Help Needed with Portable Internet Access info

Joeski

Hi All, Great forum by the way. I have rented a bungalow in Rawai for 1 month and the property owner told me the internet service was good before I booked it. Turns out the internet service is not very good. I am on vacation for 2 months but still need to log in and do 3-4 hours a day work on my laptop. Someone I met recommended getting a portable internet router from AIS for about 3,000 baht. Never used a portable internet router before. Are these any good. If I was staying at the bungalow for longer I would just pay to get this service upgraded.

Edited by Joeski

I used to use one in Indonesia but not here so cannot recommend a network supplier but it did work for me downloading movie torrents. Cost will be based on data usage. Where you get the actual device in Phuket i don't know. But in theory any local mobile phone shop should have one. For reference On Lazada the devices are between 1600 and 2400 baht. 

Depending what you do for work speed maybe an issue.

Yes I believe AIS has data only SIM but all networks probably do. 

Using you phone as a hotspot will work but uses a lot of battery.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

A "pocket wi-fi" devices are not very good as they have small antennas because of their size, I recommend buying a full-size 4G router instead. Unfortunately my favourite brand models are well above your budget so wait for other recommendations, some people say TP-Link 4G routers are ok.

or search this subforum: https://aseannow.com/forum/146-mobile-devices-apps/

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, fdsa said:

A "pocket wi-fi" devices are not very good as they have small antennas because of their size, I recommend buying a full-size 4G router instead. Unfortunately my favourite brand models are well above your budget so wait for other recommendations, some people say TP-Link 4G routers are ok.

or search this subforum: https://aseannow.com/forum/146-mobile-devices-apps/

Fdsa, I havent got a budget. I was recommended to purchase the AIS portable router for 3,000 Baht. I am looking to get the best internet service. What is your favourite brand models?

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

If you look on shopee or lazada you can buy a True Move 10Mbps unlimited data sim for about 1000 baht.  It is good for 1 year.  Just put it in you phone and open wifi hotspot and log in with your laptop via wifi.  

Not wanting to steal the posters forum, but I am interested in getting Wi-Fi when I leave the house, e.g. I only have internet when I am at home and seldom have the need for Wi-Fi when I am out, but now trying to keep up with technology and having to us apps, I will need to see what I can do about paying for data so I have Wi-Fi when I leave the house.

I like the sound of 1,000 baht for 1 year for 10Mbps, however I have always been worried about losing my number, so one of my questions is, would I have to give up my number, I am have been with True Move for years.

The other questions is, will I need to use a separate sim, as I have 2 sims at the moment, one is for her and the other for overseas, that said, I suppose I could take out the overseas sim when leaving the house and putting in the new one, but that would be a pain.

If there is such a thing like buying data without having to change sims or losing my number, I would like to be brought up to speed, and yes, I know, slower than a snail, but I like it that way, except for when I leave my cave and go into the real world.

Caveman Puzzled by Modern Phone Ringing Stock Illustration - Illustration  of history, cell: 44161925

14 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You can buy a pocket wifi from AIS for about 1500 baht, as I did a few days ago, supports multiple devices

how are you finding this?

i am thinking to get the same, but the speed needs to be good enough so that I an use my vpnuk for streaming Eurosport.  As you will know, when using vpn the speed drops a lot.

do you ever use a vpn, and if so, was the speed enough?

AIS shop told me that normal speed is between 20 and 30 Mbps

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not wanting to steal the posters forum, but I am interested in getting Wi-Fi when I leave the house, e.g. I only have internet when I am at home and seldom have the need for Wi-Fi when I am out, but now trying to keep up with technology and having to us apps, I will need to see what I can do about paying for data so I have Wi-Fi when I leave the house.

I like the sound of 1,000 baht for 1 year for 10Mbps, however I have always been worried about losing my number, so one of my questions is, would I have to give up my number, I am have been with True Move for years.

The other questions is, will I need to use a separate sim, as I have 2 sims at the moment, one is for her and the other for overseas, that said, I suppose I could take out the overseas sim when leaving the house and putting in the new one, but that would be a pain.

If there is such a thing like buying data without having to change sims or losing my number, I would like to be brought up to speed, and yes, I know, slower than a snail, but I like it that way, except for when I leave my cave and go into the real world.

Caveman Puzzled by Modern Phone Ringing Stock Illustration - Illustration  of history, cell: 44161925

You should go to True and ask them for an addon internet package to your SIM.

Better yet. Seeing as these companies are always offering deals, just ask them to look at your current package and see if they have any better deals that include internet access for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Better yet. Seeing as these companies are always offering deals, just ask them to look at your current package and see if they have any better deals that include internet access for you.

I don't have a package, only use phone for calls, and when at home use the Wi-Fi from the 3BB router for internet, and when I go out and require internet the wife will provide me with free Wi-Fi for the day so that she can send me pics of what she requires, if I'm not sure (shopping), no, she doesn't have me well trained, I just find it's cheaper if I do the shopping, in and out in less than an hour vs checking every shelf of every isle for 4 hours and walking out with much more than wanted ????

I have always been the one not wanting Wi-Fi as I don't use it when out and about, that said as mentioned earlier, technology has caught up with me with banking apps, and others, so it's like the old saying goes; swim or drown.

As you suggested I will go into True and see what they offer as an add on and go from there.

Backstroke Finish Rule Needs Change After Justin Ress DQ Ordeal

Edited by 4MyEgo

26 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't have a package, only use phone for calls, and when at home use the Wi-Fi from the 3BB router for internet, and when I go out and require internet the wife will provide me with free Wi-Fi for the day so that she can send me pics of what she requires, if I'm not sure (shopping), no, she doesn't have me well trained, I just find it's cheaper if I do the shopping, in and out in less than an hour vs checking every shelf of every isle for 4 hours and walking out with much more than wanted ????

I have always been the one not wanting Wi-Fi as I don't use it when out and about, that said as mentioned earlier, technology has caught up with me with banking apps, and others, so it's like the old saying goes; swim or drown.

As you suggested I will go into True and see what they offer as an add on and go from there.

No need to purchase extra sims and whatever - if you are going to be using wifi in public areas like a shopping mall or supermarket there is a good chance that 3BB has a wifi hotspot. I don’t use it but I gather it’s free to home internet customers.

https://fiber.3bb.co.th/en/ช่วยเหลือ/3bb-wifi/

worthwhile following the instructions and having a scan when you are in places - for sure bigc, central, global will have a 3BB hotspot. 

PS how much do you spend on phone credit every month? I never regret getting a post pay contract package, you save a bit on not going to 7-11 and buying credit and some snacks and whatever at the same time as topup (not too sure if that’s still a thing, but that was my driving force for moving to post pay) 

Edited by recom273
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have found my AIS plan allows my GPS to function throughout Thailand. It includes unlimited wifi access. But that is the limit to my experience as I am not working online.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

how are you finding this?

i am thinking to get the same, but the speed needs to be good enough so that I an use my vpnuk for streaming Eurosport.  As you will know, when using vpn the speed drops a lot.

do you ever use a vpn, and if so, was the speed enough?

AIS shop told me that normal speed is between 20 and 30 Mbps

Works well, no problems

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

No need to purchase extra sims and whatever - if you are going to be using wifi in public areas like a shopping mall or supermarket there is a good chance that 3BB has a wifi hotspot. I don’t use it but I gather it’s free to home internet customers.

https://fiber.3bb.co.th/en/ช่วยเหลือ/3bb-wifi/

worthwhile following the instructions and having a scan when you are in places - for sure bigc, central, global will have a 3BB hotspot. 

PS how much do you spend on phone credit every month? I never regret getting a post pay contract package, you save a bit on not going to 7-11 and buying credit and some snacks and whatever at the same time as topup (not too sure if that’s still a thing, but that was my driving force for moving to post pay) 

Thank for that, I will look into this, that said, my wife says to NEVER use Wi-Fi in public areas as they are unsecure, for me personally, I have no idea, perhaps she is referring to when doing withdrawals from the banking app, I don't know, as I am well behind the times as mentioned. Even as recent as staying in a hotel with free Wi-Fi, she said don't use it and let me piggyback from her internet using hotspot, just for doing normal stuff on the internet, no banking, is she right ?

I don't really have an amount that I spend on credit every month, I just top up online via my bank on my laptop, usually 1,000 baht as I do make some overseas calls to clients every now and again, as I use messenger or Line or WhatsApp to talk to friends overseas. 

I will look at your link and the 3BB situation thanks, just not sure if shopping centre Wi-Fi and hotel Wi Fi is safe, others  say it is, wife says it's not, but is that only for banking or can others see what your doing, not that I care, but if it's for banking, that's a no brainer.

50 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Works well, no problems

sorry, i wrote wrong.  I am not looking to get the pocket wifi.

AIS do a WIFI router that has antenna on it, and you can plug into it using LAN if necessary.

I think they said it is 2,400 baht for a year.

this is the one i want to try.

I have been watching stuff ok with Hotspot from my phone on my tv, Motogp channel for eg, but its not up to the task when i go to vpnuk to watch Eurosport. 

So this is why i want to try the AIS wifi router............do you have the router, or the pocket wifi?

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thank for that, I will look into this, that said, my wife says to NEVER use Wi-Fi in public areas as they are unsecure, for me personally, I have no idea, perhaps she is referring to when doing withdrawals from the banking app, I don't know, as I am well behind the times as mentioned. Even as recent as staying in a hotel with free Wi-Fi, she said don't use it and let me piggyback from her internet using hotspot, just for doing normal stuff on the internet, no banking, is she right ?

I don't really have an amount that I spend on credit every month, I just top up online via my bank on my laptop, usually 1,000 baht as I do make some overseas calls to clients every now and again, as I use messenger or Line or WhatsApp to talk to friends overseas. 

I will look at your link and the 3BB situation thanks, just not sure if shopping centre Wi-Fi and hotel Wi Fi is safe, others  say it is, wife says it's not, but is that only for banking or can others see what your doing, not that I care, but if it's for banking, that's a no brainer.

Lol - you wife is prolly a wise woman.

I don’t use public wifi, I have my data plan.

if you spend 1000thb a month - give your provider a call, see what they can offer, they all have a special number that gives discount overseas calls. You might find it easier and cheaper to get a post pay package. I never regretted it, but I figure “pay-as-you-go” is a good way to keep overseas calls in check.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Even though this poster has a history of bagging my comments I will help him out. 

Thanks for the information, appreciated, as for me bagging your comments, that would be a rare, perhaps differences of opinions, no offence should be taken, and personally I can't recall bagging your comments, as I said, I rarely have differences of opinions with other posters, albeit it there is one or two, but I don't have a little black book.

FYI: As of this morning, wife has found a yearly add on with True for something like 1,980 baht per annum which sounds like the way to go, and as for hard line internet with 3BB, it works well for me the wife and the kids for watching Netflix, kids playing with their iPads, Tablets and me on the laptop as mobile screens are far to small for me to spend hours on.

Again, thanks for your input, and never hold a grudge towards another posted, call it water off a ducks back, the ones that really got under my skin in the past got blocked, easily done, suffice to say, as you haven't blocked me, I would say it would have been a mild bagging ?

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Even as recent as staying in a hotel with free Wi-Fi, she said don't use it and let me piggyback from her internet using hotspot, just for doing normal stuff on the internet, no banking, is she right ?

No. All banking apps and websites use TLS (usually over HTTPS) with modern cryptographic algorithms. Even in the unlikely scenario where someone IS monitoring your communications, all they will be able to see is useless encrypted data. They will be able to know that you are communicating with your bank, but they won't be able to see any actual data passing between your device and the bank. 

Some people preach in favor of VPNs, which add another layer of security before HTTPS, but it is unnecessary from a pure security standpoint (the equivalent of having sex wearing a hazmat suit in addition to a condom). VPNs are useful for other things like faking your location, etc.

99% of account takeovers happen due to phishing or insecure client devices (as in the attacker has full access to your device, making MiTM communication monitoring unnecessary). In both of those cases it doesn't matter what kind of communication method you use (mobile, wire, satellite, smoke signals).

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You could also check out the other providers. They might offer a better deal. You should still be able to keep your current number when changing to AIS or DTAC.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for the information, appreciated, as for me bagging your comments, that would be a rare, perhaps differences of opinions, no offence should be taken, and personally I can't recall bagging your comments, as I said, I rarely have differences of opinions with other posters, albeit it there is one or two, but I don't have a little black book.

FYI: As of this morning, wife has found a yearly add on with True for something like 1,980 baht per annum which sounds like the way to go, and as for hard line internet with 3BB, it works well for me the wife and the kids for watching Netflix, kids playing with their iPads, Tablets and me on the laptop as mobile screens are far to small for me to spend hours on.

Again, thanks for your input, and never hold a grudge towards another posted, call it water off a ducks back, the ones that really got under my skin in the past got blocked, easily done, suffice to say, as you haven't blocked me, I would say it would have been a mild bagging ?

This is True's latest sim card offering.  15mbps unlimited for 1 year.  Great deal. 1790 baht and it will be delivered overnight to your house and take you 5 minutes to register it online with the vendor:

https://shopee.co.th/Thor-เลือกเบอร์-❇️-ชุด4-ซิมเทพธอร์-15mbps-ไม่ลดสปีด-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1ปี-โทรในเครือข่าย-Sim-True-ซิมทรู-ซิมรายปี-A-lot-i.240855998.3671228752

I have bought unlimited cards from this vendor in the past.  No problems and speak English in the chat so easy to register online.

Regarding staring at small screens.....do you understand that you can put the sim card in your phone and then connect it to your laptop or PC via wifi and then watch or work on your computer screen.

Also take care with the details of ALL of the add on packages.  None that I know of are truly unlimited and will have a data cap and after you use that cap it will throttle the speed for the remainder of the month.

The data sim I have linked to is truly unlimited.  You can download as much as you want but the speed is limited to 15mbps which is more than enough.  Years ago they offered just 1mbps sims and that was still sufficient for me to live stream movies online.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

Regarding staring at small screens.....do you understand that you can put the sim card in your phone and then connect it to your laptop or PC via wifi and then watch or work on your computer screen.

Told you I was behind the times....LOL

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Told you I was behind the times....LOL

You can tether your smart phone to your computer by creating a hotspot in your phone settings which basically turns your phone into a wifi router.  You long into your computer and search for available wifi connection and your phone will show up.  You connect to it and your done.

You can also tether you phone to your computer by usb cable (same cable you charge your phone with).  Easy also...just google "tether your android phone to your computer".

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You can tether your smart phone to your computer by creating a hotspot in your phone settings which basically turns your phone into a wifi router.  You long into your computer and search for available wifi connection and your phone will show up.  You connect to it and your done.

You can also tether you phone to your computer by usb cable (same cable you charge your phone with).  Easy also...just google "tether your android phone to your computer".

I think that's all good if you don't have kids chewing the internet from watching Netflix and playing iPads and Tablets.

To keep my same number looks like I will have to go with the unlimited True package with 1Mbps which I believe will be enough for me to use Bank Apps, Messenger, Line and WhatsApp when I am away from the house, and maybe a little YouTube or Google to find something that I might want when away from my laptop.

But I hear you load and clear, so for me I believe the best option for me is to get the 12 month add on with my existing number for 1,800 baht + VAT.

I need the same number for texts from overseas which give me bank codes and other codes to identify myself, trying to tell them that I have changed my mobile number from here is like trying to catch a rocket to the moon and it cannot be done online, tried it before and I had to wait 45 minutes on the phone to talk to a real person.

The above is affordable for me and should work well, thanks for all of your information and others, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

sorry, i wrote wrong.  I am not looking to get the pocket wifi.

AIS do a WIFI router that has antenna on it, and you can plug into it using LAN if necessary.

I think they said it is 2,400 baht for a year.

this is the one i want to try.

I have been watching stuff ok with Hotspot from my phone on my tv, Motogp channel for eg, but its not up to the task when i go to vpnuk to watch Eurosport. 

So this is why i want to try the AIS wifi router............do you have the router, or the pocket wifi?

Device has two antenna and LAN port if needed. Don't recall exact price but about 1500 baht.

Edited by simple1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think that's all good if you don't have kids chewing the internet from watching Netflix and playing iPads and Tablets.

To keep my same number looks like I will have to go with the unlimited True package with 1Mbps which I believe will be enough for me to use Bank Apps, Messenger, Line and WhatsApp when I am away from the house, and maybe a little YouTube or Google to find something that I might want when away from my laptop.

But I hear you load and clear, so for me I believe the best option for me is to get the 12 month add on with my existing number for 1,800 baht + VAT.

I need the same number for texts from overseas which give me bank codes and other codes to identify myself, trying to tell them that I have changed my mobile number from here is like trying to catch a rocket to the moon and it cannot be done online, tried it before and I had to wait 45 minutes on the phone to talk to a real person.

The above is affordable for me and should work well, thanks for all of your information and others, much appreciated.

Ok.  This is my last post so read carefully.  You are wasting my time because you are either not reading what I write or you are too dull to understand.

1. Your android phone has two sim card slots.

2. In slot number one you leave your old original sim card that you continue to receive your bank sms etc like you always have.

3. You put the new unlimited data sim in the second sim card slot on your phone.

4.  In your settings on you phone you tell it that data will be taken from the sim card in slot number 2 (the unlimited data sim)

5. Your phone will function exactly as it has always done to receive sms phone calls etc.  But when you surf the net on you phone, or connect you phone to your computer to surf the net, the data will be drawn from sim card number 2 in your phone.  If you are online calls or sms will still arrive to your phone regardless of wether you are using the internet or not.

I am done.  If you can't understand the detailed posts I have made for you already it is better you go back to reading hardcopy books and abandon the internet entirely.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Ok.  This is my last post so read carefully.  You are wasting my time because you are either not reading what I write or you are too dull to understand.

1. Your android phone has two sim card slots.

2. In slot number one you leave your old original sim card that you continue to receive your bank sms etc like you always have.

3. You put the new unlimited data sim in the second sim card slot on your phone.

4.  In your settings on you phone you tell it that data will be taken from the sim card in slot number 2 (the unlimited data sim)

5. Your phone will function exactly as it has always done to receive sms phone calls etc.  But when you surf the net on you phone, or connect you phone to your computer to surf the net, the data will be drawn from sim card number 2 in your phone.  If you are online calls or sms will still arrive to your phone regardless of wether you are using the internet or not.

I am done.  If you can't understand the detailed posts I have made for you already it is better you go back to reading hardcopy books and abandon the internet entirely.

Your a funny guy, did you say I was bagging you in previous posts....LOL

No seriously, I really appreciate all your time and "frustrations", only one thing you overlooked I believe, i.e. yes I do have a dual sim mobile, I have a sim for overseas clients who call my number back in the old country which is on roaming and I get the call here, answer it and call them back from my Thai sim, e.g. I explain to them that I am here at the moment and will call them from a Thai number so they don't think it's a scammer calling them. Keeping the overseas number is a money maker so I can't take that sim out of my mobile, therefore it leaves me with the other sim (Thai) and not wanting to lose my Thai number for the overseas codes, I must retain that sim (number) and add internet to it as opposed to getting a new sim (number), it's a no brainer to me.

I think it's pretty clear what I have to do, and like I said, I appreciate all your efforts and getting your nickers in a knot.

That said, I see that I will have to continue to waste 632 baht per month on 3BB to provide me with internet at home for the kids, the wife, and myself on the laptop, i.e. if we don't want to lose our mobile numbers by getting new sims, so the wife and I have no option but to get the 1,800 baht + VAT internet add on's to our existing sims.

There is also one other thing if I went down your route, i.e. how would the kids get internet access when I'm not home and the mobile is with me, you must be single ?

As for reading hardcopy books, it's been a while, any suggestions ?

Have a good day ????