Help Needed with Portable Internet Access info

Joeski

17 hours ago, Joeski said:

Someone I met recommended getting a portable internet router from AIS for about 3,000 baht. Never used a portable internet router before. Are these any good.

I have one as backbone to the fiber, it works fine. The speed is depending on if you have 5G in the area or only 4G. The little AIS router I have, has both WiFi and RJ45 connection...:thumbsup:

Edit: For the order of good sake I should add that it's not a pocket device, but a desktop thing, Mine is the 4G version that looks like this...

9a076abe695c7840ff9445c1b3e7bcf8

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I have one as backbone to the fiber, it works fine. The speed is depending on if you have 5G in the area or only 4G. The little AIS router I have, has both WiFi and RJ45 connection...:thumbsup:

Edit: For the order of good sake I should add that it's not a pocket device, but a desktop thing, Mine is the 4G version that looks like this...

9a076abe695c7840ff9445c1b3e7bcf8

khunPer, what internet speed do you normally get with the 4G service and have you got any idea the speeds with the 5G service?

20 hours ago, Joeski said:

Fdsa, I havent got a budget. I was recommended to purchase the AIS portable router for 3,000 Baht. I am looking to get the best internet service. What is your favourite brand models?

Huawei - powerful, customizable, reliable. For example, B715 model is category 9 device (capable of 3x carrier aggregation) and has external antenna ports for a better network coverage.

*NOTE: Huawei is a leader in mobile networking only, anything else other than 3G routers made by Huawei is utter cr'ap.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

I should of included in my original post that I need speeds of 100mps. I will be using the internet connection for daytrading and at the weekend I want to stream live sports. Alot of post are mentioning speeds of 10mps. I am not sure if this will be possible to get 100mps in thailand from a portable router. I havent got a budget so the costs is not a problem if the internet service is good.

I just use an unlimited SIM from AIS in my phone as a hot spot. Bought it a while back on Shopee and it offers unlimited access for 300THB /month. It was advertised as 10mbps speed limited but every speed test I do is over 50mbps. Keep the SIM balance below a threshold so as to only use it when needed. I have had the SIM over 2 years now and don't need it every month, an pay nothing when not in use except a small top up to keep number active occasionally. Cannot see any point in buying any router hardware when the phone does the job for you already.

I do not know your trading strategies but usually for trading one needs a fast internet responce instead of high internet speeds, so a wireless internet is not a good idea because it adds 50-100 extra ms to the ping time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I do not know your trading strategies but usually for trading one needs a fast internet responce instead of high internet speeds, so a wireless internet is not a good idea because it adds 50-100 extra ms to the ping time.

An extra 50-100 extra ms isnt a problem as all my orders are limit orders. In an ideal world I wouldnt be using wireless if the property owner who owns the bungalow had a decent broadband service. As I said before I am only there for 30 days so if I can get a good portable service I will go for that option.

21 hours ago, Joeski said:

khunPer, what internet speed do you normally get with the 4G service and have you got any idea the speeds with the 5G service?

I haven't measured it, but enough for the girl's Youtube and Netflix streaming, and my news-reading and little online work. AIS states it's from 2-4 Mbps with 4G, but it really depends on where in the huge World you are connecting to, some places can be slow even with a thick fiber.

AIS states up to 2Gbps for their 5G network.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

I haven't measured it, but enough for the girl's Youtube and Netflix streaming, and my news-reading and little online work. AIS states it's from 2-4 Mbps with 4G, but it really depends on where in the huge World you are connecting to, some places can be slow even with a thick fiber.

AIS states up to 2Gbps for their 5G network.

Thanks Buddy for the info.

• Thanks 1