ATM ate my card and locked up

Hi all

Just wondering if I have been the victim of some kind of card skimming trick, or if this was an ATM error.

I went to get cash, had inserted my pin and selected the amount of cash I needed. The ATM then froze for around 2 minutes, before eventually displaying a message that transaction had timed out. Whilst it froze I pressed cancel many times but nothing happened.

Just a slow machine, or some kind of fraud?

Cheers.

EDIT: After the 2 minutes and time out my card was given back to me from the ATM.

Edited by Noisyaircon2020
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Something similar to this has happened to me twice in the past 6 months.  Some ATMs are bad news.  Both times I never lost money.

Then you need to go to the bank to get a new card, which takes a long time.

• Like 1

More details about the ATM would be helpful. What bank owns the machine? Is it standalone or attached to a bank, 7/11 etc.

I had this happen in Indonesia and went to the bank when it opened and got the card back. There should be a phone number on the atm machine to call too.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I forgot to include that after the 2 minutes of the ATM locking up and transaction timing out, my card was finally returned to me by the ATM. (I have now edited my original post)

During that time, it just had the loading screen.

Re: the ATM, it was one out of a few ATMs inside a supermarket building.

I will speak to my bank about this to check everything is as it should be.

Thanks again

Edited by Noisyaircon2020

26 minutes ago, swerve said:

Something similar to this has happened to me twice in the past 6 months.  Some ATMs are bad news.  Both times I never lost money.

I try to use newer machine if there is a choice nere by.  SCM machines are newer. Some machines of Bangkok Banks are newer and most KasiKorn machines are older. That is my experience. 

Edited by Onerak

34 minutes ago, swerve said:

Then you need to go to the bank to get a new card, which takes a long time.

Depends on your definition of a long time. Mostly it will be done inside 30 minutes.

It is difficult to say what happened. 
You can either keep an eye on your account for fraudulent transactions.  Or contact your bank now for a new card.  Explaining what happened. 

Edited by swm59nj
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

I hope its not ATM card from country of origin then its a real problem?

The OP has gotten his card back.

I've had this happen to me a few times.

There's usually a serial number on the ATM.

You call the bank and they will hold the card for you when they come to check the machine.

You need to bring your passport to pick it up.

It's a pain in the <deleted> though.

Edited by Will27

In the new hardware place on Sukhumvit opposite Lotus, South Pattaya, returned card, but no money. Phoned bank and they said they'd return money inside a week. It was paid into my account after a couple of days. It was one of those rare SCB machines with a money tray which opens under the screen as opposed to a slot in the front.

This happened to me, also, but only once before. I went to the bank immediately and reported it. They said they couldn't give me my card back because they, the bank, did not service their ATMs themselves. They hire some other company to do that. That company just destroys all the cards that are found in the machine.

The whole situation sucks, I know, but you should immediately cancel your card and then apply for a new one. ☹️

• Like 1

1.  It did not eat his card!

2.  Was card Thai or foreign?

3.  Used to have happen often using foreign card when online approval required - data transmission issues - you get card back but may be charged for money you do not receive - but after several days money will be returned to your account with no action required.

15 hours ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

I went to get cash, had inserted my pin and selected the amount of cash I needed. The ATM then froze for around 2 minutes, before eventually displaying a message that transaction had timed out. Whilst it froze I pressed cancel many times but nothing happened.

Just a slow machine, or some kind of fraud?

After the 2 minutes and time out my card was given back to me from the ATM.

That's what happens when ATMs run out of enough cash to dispense mid-transaction.  You card was returned and your account wasn't debited, so no fraud.

15 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Report it to the bank, in person, as soon as possible. When you report it make sure that you reconcile your records with the banks, to make sure that your card has not been subsequently used. The bank should issue you a new card, change the PIN.

When I had to do that recently it only took about 20 minutes.

From what he said, the card was returned, machine did not keep it.

So no need to report it or replace it.

Thread title ("ate my card") is misleading.

The transaction simply did not go through. Maybe machine out of cash, maybe machine just not working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Report it to the bank, in person, as soon as possible. When you report it make sure that you reconcile your records with the banks, to make sure that your card has not been subsequently used. The bank should issue you a new card, change the PIN.

Not much need to report a closed down ATM to the bank, he got his card back so only he could subsequently use it and his account was not debited.

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If I do use an ATM ( very rarely ) I make sure it is the bank's ATM outside the bank itself, so if anything goes wrong I can get the problem attended to immediately.

I do the same thing.  I like it if the bank has an ATM machine inside the building to hopefully discourage thieves from attaching a card skimmer to the ATM.  

• Thumbs Up 1