Isuzu broke down today. AAA Thai style is it available? Is it ok to change gears often?

US AAA Thai style is it available? Transmission problem today - Note I am in the Chiang Mai area.

I have a 10 year old Isuzu with low miles which usually runs great; today the transmission started slipping as in the gears light up Park, Drive etc but it feels loose and won't move.

My wife likes to visit temples on back roads made of dirt. Today she got stuck (still is and luckily the monks called a local tow truck for her, so step one she is OK.

1) Should she have a village guy try to fix it or tow an hour or so to the Chiang Mai dealer?

My thoughts are if it is something very simple to fix ok fix in the village if not let the dealer fix it.

2) The guy who was driving was shifting often high low gear etc as it was a dirt road on hills - does that hurt a transmission?

3) And last but not least going forward is there a Thai style AAA available? I have Viriyah insurance but the car while in good shape is old so they only insure for liability and accidents...

Thank you for your help!

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It may simply be a hot transmission, from using too high a gear.

https://magazine.unsealed4x4.com.au/unsealed-4x4-issue-068/mu-x-common-problems-and-solutions

Thank you for the link lots of things to think about My Isuzu is a Mu 7 about 10 years old but low miles. But anything can happen in the countryside on dirt roads...

Call Tonn at ProAuto....He can have it towed in & checked....If unable to cure he will get it to the right people....

You want to get pointed in the right direction as A/T repair technicians are few in Thailand.....

Also, a caution = A/T fluids cannot be incorrect or mixed....In the old days ATF was the same for all transmissions...

With the advent of OD trans the fluid that they need is very specific to the manufacturer & needs to be the correct specs.....If you don't know the type of how to check & top off, either educate yourself or trust a pro....

It's nothing a shade tree "mechanic" around here should attempt or be trusted with....

It might not hurt to research Google with your model & concern/complaint= it could help, or at least inform....

I forgot the name but it was a small part that failed from age (10+ years old) the part plus labor at a dealer was 2,400 baht. 

Thank you guys for your support much appreciated. The plastic casing around my gear shifter now has a crack due to the mountain mechanic not having the correct tools to remove it but the dealer glued it back into place and I don't even notice the crack and it is a non moving part so lets let it be - also the replacement would be 5,000 baht and a long wait...

The mountain mechanic guy helped my wife return home safely so all is well... Note now she wants to go back with me - I love the mountains but am not excited about the temples as my Thai is just basic conversation not up to deep discussions...

On 11/6/2022 at 8:36 PM, TravelerEastWest said:

Here is a photo of the loose part:

Isuzu Transmission part.jpeg

The photo is the gearbox end of th shifter cable.  I suspect the bushing has failed. A cheap part. If you want, a complete replacement cable will be around ฿1000 from soMewhere like Lazada. More from the dealer. Bit fiddly to fit though..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

The photo is the gearbox end of th shifter cable.  I suspect the bushing has failed. A cheap part. If you want, a complete replacement cable will be around ฿1000 from soMewhere like Lazada. More from the dealer. Bit fiddly to fit though..

Thank you - already replaced at the dealer - not possible for me to do it... I don't trust most of the small shops to do a good job with the correct parts. From experoncethey can be honest and try to save you money but the savings aren't worth it when you have problems later. And I have had problems later...