No business sense

Sparktrader

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Most non brand name hotels really struggle to make money outside dec/jan. They need business from booking sites or goodwill. Thats why there are so many run down hotels.

And how many days of the year did you stay at the hotel in question ?

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Recently paid 650 each for 3 rooms online for hotel in CM, unexpectedly we needed onother room it was 800 for 2 nights the walk in price, i didn't argue it was just an extra 300 baht.

Hotel I used for years when I was in Bkk for uni lectures 450B with b'fast if book on line.

I knew the uni was paying direct to the hotel. After some years I accidentally discovered uni was paying 1,300 per night plus 100 per day for breakfast. 

Uni did some quick research and found a better hotel, closer to the campus (10 min walk) 450 incl b'fast. And 25% discount on any other meals, drinks.

And every Friday evening a garden BBQ for professors and prof. can invite up to 3 student, 100B each., food and 1 drink.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Hotel I used for years when I was in Bkk for uni lectures 450B with b'fast if book on line.

I knew the uni was paying direct to the hotel. After some years I accidentally discovered uni was paying 1,300 per night plus 100 per day for breakfast. 

Uni did some quick research and found a better hotel, closer to the campus (10 min walk) 450 incl b'fast. And 25% discount on any other meals, drinks.

And every Friday evening a garden BBQ for professors and prof. can invite up to 3 student, 100B each., food and 1 drink.

Yes good deal. Lots of hotels. Outside of peak season there is an over supply.

There are only a small percentage here who understand the value of both customer service and a long term customer. 

A funny anecdote. 

A fee years ago, I bought six bottle of soda water. The old guy told me I had to pay 5 baht deposit, per bottle. I said ok. Went back with my bottles later, and wanted to buy some more. He quoted me a price that did not take into account my 30 baht deposit. I said I get the deposit back, and then pay you for the water, right? He said no, you pay it, but I cannot credit you for it! I asked, so the deposit is one way? I would have been upset, if I was not laughing so hard. I said no, farang is one way, that way, and never come back. I took my bottles and left.

It was well worth it. Have been telling that story to my friends for years. We all love it!

I have had hundreds of these kinds of encounters here in LOS. Always amazed by them. There is a complete disregard for the future, for future patronage, for the idea of loyalty, and rewarding you for such. It has happened with merchants I had been dealing with for years. Over tiny amounts of money. Of course, they lose me for life. But, they do not seem to care one iota.

I am a business owner. I will do nearly anything to retain a loyal customer. Whatever it takes. A full refund, an exchange, just tell me what you want. Here? None of that. Tomorrow? Why think about tomorrow, when I can make an extra 30 baht today?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Not in Thailand. The pricing structure is all over the place. Some hotels cheaper online, some cheaper in person, some the same.

Many discount for stays of 2,3,4 nights some dont.

I went to a hotel low season 3500 baht walk in, online 1400 baht. Hotel was almost empty.

Half the staff dont know what to do.

Same in most countries. Expedia for eg can often be cheaper than in person at the hotel. Even at family type guesthouses.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Quite correct, however, you saying another poster knows nothing about Thailand is a bit rich coming from someone who joined this forum less than two years ago.

Got around to reading your own OP yet, or just don't want to admit you were wrong?

I just want to say I'm sure many on here have been members way before the last time they signed up. I know I was.

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Wrong about what? I made no mention of condos. You made up a story about condos. Hotels arent condos.

You're the one who is wrong. This topic has nothing to do with condos.

Another expert at begging the question. I will leave it to other posters to decide who is wrong, or whether what I have posted is relevant, if they can be bothered to follow our rather tortuous exchange.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Over tiny amounts of money. Of course, they lose me for life. But, they do not seem to care one iota.

Exactly. Give a little away retain customer for 10 years. That customer tells others.

Thats how you run a business. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What are the commission rates for Booking.com? Booking.com commission rate varies between 10% to 25% depending on the location of your property and your cancellation policy. On average, it is about 15%.

https://prenohq.com/blog/ota-commission-rates-expedia-booking-com-more/#:~:text=What are the commission rates,%2C it is about 15%.

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

800 baht less 15% is 680 baht

Give me room for 700 baht they make more and retain repeat customer

No business sense. I blame the mgmt not the staff. No training. 

Next June they will be crying poor. 

Who will be crying poor. the staff, the management? I don't think they are even a part of the picture.  Follow the money and look for who the owner/s might be then get back to us.  If it is a cheap hotel owned by 1 person who never re-invests the profits back into the business and so on then the owner is obviously making money after a certain point, and better yet is the hotel truly registered as a hotel with the government or is it seen as a guest house and therefore one of the hundreds of unregistered locations. Better check also to see if they have done a TM-30 for your short stay.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Who will be crying poor. the staff, the management? I don't think they are even a part of the picture.  Follow the money and look for who the owner/s might be then get back to us.  If it is a cheap hotel owned by 1 person who never re-invests the profits back into the business and so on then the owner is obviously making money after a certain point, and better yet is the hotel truly registered as a hotel with the government or is it seen as a guest house and therefore one of the hundreds of unregistered locations. Better check also to see if they have done a TM-30 for your short stay.

Hotel not guesthouse. Lack of staff training is common. Common in west too. Go to Red Rooster. Half the time they dont put serviettes in bag. Are you supposed to wipe your hands on your shirt? 

Dentists and doctors are good here though.

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Hotel not guesthouse. Lack of staff training is common. Common in west too. Go to Red Rooster. Half the time they dont put serviettes in bag. Are you supposed to wipe your hands on your shirt? 

Dentists and doctors are good here though.

Some 20 year old kid at Red Rooster, an Australian chicken take away shop, forgot to give you a napkin and it still irks you. 

Hotels are busy places and they can't constantly monitor patronage and adjust prices accordingly to maximise dollars. Hotel managers wouldn't have the time or inclination to be negotiating prices customer to customer, for short stays, like a market stall selling T Shirts. 

I must admit I have picked certain times to travel based on seasons - why not travel May or October where 2000 to 2500 baht a night gets you 5 star in Koh Chang and the weather's still pretty good rather than go in April or November. Too much sunshine not good for my complexion. Maybe you forgot about high season and that is what irks you. 

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Some 20 year old kid at Red Rooster, an Australian chicken take away shop, forgot to give you a napkin and it still irks you. 

Hotels are busy places and they can't constantly monitor patronage and adjust prices accordingly to maximise dollars. Hotel managers wouldn't have the time or inclination to be negotiating prices customer to customer, for short stays, like a market stall selling T Shirts. 

I must admit I have picked certain times to travel based on seasons - why not travel May or October where 2000 to 2500 baht a night gets you 5 star in Koh Chang and the weather's still pretty good rather than go in April or November. Too much sunshine not good for my complexion. Maybe you forgot about high season and that is what irks you. 

Lots of Phuket hotels have kept their prices the same this week. I did a search. And if booking sites take 15% why would you not do deals in person? Last week they did a deal. Is it magically 50% more busy than 3 days ago? No it is not. 

Speaking of Chang, the staff at one hotel had a price sheet written in pencil with minimum prices. She had it in front of her. I saw the minimum so asked for that price.

Poor customer service isnt a one off napkin. It happens 50% of the time.

Edited by Sparktrader

13 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Exactly. Give a little away retain customer for 10 years. That customer tells others.

Thats how you run a business. 

But...... you were very reluctant to "tell others" about your little secret find, Lub D.

And by the way, have you checked their current prices ????

I was staying for $36 a night in Nimman (booked well in advance), and when I wanted to stay on, it had doubled. And then I paid it. I certainly could have moved nearby to a less nice hotel, but I didn't. My wife is not well, so I just sucked up that extra $108 like a man. I felt no need to cross examine the desk clerk, or counter-offer.  Frankly, $36 for this room was a steal. If I average out the two prices, I still got a deal.

My experience this trip over is that in nice places, bargaining at the front desk doesn't get you much. I got a 20% discount in one place by staying 10 days, but it required a phone call to the home office. At another, they tossed in a free breakfast. It doesn't seem like the front desk people are empowered to discount much and getting in front of someone who can is usually not possible.

They know what they can get from algorithms and experience and I can hardly blame them for trying to get it. The idea of a good hotel bending over backwards to come out 20 baht ahead is preposterous. On their side of things, customer loyalty is non-existent. People book based on price, not warm, fuzzy feelings. I do too.

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I was staying for $36 a night in Nimman (booked well in advance), and when I wanted to stay on, it had doubled. And then I paid it. I certainly could have moved nearby to a less nice hotel, but I didn't. My wife is not well, so I just sucked up that extra $108 like a man. I felt no need to cross examine the desk clerk, or counter-offer.  Frankly, $36 for this room was a steal. If I average out the two prices, I still got a deal.

My experience this trip over is that in nice places, bargaining at the front desk doesn't get you much. I got a 20% discount in one place by staying 10 days, but it required a phone call to the home office. At another, they tossed in a free breakfast. It doesn't seem like the front desk people are empowered to discount much and getting in front of someone who can is usually not possible.

They know what they can get from algorithms and experience and I can hardly blame them for trying to get it. The idea of a good hotel bending over backwards to come out 20 baht ahead is preposterous. On their side of things, customer loyalty is non-existent. People book based on price, not warm, fuzzy feelings. I do too.

I get deals face to face half the time. Normally i wouldnt move but had to buy glasses, go dr and dentist so wanted to save a bit.

22 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Lots of Phuket hotels have kept their prices the same this week. I did a search. And if booking sites take 15% why would you not do deals in person? Last week they did a deal. Is it magically 50% more busy than 3 days ago? No it is not. 

Speaking of Chang, the staff at one hotel had a price sheet written in pencil with minimum prices. She had it in front of her. I saw the minimum so asked for that price.

Poor customer service isnt a one off napkin. It happens 50% of the time.

Complaining about hotels in Phuket 555555555555555555

I'd never go back to that <deleted><deleted> even if I could.

It may also be down to the class of the hotel. When I stayed at the funky old Business Inn on Soi 11 off Suk Road, I could get a deal (the usual 20%). 

Here at the De Chai Oriental Hotel in Nimman with a pool on the roof, they are much less forthcoming. In fact, rates have gone up again since I re-booked. Many people here noted here that places like The 4 Seasons in Chiang Rai never lowered their rates even at the height of Covid.

Nimman had pretty full bars and restaurants on Halloween. With Loy Krotong coming up, I couldn't even get into my first 3 choices in The Old City of Chiang Mai. The place I booked for $26 a night 2 weeks ago now wants an extra tenner.

Consider a holiday in Siem Reap. Hotels there are about 80% empty. Our driver there said the walk-in discount was 50%. I never saw a place so dead. I spent 3 hours at Angkor Wat and saw maybe 4 other people.

To save money, you gotta go to a place where nobody wants to go -which I understand is a you-favorite thing to do.

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

It may also be down to the class of the hotel. When I stayed at the funky old Business Inn on Soi 11 off Suk Road, I could get a deal (the usual 20%). 

Here at the De Chai Oriental Hotel in Nimman with a pool on the roof, they are much less forthcoming. In fact, rates have gone up again since I re-booked. Many people here noted here that places like The 4 Seasons in Chiang Rai never lowered their rates even at the height of Covid.

Nimman had pretty full bars and restaurants on Halloween. With Loy Krotong coming up, I couldn't even get into my first 3 choices in The Old City of Chiang Mai. The place I booked for $26 a night 2 weeks ago now wants an extra tenner.

Consider a holiday in Siem Reap. Hotels there are about 80% empty. Our driver there said the walk-in discount was 50%. I never saw a place so dead. I spent 3 hours at Angkor Wat and saw maybe 4 other people.

To save money, you gotta go to a place where nobody wants to go -which I understand is a you-favorite thing to do.

Siem Reap is well known. You need to target guesthouses or bungalows or non brand name hotels. Brand names have fixed policies.