British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

16 hours ago, Cardano said:

Absolute Slanderous Rubbish

At one time I believed that my (U.K.) National Health Service was a good organisation, focussed on providing the best treatment according to the needs of the patient. My own experience with the death of my Mother taught me otherwise. Terminally ill patients (and a terminally ill person is still a patient in my book) often believe that if they can get out of the hospital and go home they will somehow be better. This delusion is encouraged by NHS staff because it saves money and clears the bed. They then tell you that in discharging they are only complying with the patients wishes. Some are uncomfortable doing this because they know that palliative treatment ceases. My Mother was assessed daily by a doctor and prescribed twelve tablets to relieve the symptoms of her metastatic disease. Three daily 15 minute visits by a district nurse are no substitute. If I was placed in the same position again I wouldn't answer my 'phone to the NHS staff and would leave (abandon) my relative in the hospital. That way they would receive more merciful treatment until death.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2022 at 6:57 PM, kennw said:

So how much cover do you think someone should you have to "be here" ?  My friend had a sequence of event many think was caused by a blood clot resulting from an operation end result, B10 m insurance finished so he was tossed out of the hospital but family had to pay B30,000 for the last day. Dont try to support the money machines here. 

Thanks for confirming what many of us know to be true. Private and Government hospitals will (and do) discontinue treatment when funds run out. The only difference I am aware of was an instance in a Government hospital of a guy needing brain surgery as a result of a moto accident. As he was unconscious he was moved onto a 40 bed non-airconditioned ward of terminally ill patients where he expired from his injuries.

On 10/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Hmmm, easy to say if you are not in that position (like I am, but with funds)  and have a Thai family. It's not s eslk in the park.

But must award the main gov Siriraj Mahidol University Hospital in BKK top marks, 5* for my recent 5 day stay for a major op. But very difficult to navigate without a Thai speaker.

Been to that hospital, good indeed. Live here and learned Thai so i can navigate myself and don't need to rely on my Thai family who would help if needed.

On 10/4/2022 at 6:50 PM, Nong Khai Man said:

Bottom line, if you don't have the funds (to cover your medical/emergency bills), you shouldn't be here......How Bloody Cheeky of YOU,Who do YOU Think YOU Are ??

Probably somebody who doesn't want to pay your bills too (like me)

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:48 AM, Jonathan Swift said:

Yeah, comments sections are populated by such shallow and despicable people. They take pleasure in judging, it makes them feel superior, though they clearly are anything but. Like their counterparts in America whom I sought to escape from when I moved here. 

How much did you donate?

• Haha 1

The problem here is that you basically have 2 options:

1. A private hospital, that will give you good care, but over-bill you until you are broke or your insurance says stop.

2. A government hospital with horrible facilities and care. You are as good as dead, if you are seriously ill and end up in one.

Add to that is the difficulty of getting an affordable insurance once you reach a certain age.

Unless you have a bucket load of money Thailand is a crappy place to get old and sick.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Not true. Unlike maybe private government hospitals do not delve into your financial affairs. They will not stop treatment. Have they stopped treatment on the guy in this thread? He has no money.

Difference maybe between care and treatment. The guy who came off his moto received A/E treatment, thus saving his life and stabilising him. Then they requested payment for treatment performed up-to-date and 1.5 million baht for necessary brain surgery moving forward. The guy had no savings and no motor insurance, health plan or 'one-off' accident cover. The Government hospital didn't discontinue care but understandably wouldn't perform the brain surgery without payment. The guy was kept clean and didn't suffer while he was unconscious and dying of his head injury.     

19 minutes ago, khunpa said:

1. A private hospital, that will give you good care, but over-bill you until you are broke or your insurance says stop.

2. A government hospital with horrible facilities and care. You are as good as dead, if you are seriously ill and end up in one.

Add to that is the difficulty of getting an affordable insurance once you reach a certain age.

Unless you have a bucket load of money Thailand is a crappy place to get old and sick.

Very true. In defence I would state, from my own experience in seeing what happened to friends and family members that I would believe a Thai doctors diagnosis if he said that illness/injuries are intractable i.e. nothing further can be done. Doctors in the U.K. consider age and consequently the return upon investment to be the deciding factor. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, khunpa said:

☹️  Not true. In many places the the surgeons work in both.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Do you expect people with no insurance to get a/c?

Statement of fact only. The ward with dying people had no airconditioning. But I would consider the comfort of the staff who had to work in there too? The guy had many options which could have avoided his predicament apart from taking out insurance including wearing a crash helmet, taking the bus or maybe walking. As it turned out he didn't suffer and didn't pay to the Thai National Health Service either. 

50 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Difference maybe between care and treatment. The guy who came off his moto received A/E treatment, thus saving his life and stabilising him. Then they requested payment for treatment performed up-to-date and 1.5 million baht for necessary brain surgery moving forward. The guy had no savings and no motor insurance, health plan or 'one-off' accident cover. The Government hospital didn't discontinue care but understandably wouldn't perform the brain surgery without payment. The guy was kept clean and didn't suffer while he was unconscious and dying of his head injury.     

Proof of your ridiculous story or it didn't happen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did you? What does it matter how much one donates.  If you can donate then you donate, it's not about I donated more then you now is it?

No, I don't because i don't see why i should pay for him or his family. Funny enough i can't see any of the people who claim to be so considered on the donation list. 

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Proof of your ridiculous story or it didn't happen.

The guy's best friend is no longer around. But how would you have got him to prove it? It would be interesting to ask at a Government hospital if they would be prepared to perform costly surgery on anyone not covered by Thai Government scheme entirely for free out of the goodness of their hearts? What would you really expect them to say?  

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, I don't because i don't see why i should pay for him or his family. Funny enough i can't see any of the people who claim to be so considered on the donation list. 

You mean concerned not considered but I get your drift...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A story like the one laid out would have made headline news without a doubt.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/kitchener-thailand-witmer-alex-jennifer-1.5390562

Yet stories abound about insurance denying coverage for such serious surgeries, in fact it was just not to long ago that the story I posted the link to occurred here.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

The quote is nothing what so ever to do with what I asked to be proven. Try again.

What you are asking for is similar to the complete life stories of what happened to the foreigners who are found dead and their cadavers clog up Thailands mortuaries. Nobody knows or cares. Nobody wants to claim their bodies and certainly don't want to pay for their funerals. Sad state of affairs but that's life (and death) for guys who choose to enjoy the cheap and sunny life abroad.  

49 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

What you are asking for is similar to the complete life stories of what happened to the foreigners who are found dead and their cadavers clog up Thailands mortuaries. Nobody knows or cares. Nobody wants to claim their bodies and certainly don't want to pay for their funerals. Sad state of affairs but that's life (and death) for guys who choose to enjoy the cheap and sunny life abroad.  

Total hogwash.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

How do you know they are not on the donation list? Try looking harder.

John is now on end of life care. His daughter is now in Thailand and can see her dad before he passes. Hopefully he knows she’s with him and has some comfort during his final times. So why don’t you and the other grumpy argumentative posters remove yourselves from the thread if you have nothing useful to add. Better still, hopefully the moderators will remove you grumps instead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:46 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Should be cashed up. 

Something fishy here. 

Another clueless statement from  a moron.... happens all too often. Did you see his age and the  teams he played for? At best  you are a 20 year old with no idea of the wages when this guy played pro at the level he did. Either that or you just post nonsense 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Funny how people get their panties twisted when they see a gofundme.  

I think they are a great idea. No I have never contributed to one, I probably never will. But if someone who has extra cash thinks its a good move to help someone out so be it.  Why would it bother someone so much when it has nothing at all to do with them.  They are not begging or bothering, they have a platform where people can see their plight. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, arick said:

French and Dutch are covered abroad! Rest his soul a friends father spent two months in Bangkok hospital 1 million a day 90% covered by France 

Wow! Well now, I'm British with French residency and French healthcare. Does that mean the French cover my health needs here. A link to the source of this statement would be really helpful.