Are you sometimes lured by the mystique of the Tattoo? Can you take the pain?

GammaGlobulin

I got my mid-sized tattoo on my upper back about 15 years ago and still like it. I'd like another couple on the shoulders but I've got more important things to be spending my money on. Regarding pain, for about 2 hours or so it was nothing, I mean nothing. As I was approaching the 4th hour mark though it became very painful. It could have been due to the time or that it was filling (more needles) on/around the spine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

Come on then lets see the pics and let the jury decide, why people want to ink themselves over with <deleted> I will never understand. Some things need to be hated, tattoos are up there. Might be something to do with narcissism, Jobs would fit with that. 

Guess I fit that moniker then as well as I also own an MG which you also detest.  So your batting .000, As I am far from an idiot, am wealthy, and now have one of those LTR Visas for 10 years which you also think are a waste, or am I wrong....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess I fit that moniker then as well as I also own an MG which you also detest.  So your batting .000, As I am far from an idiot, am wealthy, and now have one of those LTR Visas for 10 years which you also think are a waste, or am I wrong....

Wealthy are not immune to being stupid or scribbling pointless tattoos over themselves to impress nobody. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, proton said:

Wealthy are not immune to being stupid or scribbling pointless tattoos over themselves to impress nobody. 

So a tattoo in your view is designed by the wearer to impress someone,.....that is laughable.  As I said my tattoos stay covered up they are for me as they mean something to me and were never inked to impress others or gain attention.  Your view is tainted my man.  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Maybe, but wouldn't they have looked even better without?

Depends on how the tattoo adds to their overall beauty, sure some are tasteless but many are done very tastefully, and enhanced the beauty.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There are only two types of people...

People who divide people into 2 types and people who don't... 

Funny post ! This does comprize the whole of humanity since both conditions are fully excluding themselves and comprize everybody leaving no room for a third category. So you are in the group 1 - people that divide people into 2 types as you state yourself in the first sentence.

What did you actually mean to say ? Well, never mind. ????

• Haha 2

There sure are some Intolerant, Bigoted, Arrogant and Ignorant posters in this - as many - threads.

Judging people on appearances only, or what they wear.

I ..., and anybody who does otherwise is a ...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

exactly what I said...

???? "Mia san Mia" (Bayuvarian German dialect) then (If you would be a Bayern Munich fan). Let's leave it at that on the logical level shall we ? However, I dont like Tatoos - exept the religious ones - so far for the topic.

1 minute ago, hellohello123 said:

I find white people who get chinese/japanese characters to be ridiculous.

But it's their body  so none of my business

Have you ever seen an Asian person get the word "fish" or "tree" tatooed in English?????

So anyone who gets a Thai 5 line Sak Yant tattoo on their body is ridiculous?

Angelina Jolie - Temporary Tattoo - Sak Yant Ha Teaw - Fake Tattoos - Thai - Buddhist - Hindu ...

So a person whose religion is Buddhism, even thought they may be white, is ridiculous in your view.  Having spent time as a Monk myself I find your view very insulting.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

We always knew that Yale was a school for water buffalo (kwai)...

image.jpeg.a39803950cb12f17a75fb4eeb7238da7.jpeg

Throughout my life, I have never worn some working-class type of branding, such as you see here at Yale.

He thinks he is Hot Stuff, just because he has a big Y.

But, this is just a signal of this boy's stupidity.

No genius would ever stoop to such a nadir.

Stop with the branding, be it on your skin, or just wearing a shirt with a company brand.

Why do you insist upon acting like cattle?

Well, he's on the Yale track team, so I suppose he was required to wear the uniform to compete.

When I played sports in university they also made me wear a uniform. It helped the quarterback find me in the endzone, and the point guard to find me on the baseline for a jumper.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I never ever have been.

As you get older most will regret it. 

But to each his own. 

Regret what? Getting a tattoo.....I regret many things but not getting my Tattoo's as they have true meaning and importance behind them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

So anyone who gets a Thai 5 line Sak Yant tattoo on their body is ridiculous?

Angelina Jolie - Temporary Tattoo - Sak Yant Ha Teaw - Fake Tattoos - Thai - Buddhist - Hindu ...

So a person whose religion is Buddhism, even thought they may be white, is ridiculous in your view.  Having spent time as a Monk myself I find your view very insulting.

Having been a Theravadan monk, I find Sak Yant and other 'protection' tats to be in the realm of superstition that have absolutely nothing to do with Theravada Buddhism.  The fact that monks make money by promoting that superstitious clap-trap is even worse.  That superstitious behavior promoted by some 'monks' discounts and demeans the religion as a whole.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

I find white people who get chinese/japanese characters to be ridiculous.

But it's their body  so none of my business

Have you ever seen an Asian person get the word "fish" or "tree" tatooed in English?????

Friend of mine had his name in Chinese writing on his arm, it actually said 'chicken fried rice and a portion of chips'.

• Haha 1

No not really, got drunk and had my hair dyed once but a permanent body marking is a step too far. No idea what i would have and my opinions views change over the years.

I find them a good marker for the type of person that has them for eg any lady with an inspirational quote, is generally best left alone......

If your ever in Hua hin and meet lady with 'love me for who i am' on her arm.....then run a mile!

Generally in life what ever people tend to project is the actual opposite of their true thoughts.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, connda said:

Having been a Theravadan monk, I find Sak Yant and other 'protection' tats to be in the realm of superstition that have absolutely nothing to do with Theravada Buddhism.  The fact that monks make money by promoting that superstitious clap-trap is even worse.  That superstitious behavior promoted by some 'monks' discounts and demeans the religion as a whole.. 

There are Theravadin Monks and Buddhist Monks here in Thailand along with many other classifications of Theravadin Monks like the Forest Monks and so on.  Best you do some more research on Theravadin Monks and Tattoo's and the origin.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Buddhism_vs_Theravada

https://www.thai.tattoo/sak-yant/

Yantra designs go back to the days of Brahmins in India. The concept of sacred geometry stems from this Indian past, as does the use of Hindu deities such as Hanuman.

You’ll be surprised to learn the influence India has had on Thailand. Thailand’s national epic is actually a Thai re-telling of the major Sanskrit legend, the Ramayana.

Edited by ThailandRyan

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Nor have I seen anyone sporting a tattoo from Bergen-Belsen.

So, you are saying that a tattoo not only disfigures, but it hurts too - - - and then you have to pay for it? 

Yes, I have seen a few concentration camp tattoos in my day... 

Well when I had the Sak Yant Gao Yord tattooed at the top of my back by a highly respected monk tattooist outside of Chiang Mai…. Yes, it was painful….perhaps because he is tattooing you right over your backbone vertebra. He was using Khem Sak…. A long brass or bronze rod with a double pointed spike in it.  It was all Thais there.  I was the only Farang. There with my Thai friends. 
  If I had known how painful it was going to be, I never would have started. First time I had a tattoo in my life, at age 61. 
   Crazy thing is….a few days later I wanted more.  Ended up with nine Sak Yant tattoos from the monk… with the prayers and blessings and sprinkling …..  I am a Buddhist also.  Having gone for Refuge in the Triple Gem and taken the Five Precepts with the head abbot and monks at a Khmer Krom Theravada Temple. 
  Namo Buddhaya. ???????? ???????? ????????   ☸️