British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

59 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

If keegan was on £50 a week what were the rest of people earning, £10 ?

No, there wasn't a big wage disparity in football in those days. 

In 1971 Keegan was earning £25/week plus £10 win bonus playing for Scunthorpe in the 4th tier.  

He was offered £45/week to sign for Liverpool which he negotiated up to £50/week.

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Point being that average football players from the 1970's were earning the same wage as other working class people doing regular jobs .

I see no reason for them to be paid anymore than others

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

They have a skill that others do not have . 

They are paid more than others because others cannot do that job and therefore they work for whoever pays them and they generate an income which pays their wages 

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

They are paid more than others because others cannot do that job and therefore they work for whoever pays them and they generate an income which pays their wages 

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

In the 60's footballers played football on a Saturday but had a normal daytime job during the week. Training was in the evening. Wasn't unknown for players to work 5 hours overtime prior to a game on a Saturday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

plenty of people have rare skills  and don't get paid so generously  if they truly earn their money why are so many clubs in financial difficulties? 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 1:11 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm planning to die!

But, you know that can and usually is a process... and often is a slow and can be painful demise... my parents never would have wanted to suffer the dementia that they endured for the last ten years of their lives... 

17 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

So people who have insurance but the insurance decides to not cover something, that never happens, right?

You know everything about the case, right?

Yes Never happens to folks who tell the truth about any pre-existing conditions & buy real insurance

from international based companies (aka: Not Thai insurance companies)

I guess I know everything about this case that was reported as I read the article.

Do you perhaps know something we don't? Are you trying to claim he had insurance but insurance didn't pay?

Or are you just crying crocodile tears because you can relate & use that "insurance don't pay" as an excuse for you yourself not having any?

In any case if your sincerely concerned hit the go fund me page with a nice donation  ????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 4:37 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I hope Frank paid his way, his treatment, wasn't a burden on Thailand's fragile health system due to the many bloody penny pinching, cheap, lousy foreigners coming to Thailand to enjoy themselves then finding they have health issues, getting treatment then doing a runner, leaving their expensive medical bills for the Thai's to pay.

Lots of freeloaders in the world these days and too many of these types coming to Thailand. 

Yeah well many arrive in Western Countries and avail themselves of free medical treatment (and benefits) that are available there too....

It is a bit of a minefield here with some hospitals that are in the business to make as much out of your demise as they can, and many very poor insurance options. Many in the situation you claim commonplace that I know died at home, after the system emptied their accounts. 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:41 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

Why? Where? Here in Thailand?

French and Dutch are covered abroad! Rest his soul a friends father spent two months in Bangkok hospital 1 million a day 90% covered by France 

On 10/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, French mate said:

French are covered for free only in France and to some extended conditions in the UE.
Its true we can apply to a gouvernement international heal assurance that have is advantages and some fall back too. But its not free and for many like me the private sector offert better deal.

Well in the UK they have no international coverage to buy acceeot through private insurance 

6 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Obviously a different scenario, if he had family in Thailand he wouldn’t be in this situation now would he Einstein?

There's a post on page 3 indicating he had Thai family.

However, other posts state he was preparing to return to the UK to live with a daughter. 

On 10/4/2022 at 10:09 AM, mania said:

I am guessing this is one of those "I self insure" guys who always post here

Or the type that always say well if something bad happens I can just fly home & get treated for free

Sorry 0 Sympathy????

Better to self insure in Thailand if you have savings. The insurance would never pay up in this country to someone with COPD.

Very arrogant and uneducated post tbh

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Better to self insure in Thailand if you have savings. The insurance would never pay up in this country to someone with COPD.

Very arrogant and uneducated post tbh

I agree..... if one can afford to self insure it is by far a better option. No exclusions, no requirement to pay then claim (which negates a reason for having insurance). Make a claim here and they will be digging into your medical records to avoid paying up! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I agree..... if one can afford to self insure it is by far a better option. No exclusions, no requirement to pay then claim (which negates a reason for having insurance). Make a claim here and they will be digging into your medical records to avoid paying up! 

The reason one buys medical insurance is for the remote chance that you would encounter a medical condition that would far exceed what you have paid in over the years in premium or maybe have the ability to pay from your 'reserve' account.

Anything else is a 'maybe'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah well many arrive in Western Countries and avail themselves of free medical treatment (and benefits) that are available there too....

It is a bit of a minefield here with some hospitals that are in the business to make as much out of your demise as they can, and many very poor insurance options. Many in the situation you claim commonplace that I know died at home, after the system emptied their accounts. 

Best post here IMHO. I own a home in the US and pay a hospital tax! Yes, since I live in a city I am taxed yearly for the people that do not pay their bills!  

I am retired with Medicare and went to the hospital to remove kidney stones. They could not believe I was there and treated me like gold. I asked the doctor and he said I was the only one there that was actually paying the bill... I was floored. 

I have been in the hospital in Thailand several times and the bills were cheap and easy to pay out of pocket. 

IMHO Thailand just sensationalizes these cases to justify what ever they are pushing at the time. 

Scr3w em... 

Edited by Gknrd

8 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The reason one buys medical insurance is for the remote chance that you would encounter a medical condition that would far exceed what you have paid in over the years in premium or maybe have the ability to pay from your 'reserve' account.

Anything else is a 'maybe'.

Many many polices have limits on the claim you can make irrespective.... I had a policy with a max payout of 3mil.... and there is no guarantee they would pick up next years cover in the midst of a long illness. It is all a bit of a gamble....

Edited by jacko45k

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Many many polices have limits on the claim you can make irrespective.... I had a policy with a max payout of 3mil.... and there is no guarantee they would pick up next years cover in the midst of a long illness. It is all a bit of a gamble....

CIGNA Global  can go to $US 1 million or more annually per policy.

And when you say above that if you make a claim the insurer will go "digging into your medical records" you mean they will try to find some condition you did not declare on your application?

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

And when you say above that if you make a claim the insurer will go "digging into your medical records" you mean they will try to find some condition you did not declare on your application?

Or something they did not really ask the questions of in the form. (They need to ask the right questions too.) In my case they found nothing for the current claim, which they refused to pay 'in advance', but it did not stop them subsequently increasing the list of 'exclusions'.... They went back to items that I had completely forgotten about many years ago. And they also managed to link them in a tentative way to  serious more common aliments. I certainly would not have taken up the policy with those exclusions. I am not a doctor, why are they asking me? Can't cover, don't accept the premium. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Obviously a different scenario, if he had family in Thailand he wouldn’t be in this situation now would he Einstein?

☹️ He he had in family, he would still need self insurance or a plan.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:50 PM, Rocking Robert said:

Sure he has insurance nobody in their right mind would live in a foreign country without a premium healthcare insurance policy

Oh ! Really ??.......Sadly for those pushing past 70 years of age, health insurance cover becomes more unattainable.  Self insurance is the only option - i.e. having enough spare cash.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1