New rule for cash deposit machines from November 15th

webfact

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

WHAT???

So up until now, you were able to deposit large sums of cash into an account without having to identify yourself.

If this was the case, it is no wonder that corruption is rife here, only half a paper trail.

Please, someone tell me that I am reading this wrong and explain what safety procedures were actually in place to prevent accounts from being used for criminal purposes.

None - but I am pretty sure that you knew that already.

Whenever I have paid in cash over the counter at Kasikorn they have asked for ID  -  obviously this refers to depositing via the cash machine.

Edited by hotandsticky

9 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Don't they charge you for taking it out if you're outside the banks' area? My Bangkok Bank's account is based in Pattaya & I am sure I got dinged for a withdrawal in Bangkok.

Yes some banks still do.

I get around with cardless withdrawal. Requires Internet banking on smartphone.

No fee nationwide.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Nothing new/change for me. Always use banks debit card to deposit money.

Didn't even know that it can be done anonymously.

Much ado about nothing.

Yes me too, did not realize one could deposit without putting the ATM card in first....never deposit cash at the bank/machines nowadays, all one way traffic. 

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You are not 'giving them money'.

You are asking them to provide the service of putting money into an account, That costs money from the use of either labour and/or equipment.

Noone is asking the bank to use their services.

The govt is forcing everyone with any money to deposit it in a financial institution controlled by govt after which the depositor's money in the bank is supposed to be a loan to be used by the bank after which the bank controls that money, and then the bank start their charges on everyone's hard earned money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yes.

IT is why with K-bank, when I withdraw from the machine I use the withdrawal portion of the K-Bank phone App on scan the QR code on the machine after I have indicated on the app how much money I want, and no charge like if using the ATM card.

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

WHAT???

So up until now, you were able to deposit large sums of cash into an account without having to identify yourself.

If this was the case, it is no wonder that corruption is rife here, only half a paper trail.

Please, someone tell me that I am reading this wrong and explain what safety procedures were actually in place to prevent accounts from being used for criminal purposes.

It would seem there a very few. Just look at how easy it is for any tourist to come to Thailand and open a bank account by shopping around who can then make deposits and withdrawals with ease.

The way they could catch most of the money in bank accounts is to do it through the tax office ie to legislate that anyone earning interest or dividends is required to file a tax return. The tax office could evaluate those tax returns and then do lifestyle audits to determine the legitimacy of those funds.

35 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Whenever I have paid in cash over the counter at Kasikorn they have asked for ID  -  obviously this refers to depositing via the cash machine.

Genuinely, honestly, I didn't, I have never used an ADM, that's why I was asking.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Absolute garbage.

How Bank Deposits Work

The deposit itself is a liability owed by the bank to the depositor. Bank deposits refer to this liability rather than to the actual funds that have been deposited. When someone opens a bank account and makes a cash deposit, he surrenders the legal title to the cash, and it becomes an asset of the bank. In turn, the account is a liability to the bank.

Wonder what this annual ongoing fee is for a bank card when a fee was paid to issue the card.

Edited by userabcd

16 minutes ago, userabcd said:

It would seem there a very few. Just look at how easy it is for any tourist to come to Thailand and open a bank account by shopping around who can then make deposits and withdrawals with ease.

The way they could catch most of the money in bank accounts is to do it through the tax office ie to legislate that anyone earning interest or dividends is required to file a tax return. The tax office could evaluate those tax returns and then do lifestyle audits to determine the legitimacy of those funds.

Why would those earning a pittance on interest file a Tax Return if there is no actual earned income.  There is a statutory minimum needed before filing taxes in the rest of the world.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, userabcd said:

How Bank Deposits Work

The deposit itself is a liability owed by the bank to the depositor. Bank deposits refer to this liability rather than to the actual funds that have been deposited. When someone opens a bank account and makes a cash deposit, he surrenders the legal title to the cash, and it becomes an asset of the bank. In turn, the account is a liability to the bank.

So your saying that once you deposit the money into your account, the money ceases to be yours anymore and is a liability.  I think you are quite confused with this. True the bank can use the asset as they see fit, but the money is still yours, you never relinquish the legal title to the cash, and when a run on a bank happens the banks can not pay out everything they owe to the depositors, that is the liability of the banks using your money to make money, which is waht a bank is supposed to do.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why would those earning a pittance on interest file a Tax Return if there is no actual earned income.  There is a statutory minimum needed before filing taxes in the rest of the world.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not everywhere, I think some countries require a tax return be filed for any passive income earned.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So your saying that once you deposit the money into your account, the money ceases to be yours anymore and is a liability.  I think you are quite confused with this. True the bank can use the asset as they see fit, but the money is still yours, you never relinquish the legal title to the cash, and when a run on a bank happens the banks can not pay out everything they owe to the depositors, that is the liability of the banks using your money to make money, which is waht a bank is supposed to do.

If a bank becomes insolvent, a depositor will rank merely as an unsecured creditor 

Yes one has made a loan to the bank and that debt is owed back to a depositor on demand. But for example, if a bank goes out of business, this means that at the end of the day, technically speaking, the customer (depositor) may or may not get their money back once the bank goes through liquidation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1