EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

OH CRAP ... EV BATTERY DEGREGATION ????

About 35 days a way from full 1 year of ownership of our MG ZS EV. 

Notice on full charge now, display showing 359 kms available vs 360 kms, originally displayed in 'ECO' mode.   360 kms is actually pretty close to what we actually get, mixed driving locally.

Quick calculation, and that's a 0.27777777777778 % of battery degradation ????

Times that by the 8 year warranty period, and we expect less than a 3 % degradation (2.22%).

Probably less, as this year, as about 1/3 of our charging has been 'fast charging' at CS while O&A.   5-6k kms of our present 18k kms on the clock.

That will surely decrease substantially over the next 8 year.  As our O&A will, along with need of fast charging.  So that will probably be the most negative degradation to expect.

Not scientific, or calibrated with a capacity test/meter, but ball park enough for me ????

And about as 'real life' as you can get.  Quite happy with that estimate ????

(Same 1 km off, the NEDC rating of 403, now shows 402 kms, at full charge, (on different screen readout) but that's not a real life situation in my world)

image.png.81f15e79ecffabe3c0b4ef5f68fb5729.png

image.png.ead80ee774a3e0a9d00eae36de06c36a.png

image.png.754e21630bba6038d0c57472468c3244.png

image.png.f8e5cbf18e36a45b7f25d13cbc5daf77.png

image.png.41f1b6c781de105189451aa89dbd71be.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Time to think about renewing EV car insurance. (expires 30 Oct)

Got a quote from cousin, ฿22+k, for wrong model (X vs our D), and 10M coverage.  Write off value ฿900k

Need to ask present carrier, but I think quoted 10.8k back in May (or typo on previous post), May ? a bit early,  And stopped them there, as too early to think about.  So didn't ask specs of policy.

Will probably go with Roojai.  Write off value ฿840k.

Highest (our fault) deductible of 5k, knocked ฿1400+ off the price, and 1M per person.  Repair @ MG or contracted shop.

image.png.135de5150afe77922b2b418ab4a03d02.png

Considering nobody has hit me in over 20+ years, and anything else has been minor dings (my fault), almost not worth putting on insurance, but back then, claims didn't matter.

Nobody locally drives fast enough to do much damage to the car, especially to the battery pack.

If we keep with 1/3 driving on highways, doubtful, then even safer, as rarely cross traffic.

Only danger spot locally is crossing Hwy #4/Phetkasem Rd, and that's at a traffic signal.

I drive the speed limit, with extreme Spidey senses engaged.  Don't drive in Krung Thep when there.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Rare, but occasionally match or beat the NEDC range rating of 403 kms.

First leg of daily rounds today, to the park.  Giving a range of 497 kms ????

image.png.0b5b12ecc928e3a78de7711a6d1c5338.png

Catching the traffic light on hwy #4, (2X) and another for minimal time, drops the average kph, both to and from park/surfside, as probably about 8 minutes combines of being idle.

Continue on from park to surfside & back home.  Requiring higher speed due to traffic on the overpass and main roads.  Still good for a range of 402.6 kms ????

image.png.22117f7136ed8a772b855ec81da03c6b.png

Just don't expect all the time, or even close to all the time.

Combined locally, get about 360 kms per charge, mix highway & in town driving.

On the highway, 300-320 seems to be our average, with cruise control set at 90 kph.  Sometimes need to go faster for a smoother ride.  

At end of the day's highway journey, 300-320 kms sticks pretty good, with average speed afterwards 70-80 kph, over 3 ish hours, due to traffic lights & cross traffic.

WLTP rating is 320 kms per charge, and you definitely get that local driving, or more as we do.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IF just knocking around town, my unnecessary morning cruise to the park & surf, with numbers of total after return home, and a bit faster driving.

To;  10.7kWh per 100 kms = 432 kms per charge

Total: 11.7kWh per 100 kms = 395 kms per charge.

NEDC rating: 403 kms per charge

WLTP rating: 320 kms per charge

To park & surf:

image.png.834b172e4bbd5fa6810488ce9bbf8492.png

Total morning cruise:

image.png.f281ccd71feac9c20df9acb0a678cd21.png

We really don't need a car, but IF we did that everyday, <5500 kms a year.  Along that route, I pass Makro, 7-11, PEA/PWA, BBL & Post Office,   Along wth morning fresh market, coffee shops & restaurants.   Too lazy to uncover the MB this morning, as my usual transport for morning cruise. 

When exploring locally, a bit more mixed driving, and on Hwy #4 (Phetkasem Rd) @ 90 kph, and side roads @ ~60 kph, we get 360 kms per charge.

On straight hwy driving, @ 90 kph, averaging 80 kph at end of the day, we get about 300-320 kms per charge.  Usually topping up after 3-3.5 hr/250-275 kms.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First year owning, and we had 8 O&A that required accommodations, from 1 to 10 ish nights.   Total of 9300 kms of our 20k for the year   Minus maybe 4000 kms for the 100% leaving house & 20% returning to house.  8 X 500 = 4000 kms (250 + 250 kms from solar)

All things being equal, 5300 kms needing CS, if 200-250 kms per charge, then 21 to 26 CS visits.  Probably closer to 30 times, as being overly conservative the first few trips.  And only registered w/MG first two O&As.

They did involve a few user errors, no real problems or concerns, and no Qs, I don't think, and one almost oops, as 18%, and CS was inop 😂 although knowing next one was right down the road, on the way.  If that was inop, then we'd be plugged in with granny charger, or get the closest guesthouse to do the same.

Plugged in twice at guesthouses, just convenience, as not needed.  Almost every time at the CS, the EV was done charging, while we were preoccupied, w/toilet breaks, walk the dog, coffee/snack and or lite munch.  Along with simply checking route & accommodation up the road, as nothing is ever booked in advance, just options available, bookmarked.  Then fine tune on the way.

We rarely travel weekends, so Qs avoided.  Just recently did a weekend, and luckily no Q, though that may change in the future, another year or so.  Helps being retired and not restricted to weekend traveling.

All and all, great experience, and much better than expected.  Before owning, I didn't expect to get the WLTP range rating of 320 kms, and thought 250-275, maybe requiring CSs at 200 kms.  Thankfully proved wrong and we consistently exceed 320 locally, and average 360.   On the road, and straight highway driving, rare, and no need to charge till about the 250 kms mark.  As 300 seems to be the full charge range at speed (90-110 kph), the rare occasions that we can average 85 kph over 3+ hours.  At that point, a very welcome break from driving.

That's usually just the first leg of any trip, N toward Krung Thep  & beyond, or S toward Chumphon.  Most other highway driving has too much cross traffic to average even 80 kph.  So we might need to charge closer to 275 kms.   Recently, if multiple legs same day, first day usually, it's actually quicker to not top up to 100%, and stop around the 90-95% mark, as last 5% goes in rather slow.

For our driving, traveling style, EV fits our over the road needs.   Those that need to be there as far & fast as possible, then you'll need to keep the ICEV for your O&ASs.   Especially if driving consistently 100+ kph for 6-8 hrs.  Them days are way behind me.

HAPPY TRAVELS.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some unscientific observations this AM, during morning drive to park w/dog and along the surf, and return home.   Paying close attention w/photos, so not to miscalculate as I take the battery down to <10%.

Testing the BYD equalization process recommended every few times a year, and not mentioned or suggested in MG user manual.  Take down to <10%, and slow charge @ 7kWh back to 100%.

Left house @ 18% w/range of 60 kms.  At park, back in car, and still @ 18% & 61kms range, driving 3.5kms.   Did I really regen more than I used :laugh:

Left the house, taking photo after pulling out of drive, and walking dog for short distance to P. All of 5 minis maybe.  @ 18% & 60kms when car started.

image.png.143853a996712f7a0e77918e32eaba5f.png

Continuing to surfside, and back to big intersection, before open road back home, and now @ 17% & 56 kms range remaining.

image.png.bcbbb910dff1ab08f9bce82c5ff6a047.png

I usually get 3-3.5kms per 1%, in eco mode, driving around town.  ODO showing the 10kms, so 11.0 is accurate enough.  11kms using 1% is not so usually,  If at hi/lo end of 18 & 17% still about 2% @ 7kms, and more normal, but not 11 kms.

Let's try 'Sport' mode, punch it, and see what juice it sucks up.  Now back in the carport, and used about 2% +/- for those 3kms while under almost constant acceleration for 2.6 of those kms.

image.png.a80c1952a9ba01985cee385f46a0b105.png

image.png.5d844851ae3660a5407c9ec431b038c5.png

Wife has an appointment back in town, all of 8 kms round trip, so maybe keep it in sport mode, 

and top up today using wall charger @ about 7kWh (7.4kWh, so close enough).

If remember, will see what is actually used from the grid, since wall charger is only think on it, vs actual kWh added to the battery bank.   Expecting about a 10-20% difference.

50.3kWh (46.3 usable) battery pack

image.png.130574f5cc7cd0215b1babe664428c8c.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

KhunLA - In some posts here you've reported the money you've saved on fuel by driving your EV.  If I understand correctly, you state most of your vehicle charges are from your home solar charger and that you count these as "free" of cost as you are charging with "excess" solar power.  I.e. You already had your home solar power system before you began charging your vehicles with it.

This seems to me disingenuous accounting.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to apportion your cost of charging your EV at home as a percentage of the Cost of Ownership (initial outlay, maintenance, depreciation, repairs, etc.) for your home solar energy system.

For example, if charging your EV accounts for 30% of your systems annual energy output, then your annual EV energy cost would be 30% of your systems annual Cost of Ownership.  It is not really "free energy" as you claim.

22 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

This seems to me disingenuous accounting.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to apportion your cost of charging your EV at home as a percentage of the Cost of Ownership (initial outlay, maintenance, depreciation, repairs, etc.) for your home solar energy system.

For example, if charging your EV accounts for 30% of your systems annual energy output, then your annual EV energy cost would be 30% of your systems annual Cost of Ownership.  It is not really "free energy" as you claim.

Again ... NO, and explained many times. The size of the solar system is the minimum I need to energize the house on a crappy weather day or 3 in a row. 

So the exact amount was/would have been spent for the solar system, whether having an EV or  not.   That it provides excess to charge the EV, is simply a plus, and COST NOTHING EXTRA, at initial cost or to maintain.

How y'all don't understand that is mind boggling.

Have a nice day.

• Agree 1

Took the wife to her appointment, and while at rest, the battery pack regained 7 kms range.  Not unusual for any lithium battery pack of any chemistry for any purpose.  As same for E-MB, and my drones & RC toys.  Always recover a bit after rest and cooling down.

image.png.6d57ae4b1ed705a9f30f3c0c32b5174c.png

So will definitely be <10% after returning home later today.  I'll let that rest a bit, before charging, and see how things go.  Actually trying to see if BYD's equalization process recovers any degradation of battery bank.  Maybe get 1 or 2 of those kms per charge back :laugh: 

At start of last O&A, range was at top side of 356 in 'ECO' mode, at full charge vs 360 kms when new.

16 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Totally understood.  You've done some creative cost accounting to favor your EV.

You can use different, accounting principles, in my case, I also installed Solar for the house before I bought an EV, and I charge up my EV, only on sunny days, when the electricity would normally go to waste.

On cloudy days where I only have enough Solar to run the house, I don’t charge the EV.

In marginal accounting terminology, the power for my EV is free.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Actually trying to see if BYD's equalization process recovers any degradation of battery bank.  Maybe get 1 or 2 of those kms per charge back :laugh:   ... At start of last O&A, range was at top side of 356 in 'ECO' mode, at full charge vs 360 kms when new.

That was a bit of a success.  As it did recover about 2 kms per full charge, and back to 358 kms per full charge in 'ECO' mode.  So will probably do that equalization process at least twice a year.

Degradation was only 2 kms over 14 months, and 22,520  kms, with half of those O&A, and more than half charged at CS while O&A.  Degradation over that period, <0.6%.  All things being equal, degradation at end of the battery warranty period, of 8 years / 180,000 kms should be <5% 👍

Probably much less than 5%, as our O&A will be winding down, and doubtful we'll be racking up 20k kms a year, in the future.

Eco range @ 100% before equalizing charge:

image.png.bcaae03e4f6532a0b885aa02e9e4bac0.png

Now:

image.png.19cf1e94b68beb23c6947ba5df18d009.png

Took about 7hr 40 mins to charge (Wall charger 7.4kWh),

charging from 9% @ 1510, ending @ 2250 hrs

image.png.4beeca2ccc759ff002b1695ccf75b87c.pngimage.png.a5401c31c96859971ceee05198ab2c00.png

KWh needed to top up to 100% ... 42kWh (91% of 46.3lWh)

50kWh used from the grid 

image.png.1e6867129afe3a655ea40a2bd42b88e2.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Little update/info to above, the BYD's <10% (9%) equalization process.  Guess I should have search before doing, but no problem and did recover 2 of the 4 kms, so a success.  Certainly would never consistently go below 20%, let alone 10%.

MG ZS uses CATL batteries, did search CATL & Tesla recommendation for maintaining and both recommend not going below 20%, as BMS functions better.  OK, makes sense, and TBH, 10% vs 20%, I really didn't see the point of going <10% then back to 100% vs starting at 20%.  

So won't purposely go <20% again, and rarely have, and I think only twice in 22k kms, while out & about.  So degradation was ~0.6% for the 14 months/22k kms, and as stated, now expect ~4% over the battery warranty period of 8yrs/180k kms.  All of 14 kms off out local driving range of 360 kms per full charge after 8 yrs.  As stated again, probably less, as doubtful we'll put 20k kms on yearly in the future.

HAPPY MOTORING

• Like 1

Little update/info to above, the BYD's <10% (9%) equalization process.  Guess I should have search before doing, but no problem and did recover 2 of the 4 kms, so a success.  Certainly would never consistently go below 20%, let alone 10%.

MG ZS uses CATL batteries, did search CATL & Tesla recommendation for maintaining and both recommend not going below 20%, as BMS functions better.  OK, makes sense, and TBH, 10% vs 20%, I really didn't see the point of going <10% then back to 100% vs starting at 20%.  

So won't purposely go <20% again, and rarely have, and I think only twice in 22k kms, while out & about.  So degradation was 0.6% for the 14 months/22k kms, and as stated, expect ~4% over the battery warranty period of 8yrs/180k kms.  All of 14 kms off out local driving range of 360 kms per full charge after 8 yrs.  As stated again, probably less, as doubtful we'll put 20k kms on yearly in the future.

HAPPY MOTORING

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 10:44 AM, KhunLA said:

MG ZS EV 2022 (D) 

1 year owning & 20k kms (19,950)

Still loving it, and 20k kms check up this week, w/tire rotation.  Don't expect any surprises.

We charge with excess solar, so IF, all kms local, then a savings of about ฿54,000 for the year / 20k kms (91 @ ฿38/L).

Our actual driving, was O&A for 9366 kms, of which 5366, we used CS @ ฿7.5/kWh = ฿6,200 vs ฿25,000 if using petrol for 9366 kms.   We saved about  ฿47,800 baht for the year, from petrol alone, vs the same ICE version of the ZS, that we 'did own'.

I minus'd 4000 kms off the 9366 total, as 8 trips overnight & CS used, with 500 kms per trip from solar.  Beginning from house @ 100%, returning @ ~20%, so about 250 kms each way X2 X8 = 4000 kms charged by solar.   Rarely use the grid to charge the car or MB.

Love the performance & comfy, quiet, smooth ride.   Also like the 'almost' one foot driving & regen, which should require less replacement of brake pads.

Do not like & disabled 'keeping in lane driver assist' feature.  Rather annoying, probably more so in TH, but can't see myself using if outside of TH.  Those little steering wheel nudges are annoying.

We don't use the mapping/GPS/direction software, and didn't even activate it, as didn't care for the version in the ICE version.  We use Gmap.  

Except for wife listening to music occasionally, we don't bother with any other features.  I'll use Cruise Control on open roads, set @ 90 kph which takes some getting use to, with the safe distance sensor adjustments, but a tap of accelerator overrides that annoying slowing down.

Charging when O&A is easy & convenient, and yet to be inconvenienced by any Qs, though we rarely travel on weekends.   Have run into a few inop chargers, and simply went to the next one up the road.   Don't go below 20% when O&A, and always know where the next CS is.

Get 360 kms locally per full charge, in 'ECO' mode, and about 300 kms when O&A. Usually topping up after 250 ish, kms, and a welcomed stop after 3 ish hrs on Thai roads.

Car is usually done charging, before we are done whatever we're doing; walk dog, munch, toilet, checking for hotel/restaurant at destination, or trolling AN, IF enough time 😁

Our other EV, used almost daily, weather dependent, E-MB, DECO SUSU model, is now 2 yrs old / 5300 kms, and loving it also.  One more year on the battery warranty, and no problems expected.

Highly recommend anyone considering a new scooter to check out the DECO line up, as they start at <฿30k w/govt incentives.   You won't go far or (top end) fast, but you'll pass all the petrol stations.   Really can't beat it for knocking around town.

My DIY E-bike hasn't gotten much use later, and really should use that more often.  

HAPPY MOTORING

Aside from from this (quote above for more boring reading), the first year having EV, short summary, 20k kms, almost half of those, away from the home, overnight, 33 nights, and 8 separate O&A (out & abouts), i think.

Bored and play with numbers, knowing how little we drive locally, knocking around town, thought I peek and see how many of those 10k local kms, weren't exactly knocking around town.   So over to Gmap Timeline, and yea, everyday for that year, and noted the days with short trips O&A (>50 but <125 kms, no overnight or CS (charging station) used)

Kind of surprising, and more than half of,  EV (car), and 5061 kms / 32 days, shy of 1 every 10 days for the first year owning our EV, were away from house, not simply knocking around town.

Today, my short unnecessary daily park run with the dog was all of 8.8 kms.  Double that almost, when we add cruising by the surf.  Along that route, is Makro, our only mandatory use of car.  So reality, could hit the park, on our shopping days, once or twice a week.  As I can simply walk the dog in the neighborhood, as I do at sunset.  Boring, twice in same day.

So our actually local driving, without playing tourist, is only about 5000 kms with the car, and I think, 2500 on the scooter, and average of 20 kms a day for the year, most, unnecessary.

Advantage of all that, especially playing local tourist, it doesn't cost anything, and gets us 'the hell out of the house'.  As I state many times, one of best things about the EV & solar, getting O&A locally, where we probably wouldn't do it in an ICEV, or at least not a special trip like today.  We'd probably just wait until we were in the neighborhood, coming back from a real O&A, and pop in.

101 kms, today, if using petrol, would have cost ฿274, almost the same as the coffee & sweets for 2, at ฿300.  Kind of silly when transport cost the same as a sweet tooth fix.  Of course, we could of had similar, (not really) riding the pedal bikes to 7-11, for <฿120, two ฿20 coffees & two ฿39 cheesecakes.  Along with being healthier, but just not interesting, and still 'at the house'

Food for thought, when thinking about your next vehicle, if any of it rings a bell.

HAPPY MOTORING

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before taking your EV in to have something you think is not working correctly, do read the owner's manual, and or, check the settings of you EV.

Ours was no longer auto locking the doors, once rolling along, 15 kms or so, they auto lock.  So wife scheduled an appt for them to peek at it, and see what the issue was.  0930 hrs appt for half day inspection, as possibly needed to track down the issue.

Receive call at 1000 hrs, and completed, assuring me that the MG service staff are excellent, well trained, knowledgeable in their craft.

Arrive to pick up, and service rep chickie tell the wife, it was just a setting that was 'disabled'

.... 'DUMB A$$'

Of course I wonder, how did it get disabled in the first place.  Oh well, all's well that end's well, and gave us an opportunity to be out of the house earlier than usual, have an excellent brekkie of GraPhao, using stewed beef, and best I ever had.  With a mediocre side of eggs in a pan.   All of ฿125 for both dishes (80+10 (egg) + 35), for myself.   Stroll in park after, and a Makro run, all before noon.

image.png.f0e00e602d21f1dce10a17fe8c0af6c1.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 11:59 AM, KhunLA said:

Battery is 46.3kWh (usable), using 13.8kWh per 100 kms = 335 kms range.   Always meets or exceeds the WLTP rating range of 320 kms.   MG being very accurate & honest with their range promo.  

Same morning surfside dog run, with a few extra kms, and a bit slower, since getting a quick rain downpour.  Using 12.9 kWh per 100 kms.

Closer to the 360 kms range I quote for local driving, and actually 358.9 kms. Little to no stop & go, so little regen back to battery, and in the 360 kms range for most of our local driving.

image.png.6f45942d4ffda7e25fbdd64df0f4c651.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2