PayPal re-registration now requires Thai national ID card

On 10/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, Caldera said:

I don't buy any of that, they're just incompetent. DeeMoney is currently relaunching as "DeeMoney Neo" and - surprise-surprise! - while they do require foreigners to provide an additional Thai ID document, they don't require foreigners to use NDID. And that's just the most recent example, I've been using anything from Line Pay to TrueMoney.

I also wouldn't underestimate the potential for local FIs to lobby the regulatory authorities (BOT / MOF) to craft legislation that works to their advantage and to the detriment of foreign companies like PayPal.

I got the same message and have since closed my account with PayPal.  I do not like the way this service is now heading and do not trust them in keeping my data private. There are plenty other ways for me to pay for my purchases.

Edited by bob89110
Add some new ideas

As  a NonThai one can't get the NDID  cos one hasn't got the 13 digit Id card / Number. 

They send me an E mail a few times about that, I told them  Easy I won't use Pay Pal I sometimes used it for Payments online ,Other payments are available like Passwords and pin numbers with debit cards  on a few Platforms .

Pay Pal They said sorry that we can't help you .

No probs Pay Pal I can do without you.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

My guess is that the Thai government is forcing this, perhaps indirectly. I can't imagine Paypal coming up with something like this on their own.

It is probably being done to force the informal economy to use banks for payment processing since the government already can closely monitor banking transactions. Perhaps current laws aren't sufficient to allow regulators or other government departments to monitor transactions that don't involve a Thai bank. Putting a bank in the loop may give such oversight.

Could also be outsourcing KYC to entities with more resources and credibility with the government.

Use Payoneer, is better, no bull<deleted>e involved

On 10/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, phetphet said:

That's why I wrote "supposed to be".

Same the BTS Rabbit Cards requiring passport ID to prevent money laundering. How much can you launder through that?

It's all information gathering.

The max any one Rabbit card can have stored on it is B4,000

While B4,000 is a small number relatively speaking, since there is no limit to the number of cards any one person can have or acquire, it could be one avenue used for illicit money movement… granted, for the big players - they’d probably not want to go this route, but perhaps for lower values, it could be… 

To me, a B4,000 cap seems to be appropriate given the most expensive trip is around B60 (adult fare) one-way or B120 on a RT basis, and if traveled daily for 30 days, you’re now at B3,600.. so capping it at B4,000 seems reasonable in that light. 

On 10/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, monkfish said:

Money laundering is always used as an excuse.
So are only foreigners laundering money?

May be TH falls in line with apparently EU new anti money laundering rules.

We have a credit card issued in EU. After 20 yrs they require new ID proof, proof of residence in TH for the partner card. Deadline was within 10 days. I didn't respond. See what will happen. We will let the 2nd card go. Gets hardly used.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Letseng said:

We have a credit card issued in EU. After 20 yrs they require new ID proof, proof of residence in TH for the partner card. Deadline was within 10 days. I didn't respond. See what will happen. We will let the 2nd card go. Gets hardly used.

Thailand has some of the toughest laws concerning money laundering puts even EU regulations to shame makes it very difficult to send any funds out of the country. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

This week I have had confirmation that to conform to Thai law, PayPal can only accept Thai citizens and in what will be known as "PayPal Thailand" and my account of ten years will cease to exist from the end of November. The only transaction that will work is withdrawing any cash surplus actually in the PayPal account and if not done by 15 December, I will lose it.

I have had my PayPal account linked to my bank for 4 years and the system allows to offer a payment through PayPal itself or default the payment to my debit card. In some cases, I have had some money in PayPal but wasn't enough to cover the payment but no problem, as they used all that was available from that and the remainder from my bank. 

I am disappointed about my account being lost but this is Thailand's doing, not PayPal.

Sorry I disagree Paypal has a choice about how they confirm customer identification in Thailand and they have chosen and by not force to use the NDID system which is a private company not government. There are alternatives like manually confirming ID's but that's probably just to much work for them.

Edited by monkfish

11 hours ago, new2here said:

While B4,000 is a small number relatively speaking, since there is no limit to the number of cards any one person can have or acquire, it could be one avenue used for illicit money movement… granted, for the big players - they’d probably not want to go this route, but perhaps for lower values, it could be… 

To me, a B4,000 cap seems to be appropriate given the most expensive trip is around B60 (adult fare) one-way or B120 on a RT basis, and if traveled daily for 30 days, you’re now at B3,600.. so capping it at B4,000 seems reasonable in that light. 

I was wrong in I thinking the limit was THB 1,000. But don't forget that the card is now accepted in many Food Courts for payment.

Seeing as one needs ID to apply for a card, it would be on record somewhere if someone went to all the trouble apply for multiple cards.

Also if you look at the Rabbit Terms and Conditions, (they no longer appear to be available on the  internet), they are quite Big Brotheresque in how applicants agree to be tracked. I did post them on this site once, but they were removed by a Mod. for whatever reason.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, monkfish said:

You are right there are alternatives but for anyone doing online biz Digital and Namods Paypal is still the most accepted and trusted form of payment in the WoRLD. And so quiet important to some people. MAYBE not you though I suspect?

whatever that is, im not sure, but i know very few folks who work online who still use paypal.

20 hours ago, new2here said:

haha, money laundering using rabbit cards... yea, right. in the uk no one bats an eyelid for amounts under 10K GDP

I only use paypal for ebay purchases of small ticket hobby items and as of this morning my account is no longer accessible. 
Once again the Thai authorities pluck the low hanging fruit, foreigners, as it requires the least actual effort.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, it is what it is said:

haha, money laundering using rabbit cards... yea, right. in the uk no one bats an eyelid for amounts under 10K GDP

I think that’s more reflective of the “scale” of the economy than anything else..  Similar to the differences in terms of how the currency is denominated.. Thailand’s maximum bank note for general use being B1000 while the UK is GBP 50… which at current forex rates is a touch more than double that if the B1000 note… and the US’ $100 representing more than 3.5x that of the B1000

so i think when you say no one bars and eye, is quite true, but is rooted in the difference of economy of scale. 

On 10/15/2022 at 9:06 PM, Letseng said:

I know some guys with Thai wives who would be delghted to have an excuse to let the partner card go.

Edited by Dogmatix

3 hours ago, Can samui said:

I only use paypal for ebay purchases of small ticket hobby items and as of this morning my account is no longer accessible. 
Once again the Thai authorities pluck the low hanging fruit, foreigners, as it requires the least actual effort.

this is a typical Thai thing, .... “cut off your nose to spite your face"

18 hours ago, Greenside said:

As I understood it, the Pink ID with its 13 digit number isn't sufficient to get registered with a digital ID, or did things change?

Correct, I have confirmed this multiple times with the bank and also the NTID provider.

Note, NTID also stands for  the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, fitting for those making such decisions.   The only reason I use Paypal is to sell off my old coins and antiques to help support my large Thai family.

As an alternative to PayPal I used to use Kasikorn's Online Shopping (debit) card linked to an account with a limited amount of funds for safety, but they discontinued it earlier this year promising its re-introduction in September but I never received any info about that.  Today I replaced my lost ATM card and found that they've given it the same functionality so I can use it for international purchases and recurring subscriptions.
Irritating that they sting you 300 baht for a new card, but I'm glad that PayPal and the NTID are no longer of concern.

On 10/16/2022 at 4:51 PM, n00dle said:

whatever that is, im not sure, but i know very few folks who work online who still use paypal.

Well if you are selling on line I can tell you PayPal is still the most popular payment method in the WORLD for selling internationally.
One example ETSY only payout through PayPal.
There are alternatives but not as easy or reliable as Paypal.
Noted PayPAl is not as good now as 5 years ago but it's still the best.
Can you please give alternative that are better if you know them??

On 10/15/2022 at 6:28 PM, 1sickpuppy said:

Use Payoneer, is better, no bull<deleted>e involved

Payoneer is a complete nightmare. When I had an issue with them, I found it was simply impossible to get through to a real person. The way their help system is set up, they force you to choose ever more specific sub categories of help until you have to choose one that they already have an answer for. If your specific issue is not listed, you cannot submit the help form without choosing one that is. Then they give you their stock answer to that issue and mark the case as closed. Now way I would ever deal with an organisation like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Payoneer is a complete nightmare. When I had an issue with them, I found it was simply impossible to get through to a real person. The way their help system is set up, they force you to choose ever more specific sub categories of help until you have to choose one that they already have an answer for. If your specific issue is not listed, you cannot submit the help form without choosing one that is. Then they give you their stock answer to that issue and mark the case as closed. Now way I would ever deal with an organisation like that.

Bingo, I had the same experience.

I tried fixing a small inconsistency during signup and you can't contact anyone.  If you have a problem during signup, the help menu only accepts 'signup' as a valid category, then immediately cancels the question by email telling you you are already signed up!  I think they're using an AI driven customer interface to save money, no humans.

You can try again using a new email address, all other info can be the same. They in fact tell you that. My second attempt worked fine.

Just remember to think dumb. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, monkfish said:

Maybe I'll share that info with you if you become less arrogant.
I'm guessing you are either German or American anyways.

Hahahahahaaa!!   I didn't really want that info, I was just hoping, and wasn't disappointed, that your response would confirm that you haven't actually lobbied anyone about PP!

"I'm guessing you are either German or American anyways".

You're wrong again...anyways.   

"Anyways"?

I'm guessing that you're not an American yet you use that awful American English, very odd.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:25 PM, thaiowl said:

Yes...very tedious. I use ebay now and again and pay via Paypal. Not any more.

For Ebay just use the same card that was linked to your PP account.   I made an eBay purchase last week and the seller stated that only PP was acceptable for payment.   I continued to the payment section and there is the option to use the same debit card as well as PP.   The non-PP payment was accepted with no issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, new2here said:

there is no limit to the number of cards any one person can have or acquire

Are you sure about that?   When you try to get an additional card you'll have to produce your passport and they will immediately know that you've already got a card.  Issuing a new card will defeat the object of the exercise.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, monkfish said:

I disagree Paypal has a choice about how they confirm customer identification in Thailand

What makes you so sure that PP has a choice?   Pose the question to PP reps and they'll tell you that it's the government that's making the regulations and PP has to abide by them.