wolf"?

How many millions more would you want dead before it wasn't "crying wolf" in your view?

-------------------------------

"Although reported COVID-19 deaths between Jan 1, 2020, and Dec 31, 2021, totalled 5·94 million worldwide,
we estimate that 18·2 million (95% uncertainty interval 17·1–19·6) people died worldwide because of the COVID-19
pandemic (as measured by excess mortality) over that period."

http://www.thelancet-press.com/embargo/COVIDexcessmortality.pdf

14.9 million excess deaths associated with the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021

New estimates from the World Health Organization (WHO) show that the full death toll associated directly or indirectly with the COVID-19 pandemic (described as “excess mortality”) between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2021 was approximately 14.9 million (range 13.3 million to 16.6 million).

https://www.who.int/news/item/05-05-2022-14.9-million-excess-deaths-were-associated-with-the-covid-19-pandemic-in-2020-and-2021

COVID-19 vaccines saved an estimated 20 million lives in 1 year

COVID vaccines reduced the potential global death toll during the pandemic by almost two-thirds in their first year, saving an estimated 19.8 million lives, according to a mathematical modeling study yesterday in The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/06/covid-19-vaccines-saved-estimated-20-million-lives-1-year

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

One media commentator has stated his belief that maybe 80% of people in the typical society are "NPCs" (an online game term for Non-Player Characters), as he calls them, who have no independence of thought and merely run mechanically on tracks laid down for them by 'the authorities' and their accomplices in the media.

I think that Thailand falls into that category, so the nature of Thailand's progress after reopening will be entirely defined by bands of squabbling politicians.

NPC's thats a new one on me but  I like that analogy  and how very true       unfortunately is the same everywhere and to varying degrees we are all at the mercy of the squabbling and / or opportunist  politicians and their various accomplices and that is not unique to Covid but an ever present fact of everyday life

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Estimates that between 15 million and 20 million people died from COVID around the world up through 2021, well above the official figure of 6.5+ million.

Many of those were during 2020 before the arrival of mRNA vaccines, which have been credited with saving 20 million other people during 2021 who otherwise would have died from COVID had they not been vaccinated.

You think COVID was "crying wolf"?

How many millions more would you want dead before it wasn't "crying wolf" in your view?

-------------------------------

"Although reported COVID-19 deaths between Jan 1, 2020, and Dec 31, 2021, totalled 5·94 million worldwide,
we estimate that 18·2 million (95% uncertainty interval 17·1–19·6) people died worldwide because of the COVID-19
pandemic (as measured by excess mortality) over that period."

http://www.thelancet-press.com/embargo/COVIDexcessmortality.pdf

14.9 million excess deaths associated with the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021

New estimates from the World Health Organization (WHO) show that the full death toll associated directly or indirectly with the COVID-19 pandemic (described as “excess mortality”) between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2021 was approximately 14.9 million (range 13.3 million to 16.6 million).

https://www.who.int/news/item/05-05-2022-14.9-million-excess-deaths-were-associated-with-the-covid-19-pandemic-in-2020-and-2021

COVID-19 vaccines saved an estimated 20 million lives in 1 year

COVID vaccines reduced the potential global death toll during the pandemic by almost two-thirds in their first year, saving an estimated 19.8 million lives, according to a mathematical modeling study yesterday in The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/06/covid-19-vaccines-saved-estimated-20-million-lives-1-year

Not surprised at your response, you have been on here almost daily, since covid began cutting and pasting charts and data trying to scare people  for reasons known only to your self As far as I am concerned you can keep your estimates and data I am not interested.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comments removed
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Good. I like less tourists.

Somewhat shortsighted. There may be some short term personal benefits surrounding pricing and being less crowded,but ultimately a declining important sector of the economy and its impacts on the population who depend on it will not serve even you better in the long run

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Facts and credible, cited sources are inconvenient truths to the "crying wolf" types...

The word "estimate" appears quite a lot in your previous post ,  there is also mention of "mathematical modelling"  which has been shown time and time again to be a particularly inaccurate form of estimate. And you even mention estimates  that  exceed "official  figures " by some 300%  are the estimates more official than the official figures?   Can you not understand how many like myself simply don't care anymore.

I have covid twice once in the early days pre vaccine when it was "deadly"  and 6 months ago after 3 pfizer jabs  "omicron" neither was particularly unpleasant when compared to some bouts of flu I have encountered. So please forgive me for not being frightened by the charts, data, or statistical estimations that you feel the need to post on here  Its time for us all to get over ourselves and get on with life, and you are not helping with any return to normality

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Facts and credible, cited sources are inconvenient truths to the "crying wolf" types...

"Facts" and "credible" sources are in this case an inconvenience to those seeking the truth too. whatever the truth actually is. I am not so quick to believe all I am told   and I don't understand why anybody else is 

• Like 1

I'll start helping with a "return to normalcy" when there are LOT less than almost 10,000 people dying from COVID per week worldwide, which is the current "official" rate... Including more than 2,000 per week in the U.S. alone.

Screenshot_11.jpg.a1511a21148c03b64488bd65a451cd39.jpg

source link

And re the U.S., per Johns Hopkins:

"In the US, around 400 people die every day due to COVID-19, more than triple the average number who die from influenza."

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/--COVID-19-Updates---September-27--2022.html

The ‘End’ of COVID Is Still Far Worse Than We Imagined

Even now, the coronavirus is killing three times as many people as the flu.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/09/covid-pandemic-end-worse-than-flu/671514/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:52 AM, edogthong said:

Yes, we do! And I'm very proud to be one of them. I bet you wish that you were included in that group too. Be honest: Knowing what you know now, would you have gotten injected at all?

Absolutely yes!!! (Not if I "knew" what you "think you know" though)

But then my knowledge comes from competent medical / scientific sources rather than hysterical conspiracists. 

Just had my 4th Covid jab (Autumn booster) alongside my annual 'flu jab. Good Health! 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'll start helping with a "return to normalcy" when there are LOT less than almost 10,000 people dying from COVID per week worldwide, which is the current "official" rate... Including more than 2,000 per week in the U.S. alone.

Screenshot_11.jpg.a1511a21148c03b64488bd65a451cd39.jpg

source link

Did they die from covid or with covid? If you are 85yo with 3 problems and die with covid it really wasnt covid that killed you.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Somewhat shortsighted. There may be some short term personal benefits surrounding pricing and being less crowded,but ultimately a declining important sector of the economy and its impacts on the population who depend on it will not serve even you better in the long run

17% of gdp before 2020 I read. 40m tourists is too many.