Getting Residence Certificate (letter) at Immigration Bangkok (Chaeng Wattana?)

I am going to renew my 2-year Thai Driving License to 5 years. One of the documents needed is the Residence Certifcate.

1. I understand that MTT (Muang Thong Tani) is now closed; so I need to go to Chaeng Wattana (CW), is that correct?

2. I logged into the CW Online Appointment web-page but was not able to find the link to make an appoinment for residence certificate. Does this mean I do not need to make an appointment and I can just walk in to get this done?

Appreciate your advice and any pointers. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Lucian said:

I understand that MTT (Muang Thong Tani) is now closed; so I need to go to Chaeng Wattana (CW), is that correct?

Yes. 

CW for residence certificate.

Cost 200 baht and posted out within 2 weeks, however one week more likely.

For CW the main thing they require is your 90 day report.

If you are not doing 90 reports a residence certificate will not be possible. 

Regarding appointment.

All business from extensions etc you can do walk in. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. 

CW for residence certificate.

Cost 200 baht and posted out within 2 weeks, however one week more likely.

For CW the main thing they require is your 90 day report.

If you are not doing 90 reports a residence certificate will not be possible. 

Regarding appointment.

All business from extensions etc you can do walk in. 

Something is cheaper in Bangkok!

It cost me 500 Baht in Khon Kaen earlier this year, but it was issued within 30 minutes.

They forgot to give me the receipt though.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, loong said:

Something is cheaper in Bangkok!

It cost me 500 Baht in Khon Kaen earlier this year, but it was issued within 30 minutes.

Yes have read about KK 500b.

At least you get it on the spot. 

In my thinking it's just the typical Thai nonsense. 

90 day report receipt should be sufficient 

Edited by DrJack54

43 minutes ago, ian carman said:

If the bank requires one to open a bank account and you are on your first non o and haven’t done a 90 day report,confusing 

The OP has a non O 

Already has a 2 yr TDL.

For his 5 year license he will require another residence certificate. 

He will have a 90 day report receipt to provide of RC application. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP has a non O 

Already has a 2 yr TDL.

For his 5 year license he will require another residence certificate. 

He will have a 90 day report receipt to provide of RC application. 

I was just asking because I read somewhere that some banks require a certificate of residence in order to open a bank account which will obviously be difficult if on your first non o and have to deposit the 800k in order to stay longer

• 5 months later...
12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Photocopies of:

--the front photo page of my passport

--the prior history page of my new passport with the details of my last entry stamp into Thailand and my now ancient last actual visa.

--my current extension of stay stamp

--my TM6 arrival/departure card

--my latest 90-day reporting slip

--and my last TM30 residency filing receipt.

Interested in this list as I need to obtain residence certificate soon for 5 yr TDL.

That's a very extensive list and wonder how much was actually provided rather than requested.

In particular

TM30. 

Original Non O 

TM6.

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Interested in this list as I need to obtain residence certificate soon for 5 yr TDL.

That's a very extensive list and wonder how much was actually provided rather than requested.

In particular

TM30. 

Original Non O 

TM6.

They didn't have to ask me for anything, nor did they kick back anything I provided. So I'm assuming I was right in the groove.

I based my list of documents/photocopies above on common sense past experience with BKK CW and having reviewed all the recent posts/reports I could find on people doing their RC applications at BKK CW.

I specifically asked about the TM30 form photocopy, figuring you'd be interested in the issue as always, and reported above exactly what the IO lady told me, that YES they do want the TM 30 photocopy. But no, I didn't try to leave it out of my package and then see what they'd do in that instance.

PS - in my case, because I have a new passport as of last year, my last entry stamp and reference to my long ago last visa are now combined together on a series of stamps on the two passport pages just after my photo page... So I gave them a copy of that, since my new passport doesn't have separate pages/stamps for those two items.

In looking over recent posts on the RC subject, I believe it was you who had been repeatedly advising people, very correctly, that they're very keen on getting a copy of the applicant's most recent 90-day reporting slip, which they were.

I had a 90-day reporting deadline coming up in mid-April, and figured it would be better to wait to do my RC app until I had a new/more recent 90-day receipt...although it probably wouldn't have mattered. But I did my 90-day online Monday, and got the receipt in my email last night. When the male officer was shuffling thru my papers, he specifically looked at the 90-day receipt, saw that it had only been issued yesterday, smiles and made a comment on that, and gave me a "thumb's up" sign.... ????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I specifically asked about the TM30 form photocopy, figuring you'd be interested in the issue as always, and reported above exactly what the IO lady told me, that YES they do want the TM 30 photocopy.

Looks like I will be up for two trips.

Been here for 10 years and I have never even made a TM30.

However thanks for checking.

My last residence certificate was 2 years ago at MTT and I provided the basic pages of pp.

And most important seemed to be my TM47 receipt photocopy. 

Added note never supplied a TM30 for my extensions.

However things change.

Previously have never supplied TM47 for extensions retirement however out of the blue last Nov CW wanted one for my annual extension.

I don't like immigration offices. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Looks like I will be up for two trips.

My last residence certificate was 2 years ago at MTT and I provided the basic pages of pp.

And most important seemed to be my TM47 receipt photocopy. 

When you went 2 years ago to MTT for the RC, other than the TM30, did you leave out any of the other photocopies that I listed above?

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I've only done the TM30 once in 15 years here... and that was only because a couple years ago they refused to do my annual retirement extension until I did one... And that was the only time.

BTW, in one of the threads on this subject, I much appreciated you posting a link back to a thread on the TM30 policy being updated some years back, wherein they clarified several things... including:

1. that people living here on extensions and re-entry permits who return to their reported Thailand home after an international trip are NOT required to do another TM30 because of having been temporarily away from home.

And 2. likewise, that people living here on annual extensions who have a reported home residence also are NOT required to do a new TM30 report just because they have done some domestic travel where they've stayed in a hotel or such in some other Thai city/province before returning to their regular home.

Found those clarifications/guidance very helpful and reassuring.

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Residence Certificate Trip Report -- BKK CW Immigration

Went out to BKK CW Immigration today to apply for a residence certificate for purposes of later applying for a Thai DL. First time I had applied for a RC there in probably more than 5 years.  Here's the current lay of the land:

Arrived just at the end of the lunch break period at 1 pm. Lined up and got inside to the front queue tickets counter shortly thereafter. Figured I could get a RC queue ticket from any of the officers there, but NO... tried that and instead was told they now have a special queue line and document checking window just for RCs one window from the end at the far right end of the queue tickets counter. They have an A4 printout piece of paper taped to the divider window there saying document check for RCs.

So I moved over to that queue line, and shortly thereafter the guy behind the counter looked over my RC application form and supporting documents, gave his approval, and stapled them together and handed them back to me along with my queue ticket for the actual RC counter, which these days is the B section, a little area they have carved out along the wall between the front queue tickets counter and the A section 90-day reporting area in the far corner. Today, there were only 2 or 3 officers handling business there at any given time.

I don't know what was going on there, and whether they were also doing some other kind of applications in the B section, but for the first 15 minutes or so I was waiting there, the 2 or 3 working officers (mostly the civilian young woman types as opposed to the uniformed police types) spent the entire time with the same single applicant each. I had no idea what they were doing and why things were taking so long for what ought to be a simple piece of business.

I started out about a dozen numbers down in the queue, and they finally got around to calling my queue number about 1:50 pm, or after I had been waiting 45 minutes for 2 or 3 officers to make their way thru a dozen applicants. Sat down with a middle-aged male police officer who had stepped in to relieve one of the original women there.

The police guy seemed friendly and cheerful enough, asked me a couple questions to make sure why I needed the RC and for what kind of license. Quickly shuffled thru my paperwork, said OK, and told me "200 baht," which I quickly handed over. He then handed me off to another woman sitting next to him who handling the mailout details and the EMS mailing/tracking receipt that I was given, with the advice I should get the mailed RC in 1 to 2 weeks.  All in all, from the time I walked to their counter until I was finished, not much more than 5 minutes total. Which made me really wonder what was going on with the earlier folks in the queue.

My documents set, which they accepted without question or comment, consisted of:

--my original passport

--The completed residence certificate application form

2023 Residence Certificate application (simple).pdf 48.26 kB · 1 download

Photocopies of:

--the front photo page of my passport

--the prior history page of my new passport with the details of my last entry stamp into Thailand and my now ancient last actual visa.

--my current extension of stay stamp

--my TM6 arrival/departure card

--my latest 90-day reporting slip

--and my last TM30 residency filing receipt.

The lady officer who handled my EMS receipt and final details spoke very good English. So given the amount of discussion here on the topic, I decided to ask her about my inclusion of the TM30 residence receipt, and whether they really needed or wanted a copy of that as part of an RC application. And she clearly replied that, yes, she said they DO want that included as part of one's RC application paperwork. YMMV.

Lastly, BKK CW doesn't use an RC application form that has any place for any photos, and they don't request photos as part of the RC process, unlike apparently some other Immigration offices.

Also, just to be on the safe side, as always, I had brought with me originals of things like my house rental lease and various utility bills showing my name and address on them. None of that they asked for, though good to have them just in case.  So I was out the door by about 2 pm. Until the next time!

A useful overview for those having to get hold of Residence Certificate at CW.

But what a contrast with my up-country friendly and efficient SiSaKet Imm Office.

Just like TallGuyJohninBkk I needed a residence certificate to apply for my Thai driver's license.

At the SiSaKet office a residence certificate is provided on the spot, it takes 10 minutes and is free of charge.

But you need an official Request form from the organization where you need it for.  So I had to go first to the SiSaKet DLT (10 minutes down the road from the Imm Office) where they provided me with that filled-in Request form in 10 minutes and equally for free.  Then back to the Imm Office with that request form and they provided me with the residence certificate on the spot. 

Then to the DLT, with that residence certificate, my Passport, my IDP (International Driver's Permit, as my Belgian Drivers License is not in english language), and the 60 THB medical certificate that I got in the clinic near my home. Armed with those documents, it took less than 1 hour (including the visibility and reaction test) at the SiSaKet DLT to hand me both the Thai Car and Thai Motorcycle Drivers Permit (320,- THB in total).

That was January this year.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When you went 2 years ago to MTT for the RC, other than the TM30, did you leave out any of the other photocopies that I listed above?

Was bit of a strange experience for me.

I had never done a TM47 for my first 7 years pre covid due to exit/reenter every month.

So covid hit and I needed 90 report in person and same visit residence certificate. 

Both at MTT.

For 90 report I had my lease. Not required. The imm officer desk A, just asked that's where I live looking at my lease. I said yes.

And done. That was it. 

Then moved to residence certificate desk B

Had some basic copies of pp.

She only wanted my TM47.

Now of course that's not normal, however my personal experience.

Will be funny if/when I go to my condo office and ask for TM30 screenshot as I have been same room for 10 years and never done one. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Had some basic copies of pp.

She only wanted my TM47.

Are you saying the folks at MTT on your visit did NOT even want the basic copies of your passport pages... that they only wanted the RC form and the TM 47? Did they kick back your passport photocopy pages to you?

When you next go to BKK CW for the RC, if you want to be adventurous, you could also go in with a "light" package of paperwork... and see what if any other things they insist on...

For me, I tend to go with what I believe they want based on research of posts here, and I'll continue to provide those things unless they kick back some pages to me, or other posters make it clear in their reports that the IOs aren't asking for this or that anymore.

One more curious thing on the RC subject...

There were posts here in the distant past of people claiming they were able to get some kind of RC from their local police station for free...and that was acceptable for DL application purposes...

But.. two things on that score:  1. I've never tried going that route myself. And 2... I can't recall reading many/any reports here any time recently of people reporting have successfully gone the police station route for getting an RC.

Anyone with any further info on that issue?

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know what was going on there, and whether they were also doing some other kind of applications in the B section, but for the first 15 minutes or so I was waiting there, the 2 or 3 working officers (mostly the civilian young woman types as opposed to the uniformed police types) spent the entire time with the same single applicant each. I had no idea what they were doing and why things were taking so long for what ought to be a simple piece of business.

Same thoughts I had when I got an RC at CW. It completed a 'trifecta' of sorts on the day; extension, re-entry permit and residence certificate in one go. Appointments for the first two were smooth (except for a 50-minute wait for freshly-stamped passport to be returned after the desk session.)

But the certificate process was...well, it took two hours from first getting a number to the finish. (Tip for next time: Pickup that number for the service before doing the appointed extension.)

Four desks at the B counter. But functions other than certificates have to be taking place there. There was one person being served who ended up being in front of the desk for more than an hour! The queue moved so slow, I left to go downstairs for a bite.

There were about 25 numbers ahead of me when I started. Finally, when my number was called, I bounded in, handed over my copies and passport (the clerk didn't even look at the passport), confirmed the mailing address, and paid the 200 baht. I don't think it took even three minutes, maybe closer to two, and I was done.

What else is being handled at those desks? It can't take that  long just to process requests for residence certificates.

Edited by rwilem

1 minute ago, rwilem said:

What else is being handled at those desks? It can't take long just to process requests for residence certificates.

On my visit today, the end station in the B section has some sign up on the divider saying something about Thailand Elite... It looked like that woman/officer was handling some business of that sort from people who just walked up, and when she didn't have anyone of that type, was calling regular queue numbers for the RC queue...

Separate from that, in the early going, I was keenly watching the couple of the other officers in the B section who had been handling the same single applicant for 10-15 minutes... And at least for one of them, at the conclusion, it "looked" like the officer tore off the bottom of an A4 sheet and handed it back to the applicant. Now there's nothing about the RC process that involves a tear-off bottom slip AFAIK.... But the 90-day report sheet does have that kind of bottom tear off sheet. As I said, I too have no idea why they were taking so long with just a couple of folks.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can't recall reading many/any reports here any time recently of people reporting have successfully gone the police station route for getting an RC.

I'm not sure as well before my time.

Years and years back there were far fewer immigration offices and I vaguely recall reference to police stations providing few services.

Eg 90 day reports etc.

Not any longer. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not sure as well before my time.

Years and years back there were far fewer immigration offices and I vaguely recall reference to police stations providing few services.

Eg 90 day reports etc.

Not any longer. 

Blast from the past -- 2019 Hua Hin:

"I went all the way to Bluport immigration in Hua Hin but they told me they don't do it. I ended up going to a police station, the one right near Pranburi department of Land and Transport and got one there for 200 baht."

2017 Khon Kaen:

https://aseannow.com/topic/980309-how-much-do-you-pay-to-get-a-thai-residence-certificate/?do=findComment&comment=11832678

2014:

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

But you need an official Request form from the organization where you need it for.  So I had to go first to the SiSaKet DLT (10 minutes down the road from the Imm Office) where they provided me with that filled-in Request form in 10 minutes and equally for free.  Then back to the Imm Office with that request form and they provided me with the residence certificate on the spot. 

At BKK CW, no DLT request form asking that Immigration issue you an RC is required.... though I know that oddball practice does occur at some DLT/Immigration locales.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At BKK CW, no DLT request form asking that Immigration issue you an RC is required.... though I know that oddball practice does occur at some DLT/Immigration locales.

Yes, a rather strange practice.  But considering that the Request Form is provided on the spot for free in less than 10 minutes at the DLT, and that Immigration on receipt of that Request Form also provides you with the Residence Certificate in less than 10 minutes at no cost, makes you endure this minor bureaucratic nonsense with a thai smile...

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes, a rather strange practice.  But considering that the Request Form is provided on the spot for free in less than 10 minutes at the DLT, and that Immigration on receipt of that Request Form also provides you with the Residence Certificate in less than 10 minutes at no cost, makes you endure this minor bureaucratic nonsense with a thai smile...

I certainly would have liked to have been able to obtain the RC on the spot -- as opposed to waiting for it 1-2 weeks in the mail. But BKK CW doesn't give you that choice, AFAIK.

The longer I stay here, the more I get dismayed by the often pointless bureaucratic shuffles/hurdles that expats are forced to endure. This being Thailand, I understand that's the way it goes... But it doesn't mean I have to like it!  ????

Here in BKK -- adding together a trip out to the (distant for most) CW Immigration office ALONG with a separate trip and queues to one of the several local DLT offices (were that required) would pretty well consume the entire day.

But FWIW, if anyone from Immigration is listening, I WOULD be willing to pay a higher fee than the standard 200b amount (let's call it an "express service fee") if they'd be willing to provide/produce the RC letter on the spot.

I think I read here recently re some Immigration office (not BKK) offering that kind of RC option.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1