Making friends with Thai men.

bob smith

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

And you still want to make friends? Thai guys live under completely different culture, upbringing, education, knowledge and life's values...

i'd still like to give it a shot yeh. frutiless as it may be, there must be at least one thai man in thailand that i can get along with on a deeper level than 'hello, how are you?' 'you eat today yet?' ????

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

Best to give them a wide birth Bob. After 30 years, I would'nt invite one of them to my home for a BBQ! I have had many aquantainances through my working life in Thailand but NO lasting friendships with any Thai males!

its really strange. in the west that just doesnt happen. we all make friends, the come and go, through work, gym, going out etc. doesnt seem to be the case here tho, really weird. 30 years and no friendships with the local lads. kinda sad in a way

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

Our mothers don't put us on a pedistal and tell us how great we are from birth

you think this could be an underlying issue? do they think that they are too good for us? or maybe they are scared that their ego will take a bruising when next to a foriegner? i know thai men have big egos but surely not that big that they cant have a foreigner as a friend?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

If any posters have Thai male friends, thats cool, no problem, but not for me! Many of my long stay farang friends feel the same way.

i'd definitely like to hear from those that have. maybe i could get a few pointers..

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

IME friendships with Thai men are fairly superficial.

IMO many Thai men have a deep-seated inferiority complex when it comes to Western men. It explains why they may react violently when it comes to a dispute of any kind, due to the loss of face it may entail.

I go with the flow; however, I don't think pushing for something closer is worth the effort.

So true.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IME friendships with Thai men are fairly superficial.

IMO many Thai men have a deep-seated inferiority complex when it comes to Western men. It explains why they may react violently when it comes to a dispute of any kind, due to the loss of face it may entail.

I go with the flow; however, I don't think pushing for something closer is worth the effort.

cant argue with that! its still strange tho, they are only human after all. kinda sad that they see us as so much of a threat when most of us are rather pleasant, social chaps... right?? ????

• Haha 2