British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't follow the European football (soccer), I'm NRL. 

I just regularly read the millions and millions of dollars these guys earn. 

There was a wage cap of £20 a week in British Soccer until 1961 and the then English captain, Johnny Haynes, was the first to hit £100 a week, probably a tidy sum back then. This footballer is 77 now so would have been playing after the wage cap was lifted but although Coventry City were a First Division team back in 1967 (no Premiership back then) he wasn't a star name and Shrewsbury Town were minnows. So, the idea that as an ex Pro Footballer he should be 'cashed up' and 'something fishy' is afoot is wrong. He may well be 'cashed up' but if he is it didn't come from his footballing talent.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

There was a wage cap of £20 a week in British Soccer until 1961 and the then English captain, Johnny Haynes, was the first to hit £100 a week, probably a tidy sum back then. This footballer is 77 now so would have been playing after the wage cap was lifted but although Coventry City were a First Division team back in 1967 (no Premiership back then) he wasn't a star name and Shrewsbury Town were minnows. So, the idea that as an ex Pro Footballer he should be 'cashed up' and 'something fishy' is afoot is wrong. He may well be 'cashed up' but if he is it didn't come from his footballing talent.

Sure, isolated cases, 1 or 2. 

Didn't see anyone talking about George Best and so, so many others, LOADED 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sure, isolated cases, 1 or 2. 

Didn't see anyone talking about George Best 

Because it wasn't about George Best, who was possibly the biggest name in British Soccer. Anyhow, here's what google says about him....just compare that with what the star players get now.

'At the peak of his career in the late 60s, George was earning around $150 thousand per year which is the same as around $1 million per year from salary and endorsements, after adjusting for inflation'.

I reckon George Best and maybe one or two more were the 'isolated cases'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

No mate, no third type. 

We'll see a few of the type 2's soon, by the reactions you receive from your disrespectful comment. 

Too many deadbeats and freeloaders in Thailand now. Go back home and be a burden on your own country. 

There you go again with your grand assumptions. BTW, I am home - in Spain - where I pay my 3600 euros per year for health insurance.

You’re on a roll, keep up the ‘great work’ ????????

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comments to other forum member removed
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Rubbish. Thais get treatment basically free at government hospitals. No 'barely able to afford hospitalization'.

Level up the thinking a bit in my post I said

"Lastly I do also have sympathy for Thailand too that has 70 million of its own barely able to afford hospitalization"

The nurses & doctors do not work for free on anyone Period!

Not here in Thailand on the 30 baht scheme...Not in the USA on Medicare.... Not in the UK on NHS

Guess where that pay in Thailand comes from? Taxpayers that can barely afford hospitalization

Ultimately not you in Thailand

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BRUFC said:

Because it wasn't about George Best, who was possibly the biggest name in British Soccer. Anyhow, here's what google says about him....just compare that with what the star players get now.

'At the peak of his career in the late 60s, George was earning around $150 thousand per year which is the same as around $1 million per year from salary and endorsements, after adjusting for inflation'.

I reckon George Best and maybe one or two more were the 'isolated cases'.

At least George would have paid his bill. 

No deadbeat or freeloader. 

18 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

9 times out of 10 is the estimate I read on the internet. 

But self inflicted happens to fat people and those that have unprotected promiscuous sex; I still feel sympathy for their plights.

I got it after Covid. 

21 hours ago, connda said:

77 imho is the span of a good life.  He should get his affairs in order and seek to check out as painlessly as possible.  Heck, 70 is a good life span. 

I find my estimation of a good life increases as I age......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mania said:

Yeah your right I should re-phrase that...Because

I do have sympathy for this mans family as now they suffer with his poor choices

I do have sympathy for the expats that could eventually be affected by folks like this too

because since years ago when it started getting popular to post these pleas for $$ it gets ever closer that Thailand will add mandatory coverage thru long term visa renewals

Which will screw those actually self insuring with a real account dedicated to that

Lastly I do also have sympathy for Thailand too that has 70 million of its own barely able to afford hospitalization now also burdened by expats "choosing to die" uninsured in Thailand

or worse yet laying unconscious & their unfortunate families abroad trying to cope with the mounting bills ultimately leaving Thailand unpaid

So people who have insurance but the insurance decides to not cover something, that never happens, right?

You know everything about the case, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Folks are saying, on here, if people haven't got the finances to stay here then they should not be here. Does that apply to all who are here using a visa agent cuz they don't have the finances required?

Does it matter? those with enough money giving unsolicited advice to those without, never really worked ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Yeah, comments sections are populated by such shallow and despicable people. They take pleasure in judging, it makes them feel superior, though they clearly are anything but. Like their counterparts in America whom I sought to escape from when I moved here. 

Probably shallow despicable comments made by the young or rich, at a time in their lives where they think they are invincible.

Until that dreaded time later in life when the younger ones find themselves in a similar position with health problems and sky high unaffordable insurance premiums with many exclusions.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 12:58 PM, connda said:

If he goes back the the UK, the NHS will put him on an 'end of life pathway.'
That is, if he can find a bed in an NHS facility. 
As a 70 year old all I can say is that he should have thought this out way before this.  77 imho is the span of a good life.  He should get his affairs in order and seek to check out as painlessly as possible.  Heck, 70 is a good life span.  I just want to be relatively comfortable before I go.  No asking family in the US to 'save me.'  My chosen family is here.  I'll die here. 

But, best of luck to Mr. John.

Jesus wept. after reading your post I just want to throw myself off the 17th floor. 

I imagine you're a dream to live with right now haha

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

As the pain beame to much he says give me the shot he was dead later that day.

I doubt your story; it would be very hard to find a Thai doctor to give someone this kind of life-ending shot.

Edited by orchis
clarity
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Well said. Me likewise. I've no intention to go, or be taken to, anywhere near a hospital when the time comes. 

Easy to say when you're health is good, let's see what song you sing if you have a heart attack or get diagnosed with cancer and you are told with treatment you will live but without you will die.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Correct! Before that they do that they try everything they can to convince/persuade you and your relatives that you are better off dying in the comfort of your own (or a relatives) home. That way, they only have to provide three fifteen minute visits by a nurse each day. It's all about money and freeing up beds for patients who can be treated. Very difficult to argue against. 

Absolute Slanderous Rubbish

• Like 1

9 hours ago, masterpasser said:

In 1961 the maximum player salary was abolished and Johnny Haynes negotiated a 100 pounds a week salary .Keegan would have been on a lot more than 50 pounds a week 10 years later

If keegan was on £50 a week what were the rest of people earning, £10 ?

10 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Rubbish. Thais get treatment basically free at government hospitals. No 'barely able to afford hospitalization'.

True, but in some instances it's not great quality care, quite apart from waiting 5-6 hours to actually see a doctor.

Government hospitals give out the cheapest generics they can lay their hands on, and some pharmaceuticals that are available in private hospitals are not prescribed in the government ones.

From what I have seen, palliative care in government hospitals seems to consist of sending the patient home with a bottle of tramadol.

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Well worth getting a part-time job as a teacher for a year, then you can be in the system for life, 432 baht a year. 

Sorry, that should be 432 baht per month but still worth it. 

I know a guy who did exactly that aged 63 and loved it, teaching adults for 13 hours a week. He stopped aged 68 and died recently aged 83, after using many free health services, including a new hip, knee, and heart surgery. 

• Like 1