The Thai roads are full of surprises - not all of them bad! Rooster returns to Bangkok from Loei

webfact

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Here is a list of the reactions your previous column elicited:

"grumpy" "picky" "offensive"  "obnoxious" "load of rubbish" "pathetic piece of prose" "sanctimonious twit" "delusions of grandeur" "insulting" "self-centered" "bore" "tosh" "boring" "Mr. Cock-a-doodle-doo" "sad" "long-winded" "disrespectful" "knob" "idiot" "dick" "a-hole" "cretin."

I would tend to agree that the final three or four monikers on the list crossed the line, but the rest strike me as legitimate reactions to what you wrote. If I am mistaken about this, and any general non-abusive negative reactions to your column are resented and may result in retaliation, I think readers of your column deserve to have this clarified.

For the record....

You weren't pilloried for "expressing a preference for Bangkok." You were lambasted for making ridiculous generalizations not only about all of Thailand outside of Bangkok and any expats who live there, but, most egregiously of all, making fun of the Thai people who live there. I found your comments about eating chicken feet and sneering about the possible unavailability of a microwave during your visit particularly offensive as it belittled the humble diet and lifestyle of rural Thais, who, may I remind you, are the life blood and soul of the Kingdom, and where probably 75% of the people in your beloved Bangkok originated from.

Resentment was also voiced over your attempt to turn a legitimate debate over the usage of the word "electrocute" into an opportunity to unfairly belittle the literacy of forum members. FYI, here's a list of on-line dictionary references which restrict "electrocute" usage to "causing death":

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/electrocute

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/electrocute

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/electrocute

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=electrocute

https://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/electrocute.html

Your comments about the lack of cultural diversity during the Queen's funeral (one of the few comments in last week's column which I applauded), the critiques of the hymns selected for the funeral services, as well as your call for the Monarchy to be abolished were also viewed by many readers as inappropriate, especially coming so soon after the Queen's death.

I would also like to take a moment to mention to you that the 300K that your sister-in-law has yet to repay, that under Thai law, the past debts of one spouse are not the legal responsibility of the new spouse or boyfriend, and I think trying to pressure the sister-in-law's new American boyfriend into repaying the loan is rather tacky and gauche. Just a word to the wise from Miss Manners.

My advice to the Rooster is to tone down the antagonistic running feud you seem to have developed with your readership. Frankly, the only reason I tuned in this week was to see how you would respond to last week's deluge of criticism. Silly me, I was half expecting contrition, certainly not thinly veiled threats about being suspended or banned if future columns weren't dutifully appreciated.

One final question. In last week's column, you mentioned that you were heading to the family homestead in Loei just as Typhoon Noru was heading towards northern Thailand. You didn't mention it in this week's column, but I saw on the news that Loei experienced some pretty heavy flooding. Maybe you managed to dodge a bullet, but I wanted to ask if you managed to stay dry?

bad-hair-day-for-a-frizzled-tolbunt-polish-hen-picture-id948049936.jpg.f70c8d794d6215667240b1b138fdb11b.jpg

'continued my policy of not wearing my moderator's hat but your names have been noted.'

Typical Southern Softie!!!

Looking like it's time for me to renew my passport and head back over after a 5 year break from the place. Things went downhill badly following the Coup and death of the old King as it became increasingly difficult to stay in the country for any longer than 60 days.

Had thought I'd never venture back again and looked at Malaysia and Indonesia as easier visa friendly options. However recent events have given me hope that perhaps not all is lost!

Thanks for writing a much better column than last episodes lackluster effort.

6 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Thanks for another news update Rooster. I am just happy to be living in a country that is not at war.

You still need to be vaxxed to get into the USA, unless you want to quarantine on arrival.  Canada finally dropped 

that requirement on Oct 1st.  I am glad to see a more relaxed soft drug situation in Thailand. Tourists still have to make sure that their suitcases 

and travel on bags are drug free when they head back home in most cases. I hope that Bangkok does not have too many more floods before

the end of wet season. The last time I went north in Thailand, I flew from Bangkok to the NE, and spent a few days in Nong Khai

looking for an old Canadian friend. It was a friendly place and people were friendly, plus food was great.

Those pot holes in the one picture reminds me of a road to the west of Udon Thani. Thanks for the memories.

That was a horrible event in NE Thailand and I feel sorry for all the parents who lost their tiny children to the ex RTP member.

I just hope that we will see an end to the war in Ukraine, without it becoming nuclear.  As boring to the rest of us, this

invasion of Ukraine from Russia is, I do hope the war will end soon.

Maybe boring to you but to me it's a situation where a country making economic and democratic progress has been violently invaded by a dangerous thug, causing much death and destruction. Ukraine didn't ask for this invasion. Have some respect. 

There's also the point that Putin wants to return to the old USSR set up and has no hesitation to use severe violence. If he wins Ukraine there's several more old USSR 'countries' who will be next and have little power/resources to fight back. A domino effect, and where does it end?

Boring, so I guess you don't care. Perhaps worth thinking ahead.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The Rooster is NOT American, he's as English as a Cumberland sausage.

And please explain how a healthy individual going around mask free is putting 'others at risk'.

I'm up right there with you Rooster, get rid of those damn masks NOW!

So now know all rooster is a medical expert and epidemiology expert, really? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, roo860 said:

'continued my policy of not wearing my moderator's hat but your names have been noted.'

Typical Southern Softie!!!

Our names have been noted for what?

If a moderator writes an opinion piece he has to accept that readers 

can have views that maybe negative.

To me this sounded as a threat without justification.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 8:41 PM, HappyinNE said:

A vacation suggestion is a game and bird watching Safari in Tanzania.  Went for the second time 10 years ago and looking at going back.  Been to a lot of places on six continents (missed Australia) and this is the best.   

I would suggest Kakadu National Park in Australia, the birdlife there is astounding. Don't go for a swim, though. The crocs are hungry.

I can still remember seeing a brown hill entering there. As we got closer, the entire hill moved and took flight, leaving a green hill behind.

2 hours ago, sambum said:
On 10/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 10/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Recreational smoking of the stuff has not been legalised.

You are becoming/are a bit of a troll Lou!

You're suggesting that my comment was inaccurate and that recreational smoking of weed is now legal?   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 10/9/2022 at 7:05 AM, Gecko123 said:

Here is a list of the negative reactions your previous column elicited:

"grumpy" "picky" "offensive"  "obnoxious" "load of rubbish" "pathetic piece of prose" "sanctimonious twit" "delusions of grandeur" "insulting" "self-centered" "bore" "tosh" "boring" "Mr. Cock-a-doodle-doo" "sad" "long-winded" "disrespectful" "knob" "idiot" "dick" "a-hole" "cretin."

I would tend to agree that the final three or four names on the list crossed the line, but the rest strike me as legitimate reactions to what you wrote. If I am mistaken about this, and general non-abusive negative reactions to your column are resented and may result in retaliation, I think readers of your column deserve to have this clarified.

For the record....

You weren't pilloried for "expressing a preference for Bangkok." You were lambasted for making ridiculous generalizations not only about all of Thailand outside of Bangkok and any expats who live there, but, most egregiously of all, making fun of the Thai people who live there. I found your comments about eating chicken feet, sneering about the possible unavailability of a microwave during your visit, and the photo of food being prepared on the floor (seemingly presented as evidence of poor hygiene and primitive food preparation standards) particularly offensive as it belittled the humble diet and lifestyle of rural Thais, who, may I remind you, are the life blood and soul of the Kingdom, and where probably 75% of the people in your beloved Bangkok originated from.

Resentment was also voiced over your attempt to turn a legitimate debate over the usage of the word "electrocute" into an opportunity to unfairly belittle the literacy of forum members. FYI, here's a list of on-line dictionary references which restrict electrocute's usage to "causing death":

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/electrocute

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/electrocute

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/electrocute

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=electrocute

https://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/electrocute.html

Your comments about the lack of cultural diversity during the Queen's funeral (one of the few comments in last week's column which I applauded), the critiques of the hymns selected for the funeral services, as well as your call for the Monarchy to be abolished were also viewed by many readers as inappropriate, especially coming so soon after the Queen's death.

I would also like to take a moment to mention to you that the 300K that your sister-in-law has yet to repay, that under Thai law, the past debts of one spouse are not the legal responsibility of the new spouse or boyfriend, and I think trying to pressure the sister-in-law's new American boyfriend into repaying the loan is rather tacky and gauche. Just a word to the wise from Miss Manners.

My advice to the Rooster is to tone down the antagonistic running feud you seem to have developed with your readership. Frankly, the only reason I tuned in this week was to see how you would respond to last week's deluge of criticism. Silly me, I was half expecting contrition, certainly not thinly veiled threats about being suspended or banned if future columns weren't dutifully appreciated.

One final question. In last week's column, you mentioned that you were heading to the family homestead in Loei just as Typhoon Noru was heading towards northern Thailand. You didn't mention it in this week's column, but I saw on the news that Loei experienced some pretty heavy flooding. Maybe you managed to dodge a bullet, but I wanted to ask if you managed to stay dry?

bad-hair-day-for-a-frizzled-tolbunt-polish-hen-picture-id948049936.jpg.f70c8d794d6215667240b1b138fdb11b.jpg

Hey! You can't offend a bludger.

• 2 weeks later...

It is assumed that reckless driving like the racing referred to above is a major cause of deaths on Thai roads - they are not.

Statistically you are less likely to die in a 4-wheeled pickup in Thailand than you are in the USA.

The fact is that reckless driving like that occurs every where even in countries like the UK -there are countless videos of this sort of stuff all over the world.

What Thailand lacks is a road system that protects road users , both from others and themselves. 

No one ? Well few People in Ayutthaya Province. or Angtong, as far as I can see, has ditched their Mask wearing, ... and if you do not wear it, You WILL be told I am sure Especially if you are a foreigner Right ? I think ??? 

I do not mind it, as it IS a health + and there are a LOT more tropical Virus things around as well as the remnants of the Good Old China Virus. ... (And my Sock Broker in Singapore got it !!! and was quite Sick !!! ... The BB Strain ??? I guess ... So it still has NO social barriers either.)

Though yes, here in some restraints the People who work there, and would have to wear their masks all day ... often do not, ... but all of us Walk in for a while patrons, still do ... or get told. ... But as Trink would say "I do not really give a Hoot" ... Like I have Far, FAR more Important things to think about !!!!

No one ? Well few People in Ayutthaya Province. or Angtong, as far as I can see, has ditched their Mask wearing, ... and if you do not wear it, You WILL be told I am sure Especially if you are a foreigner Right ? I think ??? 

I do not mind it, as it IS a health + and there are a LOT more tropical Virus things around as well as the remnants of the Good Old China Virus. ... (And my Sock Broker in Singapore got it !!! and was quite Sick !!! ... The BB Strain ??? I guess ... So it still has NO social barriers either.)

Though yes, here in some restraints the People who work there, and would have to wear their masks all day ... often do not, ... but all of us Walk in for a while patrons, still do ... or get told. ... But as Trink would say "I do not really give a Hoot" ... Like I have Far, FAR more Important things to think about !!!!

Well, just a God Send !!! And Blessing to Legalize Dope, .... AND get all of those Poor Pretty well Innocents young People out of prison also !!! ... and I have a couple of 200 B's of that "Block Weed" as they locally call it apparently ??? .... But well after a Month !!!... I CAN tell you I think !!! If you smoke it every day !!! ... and possibly in association with Alcohol Also ???? ... It WILLL DO your head In ! I AM sure !!! ... Having had that happen here also !!! ... So well I have stopped smoking it now, like a good high, but it just tapers off, into the Good Thoughts through the night, and a good feeling !!! ... BUT you ARE pretty well ??? VERY tired in the mourning, and I find it hard to get any motivation the next Day, ... To not being able to stay positive for quite a few days after that. ... Still ? That is Just Extreme ..."Mark mark" ... me Right ???  ... (Like this happened to me with Dope all of my Life with increased paranoia. ...) ... But well, I have now stopped smoking it again now also ...

And well yes Got my In box Down to this Long Lost Rooster goes Up country ... and it is ALL positive as usual Rooster story. And yes, Thanks for that again !!! AS usual.

Yes the Flood water was with us for at least 2 weeks, and our Car was exiled to Higher ground, with all of the rest of them, ...  Like it WAS a very concerning 2 Weeks !!! ... With a large Rise, ... and then just a steady 2 Inch rise per day after that ... But the Thais and their Flood water, and Weather Prediction people, got it right this time ... All the woman said that the House would be OK, well ours at least, as it was a bit higher ... and the Flood WOULD go down again, not long after it stopped Raining... And it did ... about a couple of feet short of our house.... Like another Real God Send !!! ...

I did the 2011 Floods where some idiot blew up an important Weir, up stream !!! and it rose 1.5 M in about 2 Hours !!! and just took, EVERT THING out in our house, as the Missus just gave up trying to get the boards in to our door ways. ... (Which only works up to about 0.2 m deep, as then the Hydrostatic pressure starts pushing the floor up) ....

And the house ended up flooded nearly up to the Door tops ... Like up to your keck when you walked around in there ... Like the Missus was just paddling the boat in the door, to pick stuff up !!!... and well parking it there ... In the flooded lounge room !!!  ... and I ended up on My Daughters Balcony for 2 Months !!!  ... With 2 to 3 m Deep water for at least 200k all round us, in every direction, (All banked up behind the BKK 11 to 15 m high Flood Prevention walls ???  !!! ) Yes a Monk came past in his Canoe and said a prayer for me and gave me some flood supply Rations !!! ... and the woman met the Army trucks delivering other rations most days, and then divvied them up between every one in the village ... Like it kept them Busy !!! ... and Positive !!! right. (GBT ... God Bless Thailand) ... and we ended up with 6 months sulie of instant Noodles and water at lest !!! Right ??? Nealy filled up the Living room in the Daughters House !!! ... GBT. ... 

So well this year I WAS Scared again, as well I AM just to old to deal with this <deleted> again !!!  ... Though well the Advantage of having an Older Wife !!! ... She can Paddle a Canoe !!! and in a straight line also Right !!! ... and she knows the river and all of the short cuts also !!! ... (and she picks up quite a bit of pretty good furniture out of the flooded River also !!!)

But well, ... And no street lights up on the highway, where every one ended up !!! ... But that is another story !!! right ... which did cause a bit of Moratoria trouble !!! ... (Between the have ? and Have Nots lets say ???) ...

... and then getting the people off of the highway after it became clear again !!! ... and back to their still flooded Houses ? as the 100km an Hour racers tried to get back on on to it, and up to speed !!! Just dodging the tents, the People and their dogs !!! ...

So well this Years good outcome !!! WAS a REAL God sent !!! I Can tell you !!!