Question about visa extension (mistake stamp)

My non-o (family) will expire on the 29th Oct. due to some reason to travel to Phuket tomorrow for a week, went to the immigration office today to make the extension for 60 days earlier to avoid rush time, when arrived back home from the immigration I discovered they stamped the extension till 20th Dec. 

I expected the extension will be counted from the expiry date, not from the date of stamping/applying for extension,

My question: anyone here had the same mistake before? and how to correct it? as for today is Friday, and tomorrow is Saturday (office closed) and I will be flying to Phuket, will return Sunday the 30th,

shall go to the immigration office again to explain this mistake and ask for correction? or any advise about this issue?

Thanks

45 minutes ago, waxpro said:

My non-o (family) will expire on the 29th Oct. due to some reason to travel to Phuket tomorrow for a week, went to the immigration office today to make the extension for 60 days earlier to avoid rush time, when arrived back home from the immigration I discovered they stamped the extension till 20th Dec.

So you are short changed approx a week? .

Did you intend to obtain 12 month extension? 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The reason for my guess is that when you change the reason for an extension of stay from retirement to marriage  or vice versa you forfeit the remaining time on your extension so the same rule is being applied hear.

Quite, when I changed from marriage to retirement the new premission to stay was taken from the date of application, 10 days sooner than it would have been had I remained on a marriage extension.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Go to an agent, I had a wrong stamp arriving at the airport from the UK, Genuine mistake by Immigration. Key Visa in Pattaya got it fixed for me, only charged 1000Bt. Excellent service.

Keeping it in the UK purse I guess! 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite, when I changed from marriage to retirement the new premission to stay was taken from the date of application, 10 days sooner than it would have been had I remained on a marriage extension.

I notice in thread couple of different opinions .

In your example you changed the basis of the extension from marriage to retirement, the permission of stay will start on day of application.

That's different to OP. 

Seems he applied for 60 day extension to visit family.

That extension should start from expiry of current permit. 

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

In your example you changed the basis of the extension from marriage to retirement, the permission of stay will start on day of application.

That's different to OP. 

I was agreeing with this statement from a previous post.

"The reason for my guess is that when you change the reason for an extension of stay from retirement to marriage  or vice versa you forfeit the remaining time on your extension so the same rule is being applied hear."

Of course remaining in context is never been your strong point.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's different to OP. 

You should really read the post that was quoted.

it is your opinion that ‘extension should start from expiry of current permit’

It is the opinion of some immigration offices (I gave an example) that the 60 day extension starts on the date of application. It is likely that the offices that hold that opinion are using the same basis as the marriage/retirement change.

It is certainly possible that you may be able to convince officers that your opinion is correct, it is equally possible that you may find it an exercise In futility.

I suspect that I know which scenario is more likely.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:54 AM, possum1931 said:

Go to an agent, I had a wrong stamp arriving at the airport from the UK, Genuine mistake by Immigration. Key Visa in Pattaya got it fixed for me, only charged 1000Bt. Excellent service.

A genuine mistake will be easily corrected (FOC if noticed and at the issuing office).

Is this a mistake? Or is it policy? If policy will it be changed?

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A genuine mistake will be easily corrected (FOC if noticed and at the issuing office).

Is this a mistake? Or is it policy? If policy will it be changed?

I wanted to go back to the IO at Swampy and get it corrected, but the guy at Key Visa warned me it could cause problems, his exact words. I was just greatful that Key Visa saved me from that possibility. besides, what's 1000Bt?

Why don't folks check that everything is okay prior to leaving immigration?

I once found my visa stamp was not signed when they passed me back my passport.

I once found that they gave me another person's 90 day slip when passing me back my passport.

Two errors in 14 years, not too bad but all was corrected before leaving immigration. Why, because I checked before I left!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I wanted to go back to the IO at Swampy and get it corrected, but the guy at Key Visa warned me it could cause problems, his exact words. I was just greatful that Key Visa saved me from that possibility. besides, what's 1000Bt?

It is certainly easier to get an agent to go to BKK airport from Pattaya on your behalf for the small amount of 1,000 Baht.

However the warning that was given by the agent goes against the experience of every one who has gone in person.

Was the warning correct or was it self serving? Most would say  self serving But For the amount charged it makes little difference as it was almost certainly less trouble.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1