O Visa for Thailand

Hi all, A little advice.

I used to go to Hull consulate for my married "o" visa for a month or two to visit my wife's family in Sakhon, a simple job.

However now I see that when I apply online for the same visa "o" Non-resident I am asked for 10,000 pounds in the bank?

Anyone have any advice on this, am I applying for the correct visa, has it changed.

We're intending to stay with the family for some 4 months, would the O visa be the correct one to apply for.

Cheers for any help

5 minutes ago, Noris said:

I used to go to Hull consulate for my married "o" visa for a month or two to visit my wife's family in Sakhon, a simple job.

Why obtain a non O.

One simple alternative....enter visa exempt and obtain 60 day extension to visit wife 

Also visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you applied for a non-o visa to visit you wife.

That is an error on the e visa website. It should only be 20k baht or the equivalent of it in pounds in a bank account.

Cheers for that, I feel like I am up the creek without a paddle, Just booked the ticket till March I need a visa for 4 months. My Son is growing up, and the family have not seen him in all these years due to the flu virus. As said, I normally get an o visa if I stay 6 months. Can I show a credit card with a value of 10K I do not have the 400000B  in the bank have a reasonable income. What alternatives if I want to stay 4 months cheers

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not needed to apply for the non-o visa at the emassy.

What is needed to stay for 4 months married saying with family cheers

Edited by Noris
error

1 minute ago, Noris said:

What is needed to stay for 4 months married saying with family cheers

You can get non-o visa that allows you stay 90 days and then a 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife.

Or you could enter visa exempt and get a 45 days, then a 30 day extension and then a the 60 day extension

18 hours ago, Noris said:

However now I see that when I apply online for the same visa "o" Non-resident I am asked for 10,000 pounds in the bank?

Anyone have any advice on this, am I applying for the correct visa, has it changed.

There are 2 questions on the application, first is question 4

4 . Financial evidence, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party *

For this you can upload whatever you choose or refer to question 10

The second question 10

10 . Bank statement, showing GBP10,000 minimum, with name & visible *

For this you can upload the required statement or refer to question 4.

At this point in time there is no clear indication of what London will accept but it wouldn't be out of the question for it to be in line with the 12 month extension. ie £1000/month for question 4 or £10K for question 10.

If struggling with the non O and only looking at 4 months may be better to consider other options.

Edited by sandyf

22 hours ago, Noris said:

Hi all, A little advice.

We're intending to stay with the family for some 4 months, would the O visa be the correct one to apply for.

Cheers for any help

Hi Noris, this came up a while back and I believe what others have done due to the mistake on the evisa website is uploaded the bank statement showing 20k baht for Q4 and scan a written note saying not applicable for Q10 as UJ suggested this is a mistake on the site but you can't not upload something for Q10 or the app will not go thru and the £10k is not needed for that application. Only 20k baht is.

The other option as others have stated is go visa exempt 45+30 days then extend to see wife or child for 60 which would give you the required 4 months plus a bit. 

These are my 2 options when I return next month and to be honest I will probably go with the second as its a lot less hassle plus you would have to extend the original non o 90 to get over your 4 months anyway. 

Good luck, maybe you could report back as to which option you went for in the end. 

You may find it a good idea to call the enbassy and ask about the financial requirements. As Joe says, the amount on the website is incorrect.

Whatever the actual amount is, you have to show it as available in your bank, via statements. Credit available on a card is not acceptable.

Things may have changed now - since the application is done online but the embassy in London never used to enforce any financial requirements for a Non O Visa based on marriage. I used to get my Multi Entry Non O's at either Hull or London and although the website said £XXXXX (can't remember), when you called them they said if its an application based on marriage, just send copies of your marriage certificate.

I'd still call them for clarification - there's a hell of a difference between £10,000 and 20,000 baht.

I've just had a look at the RTE London's website and under Non O to visit family (which includes your wife), there is no figure mentioned.

The £10,000 you mention is for a Non O based on retirement.

It matters not that you are over 50, the correct visa for you is the family one.

Edited by KhaoYai

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I've just had a look at the RTE London's website and under Non O to visit family (which includes your wife), there is no figure mentioned.

The £10,000 you mention is for a Non O based on retirement.

It matters not that you are over 50, the correct visa for you is the family one.

Yes I did the same but I made a dummy app and that Q10 still shows up even for a non o wife/child which is where the confusion comes in. Can't believe they've not fixed it yet but TIT I suppose!

18 hours ago, dontpanic said:

The other option as others have stated is go visa exempt 45+30 days then extend to see wife or child for 60 which would give you the required 4 months plus a bit. 

These are my 2 options when I return next month and to be honest I will probably go with the second as its a lot less hassle plus you would have to extend the original non o 90 to get over your 4 months anyway. 

The one potential issue you may face is your airline wanting to see a flight out of Thailand during the 1st 45 days of your stay. 

This can easily be got around by "Renting" an exit ticket (IIRC costs $14) but just something to be aware of before travelling. 

If you do get stuck at the airport then some airlines have a waiver form saying you will pay all costs in exiting Thailand should you be denied entry for any reason but a mate of mine was forced to buy a ticket there & then (Birmingham UK Airport) before they'd let him check-in. 

15 hours ago, dontpanic said:

Yes I did the same but I made a dummy app and that Q10 still shows up even for a non o wife/child which is where the confusion comes in. Can't believe they've not fixed it yet but TIT I suppose!

Don't expect anything soon from London RTE. I've pointed out several inaccuracies on their website in the past and have been told to mind my own business ????.  Last time I looked they were well behind on Covid restrictions.  The problems with them really start when they did their heels in over either a regulation that's changed or where the information on their website is just plain wrong.

I can't remember the details now or even the name of the guy at Hull but he had exactly the same problems with them and he was Honorary Consul. He told me that with a particular anomally, he could only speak to one person at London about it and get the particular application approved - all of the others refused.

The biggest problem for us is that we are slowly running out of alternative offices to use.  When they go over to E-Visa they will only accept applications from their own citizens or people with legal residence. No idea how long I'll be able to use HCMC.

15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The one potential issue you may face is your airline wanting to see a flight out of Thailand during the 1st 45 days of your stay. 

This can easily be got around by "Renting" an exit ticket (IIRC costs $14) but just something to be aware of before travelling. 

If you do get stuck at the airport then some airlines have a waiver form saying you will pay all costs in exiting Thailand should you be denied entry for any reason but a mate of mine was forced to buy a ticket there & then (Birmingham UK Airport) before they'd let him check-in. 

Yeah thanks I'll definitely be grabbing a rent-a-flight, for the sake of a tenner it's not worth the hassle. Some say you need it, some say you don't but my point of view is you don't need it until you do ???? been away far too long for a cock up at this stage. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Don't expect anything soon from London RTE. I've pointed out several inaccuracies on their website in the past and have been told to mind my own business ????.  Last time I looked they were well behind on Covid restrictions.  The problems with them really start when they did their heels in over either a regulation that's changed or where the information on their website is just plain wrong.

I can't remember the details now or even the name of the guy at Hull but he had exactly the same problems with them and he was Honorary Consul. He told me that with a particular anomally, he could only speak to one person at London about it and get the particular application approved - all of the others refused.

The biggest problem for us is that we are slowly running out of alternative offices to use.  When they go over to E-Visa they will only accept applications from their own citizens or people with legal residence. No idea how long I'll be able to use HCMC.

I know it's ridiculous. I'll be honest I'm out after this next trip I'm on a  one way ticket, last one out turn the lights off! I'm sick of the bs in the UK and I'm lucky enough to be able to make the move permanently.

The way I look at it is I will travel the path of least resistance. Its crazy they will have those mistakes on the site and yet you can upload a written note saying N/A and its accepted! 

I will be obtaining a parent non o from Savannakhet after the 45+30+60 is done. I'll be up in Isaan so a trip every 3 months out is good for me plus it's pretty easy to do that run and I know it's up and running as someone has already done a trip report. If that avenue ever gets closed off then I'll just get an annual in country. 

Problem is there's so much bs surrounding visa's and extensions and the reality is if you've got some good info it's a piece of pi$$. 

Edited by dontpanic