Ready to give up on my Nissan Juke

DumbFalang

We have had a problem with our Juke for over a year now and the wife is pushing harder for us to sell it. Nissan Hang Dong (Chang Mai) have admitted they cannot isolate the cause, so I've been on my own searching various forums.

The main symptom is acceleration without the driver pressing the gas pedal. I live up in the mountains and it is much worse when not on flat ground. I barely notice it when I'm driving in the city.

My first attempt at a fix was replacing the throttle position sensor. It's job: " to tell the vehicle’s computer how far the throttle is open and how hard the accelerator is being pressed. The computer is then able to adjust the fuel/air mixture going to the engine so that is stays at an appropriate level. If the throttle position sensor is not working properly, it may be sending incorrect information to the vehicle’s computer. The computer may then not provide the engine with the correct amount of air while accelerating, causing a hesitation sensation."

I get the "hesitation sensation" too, so it was worth a shot at Bt7000. When it was installed, the problem didn't go away but it improved quite a lot. Over the next few weeks and months it has got a lot worse so now I'm at a loss whether or not to carry on throwing money at it or admit defeat and sell it on.

The Nissan tech has always hinted at the automatic transmission system as they are so bad on the Juke and our first one had to be replaced at around 50K. Maybe he's right - I just don't know what symptoms a failing CVT can show up.

Any of you guys know if the automatic system could cause the surging I am experiencing? Any suggestions on other things to try?

34 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is it ethical to sell a vehicle with a known fault that cannot be fixed?  ????

Who says it cannot be fixed?

I have a Sylphy with I believe the same engine and CVT gearbox as the Juke....done 110,000 kms in the past 4 years without any problems....changed the cvt fluid at 60,000 and 100,000 kms...still running sweet....have you ever had your CVT fluid changed?

• Like 1

MAF (mass air flow - it is in the intake track between the air filter and the intake manifold usually) sensor could also be bad.

The TPS sensor you replaced - was it a factory part or from some reseller on Lazada, etc ?

As has been said on other threads, a Pro level scanner with Live Data, go for a ride, and when the problem occurs you will see it.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have had the CVT fluid changed, but I will double check when it was done last.

The TPS sensor I replaced was a Nissan factory part.

I found out that when a mass airflow sensor begins to fail, it will typically generate an error code or “Check Engine light.” There is no Check Engine Light and no error code which makes me want to look into what ThailandRyan suggested:- Find out if the ECM can be flashed and reset.

Is ECM and EMU (mentioned by hansombeast) the same thing?

I'm somewhat familiar with these vehicles. You don't specify age/mileage etc but I think most Thai-market cars used the 1.6 Renault/Nissan H-series engine.

As you know, these cars use the Jatco CVT-7 gearbox. These CVT's are rather notorious (although newer units have been improved) and coupled with the 1.6 engine in hill country you are likely to have problems.

The throttle position sensor (TPS) along with the airflow meter (AFM) provides a feedforward signal to the ECU for enrichment on acceleration. It also provides fuel cut off on overrun etc.  I don't think it is the cause of your problems.  I have never encountered one of these vehicles that would accelerate on its own. I don't think its possible due to the way the electronic throttle is designed.

My suspicion is that you have CVT problems - probably the transmission is 'flaring' and you are hearing the engine's revs rise and interpreting this as a throttle input.

Once these transmissions start to fail its very much a 'death spiral'. Ideally replace with a new unit - repair is not always satisfactory.

If not economic then get rid of the car.

If you live in hilly country then a Toyota CVT would be preferable. They are about as good as it gets with CVT.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Once these transmissions start to fail its very much a 'death spiral'. Ideally replace with a new unit - repair is not always satisfactory.

If not economic then get rid of the car.

Oh dear - that's what Nissan and my wife have been saying all along. Thanks for confirming ????

In the bad old days you could have cleaned the spark plugs with some emery paper and a set of feeler gauges, checked the points and a squirt of WD 40 inside the distributor, blown through the carburettor with a tube and a good "puff", and Robert would be your father's brother!

Things are so much easier now !

4 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

In the bad old days you could have cleaned the spark plugs with some emery paper and a set of feeler gauges, checked the points and a squirt of WD 40 inside the distributor

I remember those days well. Rest assured, my next vehicle will have plugs, points and a distributor ????

14 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

I remember those days well. Rest assured, my next vehicle will have plugs, points and a distributor ????

Do away with the plugs and get a diesel pickup/ppv. Most diesels well looked after are hard to kill and deal with hilly areas easily. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DumbFalang said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have had the CVT fluid changed, but I will double check when it was done last.

The TPS sensor I replaced was a Nissan factory part.

I found out that when a mass airflow sensor begins to fail, it will typically generate an error code or “Check Engine light.” There is no Check Engine Light and no error code which makes me want to look into what ThailandRyan suggested:- Find out if the ECM can be flashed and reset.

Is ECM and EMU (mentioned by hansombeast) the same thing?

Here is a link for you to peruse @DumbFalang

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/Nissan-Juke-bad-ecm-symptoms/

The ECM is your Juke’s main computer. Almost all of the essential functions of the vehicle are controlled by the ECU/ECM.

The ECM takes all of the data from the various sensors, and uses it to operate the engine in a way that is significantly more efficient than traditionally controlled engines. It uses the data from the oxygen sensors, camshaft sensor(s), mass airflow sensor, knock sensors, and much much more to make constant adjustments to the engine. It’s so vital to the operation of your Juke that it won’t run without one.

Other than the many performance advantages of an ECM over mechanically controlled engines, it also provides data that can help you diagnose what is wrong with the engine when there is a problem. While modern engines are more complicated than older engines, this data more than evens out the advantage of the older engine.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Nissan - IM not so HO - have lost the plot.

We own a Teana V6 torque converter auto and it has been a great car. Quick, reliable, full leather, Oh No ... it has a SUNROOF ... with no leaks and no excessive heat into the cabin.

The newer models - well, CVT is the biggest failure, but they make an EV, which has a gasoline engine driving a generator which powers an inverter which turns the wheels. Has next to no range on batteries alone. It gives what Nissan claims is "The EV experience"

That about sums up where the company is now - full speed ahead for the Cuckoos Nest.

Shame Big Nurse recently passed ... 555

OP - if Juke still on warranty - have them replace the transmission AGAIN, and as soon as it is, flog it.

• Like 1