The EV beyond mobility

webfact

EV batteries are unique, vehicle specific, and many times more costly to replace at the dealer compared to stationary batteries. I would not want to have an EV plugged in and charged and discharged repeatedly without a very very large cash incentive. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand this line from the article – it's the "40-watt" – a typo or can some give me an explanation...
According to Nissan Motor Thailand, 40-watt EV battery can supply enough power for a small family to use for 3-4 days.

26 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I don't understand this line from the article – it's the "40-watt" – a typo or can some give me an explanation...
According to Nissan Motor Thailand, 40-watt EV battery can supply enough power for a small family to use for 3-4 days.

Surely they meant to state kW and if using a 40kW (of a 50kW) EV battery, then yes, it would power a house for 3-4 days.

First week having our solar system, and we were being conservative, to see how little we could live on, if needed.  Just 2 people, and we averaged about 10+ kW a day, so 3 days+ for us.  Not sure about a 'family' of 3 or 4.  OK just for necessities in an emergency situation, as we do have 2 frigs, and did use AC a wee bit.

image.png.4ed3ddaf4cd2d14457b921ec42da0940.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Some EV's have the capacity, IIRC it's called V2L. Effectively, the car can act as a storage battery for a home, just like a Tesla PowerWall, but on wheels. I think the MG EV has the required kit for transfer.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Some EV's have the capacity, IIRC it's called V2L. Effectively, the car can act as a storage battery for a home, just like a Tesla PowerWall, but on wheels. I think the MG EV has the required kit for transfer.

Yes V2L or Vehicle to Load is the correct terminology.

Unfortunately, the MG EP EV cannot do this, nor can the ZS EV as far as I know.   I have had an MG EP for 1.5 years now with 42,000km already on it, great car so far.

The 7.5kw charger included with the car would normally be around 20k baht from my research.  It is a relatively 'stupid' smart charger.  You can't even limit it to stop at 80% charge level, which can allow a Lithium Ion battery to last much longer if you don't need the full range every day.  I have to physically go out and unplug the car.  No mobile phone app to control this car, either.   The charger does not have a feature to charge after hours only should Thailand ever implement discounts for charging at off-peak times.  (They don't where I live and work at least)

Well worth it for the money, though.  1/3 the cost of operation of my Ford Ranger so far, and WAY faster and more fun to drive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Yes V2L or Vehicle to Load is the correct terminology.

Unfortunately, the MG EP EV cannot do this, nor can the ZS EV as far as I know.   I have had an MG EP for 1.5 years now with 42,000km already on it, great car so far.

The 7.5kw charger included with the car would normally be around 20k baht from my research.  It is a relatively 'stupid' smart charger.  You can't even limit it to stop at 80% charge level, which can allow a Lithium Ion battery to last much longer if you don't need the full range every day.  I have to physically go out and unplug the car.  No mobile phone app to control this car, either.   The charger does not have a feature to charge after hours only should Thailand ever implement discounts for charging at off-peak times.  (They don't where I live and work at least)

Well worth it for the money, though.  1/3 the cost of operation of my Ford Ranger so far, and WAY faster and more fun to drive.

Perhaps I should have said the 2022 MG EV has V2L capability.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

A myth is that lithium ion batteries are environmentally unfriendly since they can't be recycled.  This is simply not true and there are already a number of companies that recycle lithium ion batteries with up to 98+% of the battery materials being recycled.

Good post. One point tho' -

Altho' the CAN be recycled, there is this ...

The valorization of waste lithium-ion batteries and their materials through recycling has gained significant attention in recent years. The recycling rate of lithium-ion batteries is still low at under 5%, however. The main reasons for this are cost and the complexity of recycling methods.

https://www.azom.com/news.aspx?newsID=57992

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I can see it now.  Electric trucks with a diesel generator in the back.

That's already happened in Australia, a Polestar EV was driven across the Nullarbor, accompanied by a truck with a diesel generator on board for recharging. But don't worry, the fuel for the two diesels was environmentally sustainable - recycled oil from fish and chip shops in Perth.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That's already happened in Australia, a Polestar EV was driven across the Nullarbor, accompanied by a truck with a diesel generator on board for recharging. But don't worry, the fuel for the two diesels was environmentally sustainable - recycled oil from fish and chip shops in Perth.

A good mate of mine here manages the building of the electric passenger ferries that are being made for Bangkok's canals and rivers and also for other places around the planet.  All of these 'electric' ferries have 'range extenders' in them.    Otherwise known as a diesel generator  ????

There are other jokes we make about 'range extenders' for use in other purposes, but they aren't clean enough for this forum. ????

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps I should have said the 2022 MG EV has V2L capability.

Indeed they do!   Not sure if the Thai version will have it, but in UK they do.

It's a bit useless though, not exactly going to fire up the power grid in your local area with only 2200 watts of maximum output.   I suppose your girlfriend could dry her hair as long as she just has a cheap hair dryer from Big-C or something similar.   It would run a small refrigerator.  It would not run even a very small house air conditioner, though.

https://www.mgevs.com/threads/vehicle-to-load-v2l-any-information-or-first-hand-experiences.4810/

Edited by n8sail

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, no incentives to have solar installed on residence or to make it easy to feed the grid.

BS headlines to make you think they care or are working on solutions, when the simplest ones right in front of them, they ignore.

That would make too much sense!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Standardised, hot swappable batteries…

That’s far too sensible.

Already being done in China.  Drive in, a machine cremoves your battery and puts a fully charged one in and off you go.  Takes three minutes.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 9:39 PM, HarrySeaman said:

The cost of electricity is less than the cost of gasoline/benzene to drive an ICE car a similar distance, especially if you charge it at home.  EVs do need new brake pads, tires, and windshield washer fluid just like an ICE car, but they don't need oil changes, new spark plugs, etc. that ICE cars need so you save money on maintenance.

Given the cost of an EV, and the fact that many could never afford such, but use cheap  second hand cars IMO the appeal of an EV is only going to be to those that can afford a new car.

IMO the likelihood of any used EV near battery replacement time of being sold is virtually nil, unless things change significantly.

Of course, if the motor industry smells the coffee and goes hydrogen, all such problems goes away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Already being done in China.  Drive in, a machine cremoves your battery and puts a fully charged one in and off you go.  Takes three minutes.

That is indeed the way to go. Solves all the obvious problems bar infrastructure capacity to charge all the batteries.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the cost of an EV, and the fact that many could never afford such, but use cheap  second hand cars IMO the appeal of an EV is only going to be to those that can afford a new car.

IMO the likelihood of any used EV near battery replacement time of being sold is virtually nil, unless things change significantly.

Of course, if the motor industry smells the coffee and goes hydrogen, all such problems goes away.

You can buy a Wuling Hongguang Mini EV Urban EV* for four people in China for the equivalent of around USA $9000 to $12,00 depending on the model, and it sells at a profit - $4. ????  There are a number of models available for less than $20,000.  The Ora Good Cat is another good example of a very low cost Urban EV.  Other companies have even larger EVs with 300+ km ranges in the $15,000 to $30,000 range.

Considering the cost of gasoline vs electricity and the added maintenance of an ICE car the cost difference for a new EV verses a new ICE car is smaller than most people think, and shrinking quickly as the cost of EVs steadily decreases over the next few years.  In my opinion, and the opinion of lots of others who are much more knowledgeable about EVs than I am, the crossover point where EVs outsell ICE cars worldwide might happen by 2025, but certainly by 2027. 

Forget the ICE vehicle manufacturers and Wall Street analysis.  They have had their collective heads up their places where the sun don't shine about this since Tesla started selling EVs and they still have their heads in the same places.  It isn't a linear replacement, it is an exponential change like all other disruptions such as auto for horse and buggy or smart phones for land line phones - 3 vital skills for the age of disruption.

By 2025 the value of second hand ICE will already have fallen vs now, so yes, you will be a able to get a cheap second hand ICE car, but you better figure on writing off the cost in a couple of years because the market for second hand ICE cars will dry up.  By 2030 ICE cars will only be sold for special needs or will be dumped in the poorest countries.  The carnage among the old ICE vehicle makers will make Wall Street analysts and ICE manufactures stock owners weep.

* Urban EVs are small and have a short range on a charge.  They are perfect for taking the kids to and from school, grocery shopping, or commuting in a city to and from work but not for long trips so you just rent one for long trips.