what bike part is this? is this a legit problem?

BananaBandit

I don't know how to describe it, in any language.

i've included a picture below.  two red shapes added to show people where the issue begins and ends. 

two people near my village who fix bikes have pointed to it and seem to feel it's a problem. 

one of the two even seemed to say it was dangerous to add air to the tire when it's like this, as if the tire could blow up or something.    

is this true?      (i wonder if something got lost in translation)  

do i need to buy a whole new wheel over something like this?

bicycle tire 1.jpg

Looks like the rim has some minor damage, did you hit a kerb or something?

Doesn't look too bad, IMHO not bad enough for the bead to pop out. A decent wheel chap should be able to tap that straight, if not he could replace the rim.

It could prove cheaper to buy a complete wheel.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not exactly sure what the issue is here....

Is the rim slightly too small for the tyre ?

Or has the rim bent out so the bead of the tyre doesn’t lock in place when there is pressure in the tyre ?

I honestly don't know for sure. I'm pretty useless at this stuff.  The only thing I can say with confidence is that two Thai guys who fix bikes seemed to have a reaction to it.

If I had to guess, I would say the rim bent.  The bike has suffered considerable trauma.

Are any of the spokes in that area slightly looser than the others ?

if they are, replace the rim as it will never go back. 

if not, probably flared rim from hitting a surface hard and/or with low tire pressure.

you can try to have it pressed back true, but i would just replace the rim as i is never quite right and the tire/tube will not seat right. Cold working the metal also weakens it. Tube can get pinched under tyre rim bead and leak out quickly.

14 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

i just checked.  the spokes feel pretty consistent throughout the wheel.

Lift the wheel up and "plink" each spoke with a screwdriver.  They should all play the same note.

I assume you don't have a truing stand.  Raise the rear end by running a broomhandle through the rear triangle, suspended on a couple of chairs.  Having the front wheel in a corner of the room will help stabilize.

Have a seat behind the bike, hold a straw or chopstick on one seatstay so that there is about 1/2-mm gap between the stick/straw and the side of the rim near the tire bead.  Spin the wheel slowly, listen for the rim rubbing against the straw, watch for the gap getting wider.  You also want to note whether the edge of the rim is at a constant height or has low or high spots as you rotate.

Do this on both sides.

I recently had a rim replaced because corrosion had eaten away a portion about 3cm long leaving a jagged edge. The shop in Chiang mai initially offered a new wheel @ 950 Baht, then discovered they did not have the size in stock. They replaced the rim and spokes for 1100 Baht . I took it in @ 10am and got it back @ 5pm the next day.

It's almost impossible to over inflate inner tubes and rim damage won't affect them unless its severe. I don't know who you sent your bike to but I would suggest you take it to someone else. I'm quite sure that's nothing more than an over reaction you've experienced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard to say as per your photo which does not show clearly but...

This is a rim brake/cantilever brake wheel

They do eventually wear too thin where the brake pads rub to stop bike

Could be what they are telling you is it has worn too far already & does look like it created a ridge above brake pads

(again hard to tell from pic)

If that is the case then that is why they are telling you change & possibly bad to inflate

as that is where the hook occurs that holds clincher tire on

Only real way to tell is take tire off & inspect rim thickness in that area

Edited by mania
  • Like 1