Places To Buy Lamb, Etc?

brotherother

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Something wrong with Makro, or do you just enjoy paying more for the same product ?

It´s just that you are all wrong. There is something called a quality factor, that will disagree with calling it the same product.

I guess as always, you will get what you pay for. And if that factor does not bother you, then you can eat whatever.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s just that you are all wrong. There is something called a quality factor, that will disagree with calling it the same product.

I guess as always, you will get what you pay for. And if that factor does not bother you, then you can eat whatever.

I have to say that the lamb I’ve purchased from Makro, when they have it, has always been top quality, and I’ve brought a fair bit over the years.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

If there was one anywhere near me I might well visit Foodland.

I am very surprised to hear that there is sometimes no Foodland in the same vicinity as a Villa Market. But then I do not live in Bangkok and am mainly only around the lower Sukhumvit area when I do go there.

As others have mentioned Villa do (frozen) lamb chops, lamb shoulder and leg.  Sometimes they have lamb steaks.  But they are expensive.

The Accidental Butcher has amazing meat and it is fresh, not frozen.  I bought a fresh shoulder of lamb recently for 1,000 baht which is pretty good value and the meat was superb (a shoulder of lamb in Villa is closer to 1,200 baht and it is frozen).  They also do fresh lamb racks, fresh legs.  Also the staff are great and really know their stuff so you can ask them about the meat.  They supply a lot of restaurants.    https://www.theaccidentalbutcher.com/category/4660/lamb

Passion delivery also has a good selection.  I have never used them but they get great reviews.  https://passiondelivery.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=lamb

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I am very surprised to hear that there is sometimes no Foodland in the same vicinity as a Villa Market. But then I do not live in Bangkok and am mainly only around the lower Sukhumvit area when I do go there.

I do not live in Bangok either, where I live there are two Villas, a Lotus's, Big C, Tops, Makro and a Gourmet Market, but no Foodland.

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I do not live in Bangok either, where I live there are two Villas, a Lotus's, Big C, Tops, Makro and a Gourmet Market, but no Foodland.

That surprises me, having traveled through much of Thailand on my motorbike, there is always Makro and an occasion Tops in some places. Apart from Bangkok and Pattaya I have never seen a Villa or  Foodland.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That surprises me, having traveled through much of Thailand on my motorbike, there is always Makro and an occasion Tops in some places. Apart from Bangkok and Pattaya I have never seen a Villa or  Foodland.

Maybe on your travels pop into Hua Hin, and if you find a Foodland please let me know.

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Maybe on your travels pop into Hua Hin, and if you find a Foodland please let me know.

My travels on the motorbike have only been sometimes in Bangkok and Pattaya, never south of there. They have mostly been in Central Thailand and Isaan.

I have only been in Hua Hin once and that was when I was a school teacher, and the teachers at the school were invited down to Hua Hin for the weekend. It was a very nice place.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Villa Markets in Udon Thani, Phuket & Hua Hin, aside from Krung Thep.  FoodLand, not so many:

image.png.49ecb48022cb5b7283f9960fe779fad6.png

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

Siamburi sell lamb and lamb products in their Pattaya shop and also on their online outlet.

https://expatfoodsthailand.com/?s=Lamb

• Like 1

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Phuket, Hua Hin & Udon Thani have Villa supermarkets also and Foodland is in Korat.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason for my initial enquiry was due to Makro no longer stocking my preferred lamb product (minced/ground Australian), so wanted to explore any other options. 

Hopefully we'll continue to be able to buy lamb in Thailand, and perhaps one day the Thais themselves will start eating it more regularly too.

Thanks for all the replies on the subject.