TAT to foreign tourists: “Pay for a pool villa in Phuket instead of paying the energy bills”

webfact

I joke around and tell people that all the time. But, in reality it is cheaper for me to live at my home than to live here. And other countries I like to visit. But, being single living in my country at my age is the ultimate nightmare for me.  I only go back home for some R&R.... haha. 

Every day I wake up thanking my lucky stars I prepared half a$$ed for retirement. And I don't have to stay home.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Renting and taking a sabbatical with two school age children with my sister being a teacher and the husband owning a Bang N Olufsen franchise.....not going to happen.  They have the income, but it is why they canceled the Christmas vacation trip to see us from December 17th to the 3rd of January, the flights here have doubled from what they were pre-covid, so that money will be used for their extra bills.....Not sure how folks who need to heat their homes  in Europe and the east coast of the US to keep them from having damage while they are gone can afford the flights to head here for a few months in addition to the heating bill. 

Not sure either. I've no idea what the minimum temperature would be to maintain a safe environment inside a house. I wonder if solar alone could do it, but the set up costs might prove far greater than the running costs on the grid. I've always had problems finding people to check on my house, keep it swept out, and ventilated. Now, I just lock and leave, and visit every 3 months or so. In the rainy season it's rare not to find a leak somewhere. I have a lot of wood on the top floor for instance. You just live with it. The idea of setting up a management company which would house sit, and allow owners and families to take a worry free break, come round regularly. Amongst friends it works well.  But further than that, it gets complicated.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:20 PM, jacko45k said:

A lot of posters seem to want to turn everything into an opportunity to denigrate Thai people..... it is not even a comment from the Thai Government, rather TAT.

I think they have done well to be in less of a mess than the other countries we talk of.

Dude If you don't agree with other peoples views then why do you even come here?

I assume so you can complain about something.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2022 at 4:44 AM, brommers said:

Another opportunistic and tasteless exploit by TAT. Exploiting people who are financially threatened and worried sick thanks to the antics of the Truss government is beneath contempt.

The world doesn't revolve around Britain and "Europe and the US" consist of quite a bit more than that country. This campaign (any many others like it) are aimed at people who are looking at paying exorbitant energy bills this winter, and might get quite a bit more for their money if they just holiday somewhere warmer during the coldest months.

5 hours ago, monkfish said:

Dude If you don't agree with other peoples views then why do you even come here?

I assume so you can complain about something.

Are you suggesting a differing opinion is not welcome here? Too many here bang on in a silly way about Trump, and masks and the local people, yet have a blind spot to the failings of their own countries. It's a Forum......

On 10/20/2022 at 7:26 PM, Gwen1234 said:

Second that! No way should it be close to £1000 for flights. I could understand straight after the lockdowns because you had lots of people missing thailand and family but I've looked for out of season next year and seen £700 economy which is expensive compared to pre covid

With fuel costs, inflation and many other factors, (like green, anti pollution movements) I would be surprised if we ever got back down to sub £700, 2 way long haul. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hmm mine went from 6500 to 7900...

I know, it ain't a fair comparison, I am not in-country at this time, so only the fridge's are running  ????????????????????  but my place is smallish, only 60 sq meters and even when running all aircons never went cost more than 22-2800.............Peace

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I know, it ain't a fair comparison, I am not in-country at this time, so only the fridge's are running  ????????????????????  but my place is smallish, only 60 sq meters and even when running all aircons never went cost more than 22-2800.............Peace

If you dou le the square footage and the price you pId while here it is very comparable to what I pay for the condos power bill to MEA. 4481 this billing cycle and we were there only 20 days. The house bill arrives next Friday......

Edited by ThailandRyan

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Are you suggesting a differing opinion is not welcome here? Too many here bang on in a silly way about Trump, and masks and the local people, yet have a blind spot to the failings of their own countries. It's a Forum......

Dude what you said doesn't even have anything to do with the topic. But anyway we live here and we have the right to an opinion on the country we live in. I am sure if I was complimenting Thailand you wouldn't complain. Thailand is a great county but it's not perfect same as my own country the UK but I don't complain about the UK here because I don't live in the UK and after all this is a Thai Forum.

Edited by monkfish

9 hours ago, monkfish said:

Dude what you said doesn't even have anything to do with the topic. But anyway we live here and we have the right to an opinion on the country we live in. I am sure if I was complimenting Thailand you wouldn't complain. Thailand is a great county but it's not perfect same as my own country the UK but I don't complain about the UK here because I don't live in the UK and after all this is a Thai Forum.

You are from the UK and you use words like 'dude'?

It was what YOU said that started all this....

It is an opportunistic comment by a corrupt government hoping to profit on the back of misery suffered by others. How very very Thai.

As I said TAT, are not even 'The Government'.....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2022 at 4:42 PM, nobodysfriend said:

Better provide an EASY tourist visa good for a 6 month stay .

That will certainly help to attract the old and rich folks to spend the winter month ( and their money ) here .

Yes, if you want to attract this type of tourist then make an easy visa that is good for six months that they can obtain in their home country prior to traveling to Thailand.  A lot easier and less mess than having to waste a day or two going to immigration to purchase another short term extension to stay in the country.  

• Like 1

why should anybody fall for such a poor scheme whereby easier & better options, in the SEA, are available

Have $130,000 in your account! You are eligible for Indonesia’s new 10-year visa

https://www.y-axis.com/news/have-130000-in-your-account-you-are-eligible-for-indonesias-new-10-year-visa/#:~:text=Indonesia is launching a new ‘second home visa’%2C,announcement of the new rule or from Christmas.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:20 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

Hope you don't get a power outage with those fridges running.

19 hours ago, bradiston said:

Hope you don't get a power outage with those fridges running.

The most important one has all the beer and Vintage Drambui in it................????..........Management cleans and checks every two weeks...............

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

The most important one has all the beer and Vintage Drambui in it................????..........Management cleans and checks every two weeks...............

Take your point, but in 2 weeks anything perishable is going to go right off. I had that experience recently. Had to throw away meat and veg and all dairy.

10 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Take your point, but in 2 weeks anything perishable is going to go right off. I had that experience recently. Had to throw away meat and veg and all dairy.

Oh, well I donated all food to Staff before I departed.................Peace

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Stay at home and let us buy our houses cheaper! 

So you believe this will drive prices up? If so then maybe I can make a profit on my house when I decide it is time to move elsewhere in Thailand....

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you believe this will drive prices up? If so then maybe I can make a profit on my house when I decide it is time to move elsewhere in Thailand....

Prices will continue to go down as the recession continues in the cold countries and there are less renters here. I've seen a big drop in rent cost in Hua Hin in the last month, despite all agencies saying they will go up. Some who have been away from their houses for Covid, prefer to rent their house here to have a bit of extra cash, however there are not enough renters. Good time to buy, I'm looking right now. 

49 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Prices will continue to go down as the recession continues in the cold countries and there are less renters here. I've seen a big drop in rent cost in Hua Hin in the last month, despite all agencies saying they will go up. Some who have been away from their houses for Covid, prefer to rent their house here to have a bit of extra cash, however there are not enough renters. Good time to buy, I'm looking right now. 

I felt the same that it would be years before prices increased here and so I bought my Villa house here in southern Hua Hin/Pranburi while still maintaining my condo in BKK.  10Mthb buys a nice property.

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 10/20/2022 at 3:47 AM, Enoon said:

Dont holiday in Thailand, go to a country that has condemned Russia.

Cambodia, Phillipines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Maldives all did.

Vote against a country that thinks a demonstrably murderous, power crazed thugbeast deserves "fair" treatment.

Jeez! So much hatred for Russia!! What has the Russian people done to you?