Best visa/border run from Bangkok in your opinion?

Hi!

I need to start planning on a visa run for next month, and I'll be departing from Bangkok. Which options do you guys think are the best as of right now? Trying to find a nice balance between time and money spent. If I understand correctly they give you 45 days now compared to 30 before right?

Thank you in advance!

4 minutes ago, mareo said:

I need to start planning on a visa run for next month

Think you mean border bounce for visa exempt entry. Yes 45 day stamp given. 

From Bangkok one option would be flight to Udon Thani and one hour mini van to Nong Khai. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you mean border bounce for visa exempt entry. Yes 45 day stamp given. 

From Bangkok one option would be flight to Udon Thani and one hour mini van to Nong Khai. 

Cheers, yes I don't know the difference between border bounce and visa run. Is that option a same day thing? or would you have to stay in Laos for a night?

Don Mueang->Roi Et flight of Air Asia 6:45AM. 1000 baht
Roi Et bus station -> Mukdahan bus station trip by bus (2.5 hours). 170 baht
Mukdahan bus station -> Savannakhet bus station by bus (40 minutes, crossing the Thai-Lao border, buses arrive every hour). 60 baht + tips for the Lao imm stuff(100 baht)
Drink a cup of coffee at Macchiato de coffee (hotel/restaurant) in front of the Thai consulate near the bus station. 80 baht
Savannakhet bus station -> Mukdahan bus station (40 minutes, crossing the Thai-Lao border). 60 baht
Roi Et bus station -> Mukdahan bus station trip by bus (2.5 hours). 170 baht + tips for the Lao imm stuff(100 baht)
Mukdahan bus station -> Roi Et bus station trip by bus (2.5 hours). 170 baht
Roi Et -> Don Mueang flight of Air Asia 6:25PM (don't forget to web_check-in+print_boarding_pass - this will save your time and money), 1000 baht

• Thanks 1

Cheapest border bounce from Bangkok at the current time is via Cambodia. There are companies that do trips to the border daily by van, which is convenient, slightly uncomfortable, and a bit more expensive than doing the trip yourself on public transport.

One option, if doing it yourself by public transport is Ban Pakard (Phsa Prum on the Cambodian side).

Take the first bus in the morning to Chanthaburi (about four hours and 200 baht or so), then local van or songtaew to the border . The van costs about 80 baht, as I recall; the songtaew is a bit cheaper. Either way, there may be a fairly long wait, and the trip takes a bit under an hour. You must leave Bangkok early in the morning as public transport back from Ban Pakard becomes iffy late in the day.

Crossing the border, you must buy a Cambodian visa on arrival. Have US$ available to pay as otherwise you will be charged a lot more to pay in baht. You are likely to be asked for more anyway. My policy is to try to resist the request for extra money, being sure to do this in a polite and friendly way, but some find it less hassle just to pay up. The official visa price is US$30.

By law, you are supposed to stay one night in Cambodia but, in practice, you can go straight back to Thailand. However, Cambodia immigration will likely want a monetary inducement to let you go. If asked, see if they will accept 200 baht, and (in a polite and friendly manner) resist a request for any more than 300 baht.

Arriving back on the Thai side, ask around to see if there is a van going to Pattaya. If not, retrace your steps back to Bangkok via Chanthaburi.

There will probably be agents on the Thai side wanting to handle everything for you, including the visa and same day return, for a premium (often almost double). This is less hassle. It is up to you.

The cost (best case) would be

• about 400 baht Bangkok <-> Chathaburi
  • about 150 baht Chanthaburi <-> Ban Pakard
  • US$30 for the Cambodian visa on arrival
  • about 200 baht for same day return (possibly avoidable)

You might be faced with some unavoidable extra costs if things do not go smoothly.

It is a long, tiring day to do it this way, and would not be everyone's choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcalaska said:

How many days do you get returning to Thailand at a land border crossing with visa exempt? I hear many different numbers of days. 15,30, etc. Flying in is different, Thai will give you 45 days under visa exempt.

At his time you would get a 45 day visa exempt entry. Normal s 30 days. The 15 day entries at land borders went away several years ago when they started allowing 30 days again and limiting them to 2 per calendar year.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, visabouncer said:

Don Mueang->Roi Et flight of Air Asia 6:45AM. 1000 baht
Roi Et bus station -> Mukdahan bus station trip by bus (2.5 hours). 170 baht

Note that you can also fly to Ubon, then bus to Mukdahan, and the reverse.

On 10/11/2022 at 2:56 PM, ubonjoe said:

Bangkok to a crossing to Cambodia would be ok but not at the Aran Poipet crossing. 

There are companies doing runs to to Ban Laem.

This company has a good reputation. https://www.thaivisaservice.com/

Any reason you don't recommend Aran Poipet crossing?

I was thinking about crossing there next week . . . 

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

If your immigration history is even remotely questionable (e.g. more than 90 days in Thailand as a tourist in the last six months, or otherwise a history of long stays) do not risk it. This is the only land crossing where you can end up in a world of hurt. They will stamp your passport with a denied entry stamp, and a written comment. They will then tell you you must return to Thailand by air. If you follow this advice, airport immigration will then likely proceed to deny you entry again. Immigration at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports and the Aran crossing seem to have close connections with each other and gang up on those they think have overstayed their welcome in Thailand.

This does not apply, it seems, if you have a multiple entry Non O visa (at least from what I recall). Just do not use this crossing as a long stay tourist.

Thanks.   What way do you recommend crossing into Cambodia?    I'm in Bangkok.  

10 hours ago, visabouncer said:

Roi Et is closer to Mukdahan. What are the benefits of Ubon?

There is only 20 km difference. There may be more flights to Ubon and I think there are more buses and vans to Mukdahan.

10 hours ago, visabouncer said:

Is it easy to cross the border from this place? Are there any hourly buses to Laos and back? If you have any information it would be helpful.

You would travel within Thailand to the bridge to Savannakhet. From the airport it is 116 km to the bridge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Thanks.   What way do you recommend crossing into Cambodia?    I'm in Bangkok.  

You could just use an organised "visa run". Otherwise, would you be driving yourself, or planning to use public transport? DIY on public transport is possible, but means a long, tiring day. Ask if you want details.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, visabouncer said:

So crossing the third Thai-lao friendship bridge near Nakhon Phanom (5 km to the North) is not an option, right?

It is a option but transport from the other side of the bridge to Savannakhet might be difficult to find.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a option but transport from the other side of the bridge to Savannakhet might be difficult to find.

If the Nakhon Phanom border crossing is easy to use, we can just return to Nakhon Phanom airport from the other side of the bridge. Looks like the best option for a visa run from Bangkok:
1. 8:00AM Don Mueang -> Nakhon Phanom (Nok air flight)
2. Taxi from the airport to the border. (or, alternatively, one can use public transportation to save money).
3. Crossing the border and back
4. Taxi from the border to the airport.
5. 7:25PM Nakhon Phanom -> Don Mueang (AirAsia flight)

And the total price of the trip is very cheap 2500-3000baht including taxi and public transportation expenses.

Edited by visabouncer