If denied entry at DMK, can I use my pre-booked flight to exit?

So I stayed 2.5 years on covid exensions until 21 sept, im now in cambodia and the cheapest way for me to get to Vietnam is via DMK!

Anyway, its 2 separate flights, with air asia.

Cambodia > DMK 

Then 3 hours later, DMK > Vietnam

I suspect I'll be denied entry into Thailand because of my recent long stay on covid extensions. But, as I have a pre-booked flight out of Thailand, if denied, will be able to board my pre-booked flight, or is there some automatic process where I'd be returned to Cambodia?

Cheers

Edited by Adam219

I doubt very much you will be denied entry since you have been out of the country for some time now. Showing you have a onward flight already to the officer would insure you would not be denied entry.

Are you sure you will have to go through Thai immigration. You should be able transfer to your connecting flight to Vietnam.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt very much you will be denied entry since you have been out of the country for some time now.

at that point (21st oct), it'll be 30 days, not that long?

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure you will have to go through Thai immigration. You should be able transfer to your connecting flight to Vietnam.

it's not a connecting flight, it's two separate flights, but with the same airline. So I'll need to check-in with air asia again in DMK. (no checked luggage, though).

11 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

it's not a connecting flight, it's two separate flights, but with the same airline. So I'll need to check-in with air asia again in DMK. (no checked luggage, though).

Same airport, same airline, I don't see any reason why you would need to go through immigration. Air Asia will probably give you your boarding passes for both flights when you check in at the Cambodian airport unless you have a super long layover at DMK. By some rare chance that you do need to go through immigration, with an onward ticket, you staying 2.5 years on covid extensions has no relevance. 

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 1

If you don't have checked baggage, you can try to get a boarding pass for your flight to Vietnam at Air Asia's airside international transfer desk at DMK. It might or might not be possible, having two separate tickets, but it's worth a shot. If successful, you'd avoid Thai immigration altogether. 

I don't think they'd deny entry in your case. If there's any sign of trouble or if they start questioning you, show them your ticket out. They usually start with a question to establish the intended duration of your stay anyway.

Please report back how it went once you're through. 

Edited by Caldera

I'm not up to date, but years ago Air Asia was strictly a point-to-point airline. I once went from Bangkok to Bali via Kuala Lumpur and had to go through Immigration at Kuala Lumpur to check in for the second flight. Don't know if it's still like that or not.

You have already been given the most important information.

Just to answer your specific question (though it is a bit academic) ...

If you were denied entry, it would become Air Asia's responsibility to remove you from Thailand. Since you already have a booked ticket on the same airline, I cannot imagine the airline supervisor wanting to go to the trouble of getting you on a different flight, assuming you would only be staying a few hours at DMK.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:01 PM, Adam219 said:

Anyway, its 2 separate flights, with air asia.

You mean two separate tickets, each with a unique booking number? I think that the AirAsia intl-intl flight connection service, AKA:Fly-Thru, requires both segments be issued under one, single booking number...

7. I have already booked 2 different flights and noticed that I can opt for FLY-THRU service with a promotional fare. Can I convert my bookings?
No. This service is only available when flights are purchased under one booking number.

https://support.airasia.com/s/article/Does-AirAsia-provide-stop-over-en?language=en_GB

So I'm not certain you'll be able to remain in the international transfer area? Maybe look for an FD rep on exiting the the first flight and ask them about your options?

I based my opinion on three+ year old information, pre-COVID. Things may be different now.

If you are forced to arriving immigration, and are denied entry, I'm not sure 3 hours will be enough to "negotiate" your way onto the DMK-SGN/HAN flight? I assume you have the proper visa for Vietnam.

You could reissue the ticket under one booking and thus qualify for Fly-Thru, but this will require you to pay additional money. Maybe arrive a bit early at PNH and ask FD about some options?

Is there a reason you purchased two separate tickets?

19 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Is there a reason you purchased two separate tickets?

I purchased through traveloka, and there it states that it is two separate tickets. I'll find out if that is truly the case when I go to check-in with air asia tomorrow, as it is 1 ticket if I had booked with them (but $30 more).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 12:18 PM, Adam219 said:

Check in online

28 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:
1 hour ago, Adam219 said:

no visa exmpt for him?

correct, Indian passport holders aren't eligible for visa exempt entry. they must use the Visa on Arrival option.

Yes, but the Indian pax was in transit on the same ticketing structure as the OP, ie. no intention of entering Thailand. The OP was allowed to transit airside, the Indian was "forced" to go through immigration?

I don't think AirAsia interline checked baggage on all their routes so maybe the Indian pax did have to recheck his baggage? That's the only reason I can see him being required to enter and exit Thailand.

Jobsworths.

Edited by NanLaew

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, but the Indian pax was in transit on the same ticketing structure as the OP, ie. no intention of entering Thailand. The OP was allowed to transit airside, the Indian was forced to go through immigration.

I don't think AirAsia interline checked baggage on all their routes so maybe the Indian pax did have to recheck his baggage? That's the only reason I can see him being required to enter and exit Thailand.

Jobsworths.

Indians seem to get a bad rap in Thailand so maybe that had something to do with the decision to force them to go through immigration?

I had to do that in Singapore a few years ago when flying from Snooky to Jakarta with carry-on only. I knew in advance that this would be required but it was still rather annoying being faced with the reality. Fortunately SIN immigration are very efficient.