halogen ovens thinking of buying

bedbugy

Get one with a coil instead of bulb.  I bought one recently, though inexpensive, as know it won't get much use, and not sure I'd recommend it.  Works fine, just OK reviews, and as I said, not going to utilize too much as have other counter 'ovens', both larger & smaller.

Sonar brand (12L) if want to research it, but don't buy from Sonar site.  I got it from LAZ/'Sonar flagship store', paid all of ฿729+shipping (?), link below.  Test of time is a question mark, but as stated, won't get much use.

Actually bought for pizza (top after bottom done in cast iron), whole roast chicken (worked great).  Also made tasty fruit turnovers, using puff pastry, and all 3 turned out excellent. 

I found it, cheaper, larger and more versatile than the other convection/airfryer options for the price.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/15-sonar-12-7-cv-307h-i7758173-s9693252.html?clickTrackInfo=query%3Aairfryer%3Bnid%3A7207024%3Bsrc%3AlazadaInShopSrp%3Brn%3A3fbe1e104caf0206ce0533d275cb851c%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3ASO111HAAA4AGZ4ANTH%3Bprice%3A798.00%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A340%3Basc_category_id%3A10100315%3Bitem_id%3A7758173%3Bsku_id%3A9693252%3Bshop_id%3A9733&freeshipping=0&fs_ab=1&fuse_fs=1&mp=1&spm=a2o4m.seller.list.i3.275d741bMalhLT

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Test of time is a question mark, but as stated, won't get much use.

I have had 2 for many years, both Smarthome, difficult to live without it.

The heating element went in the first one after about 5 years so immediately bought another, now about 7 years old.

I bought a replacement element for the first one and my sister in law is still using that.

51 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have had 2 for many years, both Smarthome, difficult to live without it.

The heating element went in the first one after about 5 years so immediately bought another, now about 7 years old.

I bought a replacement element for the first one and my sister in law is still using that.

Not a slight to the one I bought, but Sonar, not the flagship store, was terrible customer service, when buying current unit.

I had an Otto unit previously, used it for years, and was great, but limited (size), as I had more ovens and gas BBQ/rotisserie, that got more use.   TBH, don't know what happen to it.  Probably gave to someone, but don't think it failed, or I'd still have the glass bowl somewhere, pack rat that I am.

The price, new Sonar, and not the highest quality feel to it, so didn't want to recommend it.  Never heard of the brand before, and if warranty as good as company contact/feedback, I didn't have, then useless. 

Actually put an order in with them direct, as cheaper, I think, and no info afterward.  Waited few days, then bought the same from CentralOnline, who informed me then, after couple days, were awaiting confirmation of dropship from Sonar, never came, so cancelled that one.

Then ordered from LAZ/Sonar flagship, shipped right away.  Never did cancel from Sonar site, and never did hear from them, but that agreed with their reviews.

They're great, small convection oven/airfryer, whatever you want to call them.   My main el' cheaper, (70L) countertop oven died, so ordered another, smaller, Electrolux 56L convection oven, which is excellent.  Got a chuckle, as it has 'AirFryer' on it, the new catch word for cook appliances.   Though it does have 4 hefty fans on it, so I'll give it that, but temp only up to 230°C, which is about all I need for anything, except if wanting fast pizza cook.  But without a steel, that's not happening.  Hence the cast iron combo cooking technique.

3 hours ago, Scottie12 said:

Would totally recommend the halogen oven, advantage over an air fryer is that you can see at a glance how your food is doing.

Agree - I've had my HO for several years now, wouldn't be without it! If you're on your own, it beats a conventional oven hands down.

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They're great, small convection oven/airfryer, whatever you want to call them.   My main el' cheaper, (70L) countertop oven died, so ordered another, smaller, Electrolux 56L convection oven, which is excellent.  Got a chuckle, as it has 'AirFryer' on it, the new catch word for cook appliances.   Though it does have 4 hefty fans on it, so I'll give it that, but temp only up to 230°C, which is about all I need for anything, except if wanting fast pizza cook.  But without a steel, that's not happening.  Hence the cast iron combo cooking technique.

Quite, better to have a selection of appliances to call on, they all have pros and cons.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Serious question. 33 years ago we bought a gas stove with oven. Takes a really long time to bake potatoes or beets, sometimes so long the tank runs dry.

Any recommendations for the kind of oven to make those happen, casseroles, macncheese?

Any convection oven will do that just need to decide what size.  I'm an Electrolux fan, great products, a little bit more expensive, but worth it

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Serious question. 33 years ago we bought a gas stove with oven. Takes a really long time to bake potatoes or beets, sometimes so long the tank runs dry.

Any recommendations for the kind of oven to make those happen, casseroles, macncheese?

Baked potatoes - <deleted> the skins and microwave for 5-6 minutes (depending on size). Finish off in the gas oven if you want crispy skins

Beets - Don't peel then, clean off any soil, boil until tender, then rub off the skins. Cut to size and sprinkle with salt then finish off in the gas oven (high heat).

Casseroles - use a slow cooker (crock pot), or very low heat overnight in the gas oven.

Mac'n'cheese - Par-boil the mac first (just 2-3 minutes) then add the cheese, milk, butter and seasoning. Cook on the hob and finish in the gas oven with some grated cheese on top.

Loads of recipes on the internet.

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

yes ... our kerosene stove took ages to boil water ....

image.png.5a5c85bfba886366f89f3977dc3f5641.png

• Haha 1