Asoke intersection to Khlong Toei in Bangkok to close to traffic Nov 14th-19th

webfact

image.jpeg

The road between the Asoke and Ratchadapisek-Khlong Toei intersections will be closed to traffic from November 14th through 19th, as part of the security and traffic management for the pre-APEC and APEC Summit at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre.

Residents living along both sides of the road and businesses whose establishments are located there will still be able to use the road during that period, but only with prior permission, which requires the completion of an application form, shown in a Google Form link, within today (Friday), according Pol Lt-Col Narongwit Sudkangwan, deputy superintendent of the traffic police at Thonglor police station.

In addition to name and ID card, he said that applicants must also provide details about the colour and type of their vehicle, their license plate number, images of the front, side and back of the vehicle and a copy of the vehicle registration book.

According to the police, there are also hotels, apartments, office buildings and condominiums along that 2km stretch of the road.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/asoke-intersection-to-khlong-toei-in-bangkok-to-close-to-traffic-nov-14th-19th/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the police, there are also hotels, apartments, office buildings and condominiums along that 2km stretch of the road.

Not just according to the police, but according to observable reality, as well! I lived there for a year without the police ever needing to inform me that my apartment building really existed. 

Which modern, civilized and developed country closes schools for half week and the dead center of its capital CBD for a conference? This dog and pony show could happen in dozens of US cities and the locals would barely notice. It's a fail before it's even started. As for the locals, workers - let them eat cake.

• Haha 1

Some old farts like me will remember a similar stint show. Remember the IMF congress in October 1991?

Schools were closed so "school children could enjoy the IMF congress as well" was the official wording. This time round, photos from the front and back of the car, colour, number of doors and wheels as well as the shoe size of the owner are being required.

My advice, leave town until those ever-so-important bigwigs as well as the even bigger-wigs of local government and administration had their climax. They, for sure, will be blowing their own trumpet once the dust has settled; what a farçe! 

28 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Not a big deal for residents.  Soi 16 runs parallel.

It is a big deal, that roads is a main thoroughfare in Bangkok

Everybody using that road will now be inconvenienced to benefit a few.

They could have held their important meeting at a venue outside Bangkok, that would have also injected some much-needed revenue into the outside Bangkok local economies.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Not a big deal for residents.  Soi 16 runs parallel.

Well you can only access soi 16 via the closed road. Alternatively from Rama 4. Going to be hell for me, just living on the opposite of the convention center.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 9:17 AM, Laphroaig27 said:

Which modern, civilized and developed country closes schools for half week and the dead center of its capital CBD for a conference? This dog and pony show could happen in dozens of US cities

That's why the meeting is in a civilized country like Thailand and not the USA. ????